It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Like to make a "run Junos on GNS3 for Absolute beginners"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:23 pm 

As the title says.

Problem. I am the absolute beginner.

If someone with patience, and no God-complex is willing to help someone get through some of the steps, I will make a truly for-beginners-How-to, as I did with Gns3 in my blog.

http://www.ccnporbust.blogspot.com

I am a CCNA, but that doesn't imply that I have any real Linux skills, and I am even lacking in some PC skills, such as Partitioning, etc. Not a total imbecile, and was able to struggle my way through making a hackintosh work out of a Precision laptop, so I can muddle through some things.

This isn't just for the heck of it, as I am in Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel, and many other devices every day at work in a simply monitoring role(For the Junipers). I'd like to be able to make this simpler, but in looking through several of the how-to's I am realizing that I do lack the experience to even know exactly what people are referring to in some of the steps or what OS they are even in when they are setting commands. I spent a long time in the field working mostly at layer 1, and have only been really working on the logical side for the last 4-5 years. I work in a fairly busy National Transport NOC, so have a grasp on some of this, but not most.

It's likely that I could probably get a hold of a live Juniper device to make this a moot point, but figuring this process out seems like skills I should have, and I'd like to make it simpler for others following.

In return, If someone wants to know how to build, Test, or monitor a TDM or Ethernet circuit in Cisco CTM/CTC, or Alcatel SAM, or use a JDSU test set, React/Spirent Test suite, etc. Learning to splice fiber/Copper/Coax ?, I should be able to help. ;-)

My setup:

Windows Vista 64bit Business main computer running GNS3

Secondary Dell optiplex, (single core 3.0ghz, 512mb ram, 40gb HD) that I have winXP Pro 32bit on, but could put whatever I want to on it if need be (linux whatever) to run it as the separate instance of Juno OS to connect to the other PC running GNS3.

Thanks to anyone that is interested in helping with this path.

The Questions:

First:

Qemu patching and compiling.

I have a recent version of GNS3 installed. This is a different Qemu than what is already installed with GNS-3 ? I don't think I have ever "compliled" anything.

I have a basic understanding of the QEMU, and have QEMU hosts set up on Microcore 3.8.2.
I don't expect people to entirely hand feed me this and am researching the dependancies, and what they are. Working on MinGW right now.
This, and the How-to will be solely focused on a Windows installation.

***edit*** I'll be doing screen shots down to the minutia like adding paths within your system properties environmental variables for the setup of MinGW, something I had never done until now.

Post subject: Re: Like to make a "run Junos on GNS3 for Absolute beginners
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:59 am 

LOL.

Jokes on me. So with the newest version of GNS3, Junos, works out of the box with the Free BSD/Qemu that is already installed with the windows install ?

Thinking this might be the case, I just added the path to the Junos IMG and lo and behold, it appears to work.

So much for the beginners How-to. Or, are there features that will not work due to not doing all the compiling and patching ?