It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Accessing GNS3 Routers remotely via Console or AUX?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

Hi all,

I have a linux server sitting in my home rack. It's currently running GNS3, and from what I could see when I hover my mouse on any router, I get some information about telnetting to this router via Console port 2002 and AUX port via 2000.

I understand that I could access all of my GNS3 routers remotely if I setup the 'Cloud' option but setting up

I was wondering if there is a way to access them via the Console or the AUX ports instead?

What I mean is:

telnet 10.0.0.20:2001 to access R1
telnet 10.0.0.20:2002 to access R2

So as long as my server is up, I could access any of the routers even if there is routing configuration errors.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Accessing GNS3 Routers remotely via Console or AUX?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 pm 

Support for the AUX port is patchy. Best to start by making sure you are using the latest version (0.8.2 at present) as there has been some development done to broaden support for the AUX port in this version. Once you have this version running, open your topology and re-save it. That should put a value in your topology.net file that has a port number for AUX access. (Check your topology.net file to be sure - you should see a line that says something like aux = 2501)

Now that is not the whole story. It seems that not all platforms are equal. I have had best success connecting to AUX on 7200 images. But since 0.8.2, I've also been able to get a 3725 image (c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.image) to work.

HTH

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 am 

rednectar wrote:
Support for the AUX port is patchy. Best to start by making sure you are using the latest version (0.8.2 at present) as there has been some development done to broaden support for the AUX port in this version. Once you have this version running, open your topology and re-save it. That should put a value in your topology.net file that has a port number for AUX access. (Check your topology.net file to be sure - you should see a line that says something like aux = 2501)

Now that is not the whole story. It seems that not all platforms are equal. I have had best success connecting to AUX on 7200 images. But since 0.8.2, I've also been able to get a 3725 image (c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.image) to work.

HTH

Is there a tutorial of how to connect to routers on a server remotely?

I mean, does what I'm asking about even exist?

I'm thinking of VPNing from work to my home network, and telneting to each single router in my server which's running GNS3.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm 

The concept is that each router has a port open to the console (and maybe the aux) port. Forget about the AUX port until you understand how the console works.
Lets say you are running a router on a PC with IP address 192.168.1.10 - and the router in question has a console set on port 2001. You can telnet to 192.168.1.10 port 2001 from anywhere in your network that can see 192.168.1.10. This has NOTHING to do with setting up a "cloud". It just requires that your host PC is accessible to the PC you want to manage this from.

If you want to pursue this further, you will probably find that on the servers that host the routers, you don't want to use GNS3 at all - simply use dynamips. Then on some other PC you can set up GNS3 with some "remote" hypervisors. But I am jumping a few concepts here. I'd suggest you start by looking at how you can have a setup and reach the console of these routers from a remote PC by telnetting to the correct port number on the host PC.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm 

Surprisingly, it's working now.

Using one of my PCs to access the routers in a remote PC is actually working fine:

telnet 10.0.0.30 2005 worked just fine. I tried that before and it never worked.

I now came up with an idea to connect remotely to ALL of your routers in a project in multi-tab configurations. I might upload another YouTube video to show everyone how.

Cheers mate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am 

It looks like it's working and working perfectly.

I uploaded another 'How to' video which shows you how to connect into multiple routers in one project all at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7r-VaOkqNw

Please provide me with feedback about the video. Please share and like it if possible.

Last edited by Khaled on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 am 

Great video - and it could lead to so many places!

Here's a couple of things you might want to explore (they are not BETTER than your setup, just mentioning them to encourage your pursuit of knowledge)
1. Do even run GNS3 on the remote PC - just run dynamips in hypervisor mode (dynamips -H 7200 I think is the command - check first)
2. Run GNS3 on your local machine - set up the remote machine as an External Hypervisor
3. See if you can integrate the Gnome connection manager into GNS3!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:03 am 

That sounds good! I will give these ideas a go..