It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GNS 0.8.3 pre-release testing
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:16 pm 

hi grossmj

can u add a new feture of supporting hot link adittion support in qemuwrapper while adding link between IDS and Juniper ets

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 am 

Bug found: Can not change the host name of "QEmu guest"
Quote:
---------Traceback lines (saved in exception.log)----------
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "GNS3\UndoFramework.pyo", line 220, in redo

File "GNS3\Node\AnyEmuDevice.pyo", line 237, in reconfigNode

File "GNS3\Dynagen\qemu_lib.pyo", line 435, in _setconsole

AttributeError: 'QemuDevice' object has no attribute '_AnyEmuDevice__d'

PS: I found out that when I tried to change QEmu guest name, GNS3 said error but after I saved my .net file, QEmu's name changed to new name that I did :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:37 am 

I do not know if there is another way for a VM to know his name in GNS3. In this case, the prompt of Linux-VM could be modified to be the same in GNS3.

GNS3 must do : VBoxManage guestproperty set "NameOfTheVMInVirtualBOX" NameOfTheVM "NameOfTheVMInGNS3"
Is it possible ?

To obtain this info in a script, the VM must do : VBoxControl guestproperty get NameOfTheVM

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:58 am 

Hi grossmj,

I've been testing the new 0.8.3 version on windows xp, especially the ASA part of it.
I could never save the ASA flash file in the 0.8.2 when using the save "save project as" so thought I would try it out on 0.8.3.
It now does copy the ASA0x folder into the working folder of the project - which is great but there is a problem trying to restart that project if the path contains spaces.

I tested with the path "D:\Documents and Settings\rochey\GNS3\Projects" >> the ASA doesn't work when starting a saved project (although debug in GNS says that it has started).
I tested with the path "D:\Projects" >> the ASA worked when starting a saved project.
and finally I tested with the path "D:\Pro jects" (a space between Pro and jects) >> the ASA doesn't work when starting a saved project.
Note: all the routers worked in all three tests.

Hope this helps.
I'll continue testing.

Rochey

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm 

Hi,

*Confirmed. You can't rename PIX/ASA/JunOS/ETC (Pemu/Qemu nodes) Errors exactly as "SARS" reported.

*Confirmed. Having space characters in Project/Working/Image directorys will crash Qemu process. As "rochey" reported (and possible match "UldisD" problem).
Pemu is Ok, because you first change the working directory to Project/Working and then start pemu from there just with [... -m 128 FLASH ...] without the full FLASH path ;)
On Windows you have to be always prepared and use double quotes to solve this problem
You already do that for qemu-img.exe
Code:
Fail (now):
qemu.exe [...]
-hda X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\ASA2\FLASH
-kernel X:\Lab\Images\ASA\8.0.2\asa802-k8.kernel
-initrd X:\Lab\Images\ASA\8.0.2\asa802-k8.initrd.gz
  X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\QEMU3\FLASH
-hdb X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\QEMU3\SWAP
-hda X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\IDS6\DISK1
-hdb X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\IDS6\DISK2
  X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\JUNOS7\FLASH
-hdb X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\JUNOS7\SWAP

Solution: Always use double quotes where a file is used, or where a value to a variable is used in command line (-var1 "value")
-hda "X:\Lab\Projects Dir With Spaces\Test_Project\working\ASA2\FLASH"
-kernel "X:\Lab\Images\ASA\8.0.2\asa802-k8.kernel"
-initrd "X:\Lab\Images\ASA\8.0.2\asa802-k8.initrd.gz"

* The backup nvram export (post-mortem) is kind of broken :)
When Dynamips is down + Save button = It does the export (Rx.recovered.cfg), but after that comes this error
This is when is trying to stop again (make it red from green), but was already red (stopped)
Code:
DEBUG (1): sending to dynamips at 127.0.0.1:7201 -> vm extract_config R2
Dynamips process 127.0.0.1:7201 has crashed
Exporting R2 configuration to X:\...\test\configs\R2.recovered.cfg using recovery method
---------Traceback lines (saved in exception.log)----------
  File "GNS3\Workspace.pyo", line 1359, in __action_Save
  File "GNS3\NETFile.pyo", line 975, in export_net_file
  File "GNS3\NETFile.pyo", line 936, in export_router_config
  File "GNS3\Dynagen\dynamips_lib.pyo", line 2340, in stop
DynamipsWarning: router R2 is already stopped
-----------------------------------------------------------

* If you add a Router/VBOX/Qemu/Pemu inside the topology, save the topology, then delete all the nodes from the topology
and save it again, there are some trace of Qemu/Vbox, but that is not the problem.
The problem is that if you close/reopen that topology, GNS3 will have to start one Qemuwrapper and one Vboxwrapper without a good reason :)
For Dynamips all are good :D
Code:
[vbox 127.0.0.1:11525]
    workingdir = working
    udp = 20900

[qemu 127.0.0.1:10525]
    workingdir = working
    udp = 30000
    qemupath = X:\...\qemu.exe
    qemuimgpath = X:\...\qemu-img.exe

* Dynamips IDLE-PC problem and solution "On Windows" :) - Jeremy please add a "hint" for this :)
Probably most of the users(including me!) are creating a IDLE-PC value while the router is showing the prompt in console "R1>, R1#, R1(config)#"
Well, you should never do that again! :)
Create a new IDLE-PC value only when the console is in idle state, with this message on the screen "R1 con0 is now available [...] (Press RETURN to get started.)" and without any router prompt (password/R1#/etc)
In this way your IDLE-PC value will be applied by dynamips from the moment the router is started, otherwise it will have effect from the moment you open a console and press some enter keys to bring the prompt :D
I hope this is working for you as is for me ;)
PS: This will only cover now topologies files (.net), For old files, please edit the file and manually change the "idle-pc" with the new value

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

Thanks for these precious feedbacks, I'll these bugs for the official release. Please keep tracking potential bugs. I plan to release Sunday or Monday evening.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 am 

Testing it on Mac OS X:

1. Double clicking on the .net file launches GNS3 if it was closed but it doesn't do anything.
2. Arabic language needs some serious work as a lot of the panels are still in English.

A lot of people download topologies from a lot of learning website. If I download a topology that has 3640 router, can I have the option to choose my own IOS instead of throwing the error that the IOS isn't found?

Thanks Jeremy and team!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 am 

This package crashes on my MacBook Pro with 10.7.3

RFMB:~ macbook$ python
Python 2.7.3 (v2.7.3:70274d53c1dd, Apr 9 2012, 20:52:43)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)] on darwin

6/4/12 11:05:27.268 AM GNS3: GNS3 Error
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: ---------Traceback lines (saved in exception.log)----------
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: Traceback (most recent call last):
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "/Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 60, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "/Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 57, in _run
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "/Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/gns3.pyw", line 82, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "GNS3/Main.pyo", line 25, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "GNS3/Application.pyo", line 26, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "GNS3/Dynagen/dynamips_lib.pyo", line 29, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "GNS3/Dynagen/portTracker_lib.pyo", line 28, in <module>
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: File "GNS3/Dynagen/portTracker_lib.pyo", line 37, in portTracker
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: gaierror: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known
6/4/12 11:05:29.253 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3: -----------------------------------------------------------
6/4/12 11:05:29.324 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x8d08d].net.gns3[961]) Exited with code: 255

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 pm 

hello,

here is a log_qemuwrapper_console :
Quote:
# python qemuwrapper.py
Qemu Emulator Wrapper (version 0.8.3)
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Thomas Pani & Jeremy Grossmann

Qemu path (qemu) is valid
Qemu-img path (qemu-img) is valid
Qemu TCP control server started (port 10525).
Listening on all network interfaces
Connection from ('127.0.0.1', 53436)
[Errno 32] Broken pipe
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 53436)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 641, in __init__
self.finish()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 694, in finish
self.wfile.flush()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 303, in flush
self._sock.sendall(view[write_offset:write_offset+buffer_size])
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
Connection from ('127.0.0.1', 53437)
Shutdown in progress...
Shutdown completed.
Qemu path is now /opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/qemu
Qemu-img path is now /opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/qemu-img
Working directory is now /tmp
!! QEMU1.console = 3000
!! QEMU1.netcard = e1000
!! QEMU1.image = /opt/GNS3/IOS/openwrt-R1
!! QEMU1.ram = 64
!! QEMU1.options = -L /opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/
Deleting old flash file: /tmp/QEMU1/FLASH
Deleting old swap file: /tmp/QEMU1/SWAP
Formatting '/tmp/QEMU1/FLASH', fmt=qcow2 size=55008768 backing_file='/opt/GNS3/IOS/openwrt-R1' encryption=off cluster_size=0
/opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/qemu-img returned with 0
Formatting '/tmp/QEMU1/SWAP', fmt=qcow2 size=1073741824 encryption=off cluster_size=0
/opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/qemu-img returned with 0
Command => /opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/qemu -name QEMU1 -m 64 /tmp/QEMU1/FLASH -hdb /tmp/QEMU1/SWAP -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=00:00:ab:dd:af:00,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:00:ab:d3:c6:01,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=2,macaddr=00:00:ab:21:ba:02,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=3,macaddr=00:00:ab:eb:4e:03,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=4,macaddr=00:00:ab:13:12:04,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=5,macaddr=00:00:ab:90:61:05,model=e1000 -serial telnet::3000,server,nowait -L /opt/GNS3/qemuwrapper/
Unable to start instance QEMU1 of <class '__main__.QemuDeviceInstance'>
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

(in gns3_windows : err 209 cant' start qemu instance !)

In debug mode it showed

Quote:
Listening on all network interfaces
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::handle()
Connection from ('127.0.0.1', 53335)
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::handle_one_request()
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::__get_tokens()
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::send_reply(code=200, done=1, msg=At least a module and a command must be specified)
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::handle_one_request()
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::__get_tokens()
QemuWrapperRequestHandler::send_reply(code=200, done=1, msg=At least a module and a command must be specified)
[Errno 32] Broken pipe
Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 53335)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 641, in __init__
self.finish()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 694, in finish
self.wfile.flush()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 303, in flush
self._sock.sendall(view[write_offset:write_offset+buffer_size])
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

If I replace the qemuwrapper.py by the one from gns3-0.8.2 ,then it runs smoothly with qemu_guest
this happened both with qemu-0.11 and qemu-system-i386 (from git )
( Of course I did cheat by modifying _version_0.8.2 into 0.8.3 to avoid "checking error_exit" )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
it's not perfect yet ;-) : the name of this interface on GNS3 is e1, while this name on Linux is e0 (eth0)

The interface name match VBox numbering.

Quote:
As for GNS3 0.8.2 BETA2 : When i create my own symbol : Name "Guest VPCS", Type "Cloud" and picture "computer", it has also the proprieties of the symbol "Host" (nio_gen_eth:). Or I used the wrong method.

Not really a bug but yes this one has not been fixed.

Quote:
On linux, a lab with 1 Router and 1 VMBox (Linux), and the option "Bring console window to front" enabled. The window of the Router doesn't appear when I double-click on it. I have the same with gns3-vbe 0.8.1. Known bug because of "experimental feature" ?

Well, yes this is experimental and I didn't implement this feature, so I don't really know what's wrong.

Quote:
Features Requests (if it isn't too late)

Can you add an option to turn on from the start "show interface label" ?
The menu to select the virtual machine to a "VBOX-Host" only shows the virtual machines that are not already in the laboratory.
Can we have an option for each VM-Box that indicates of to launch it in the background (VBoxManage startvm "VM name" --type headless or VBoxHeadless --startvm <uuid|name> ) ? Only if it is enabled, the gns3's menu has an option "console" (as for Router) who launches an command given in the interface of configuration. We should have access to a few parameters for configure this command (port or name of the VM).

I implemented "The menu to select the virtual machine to a "VBOX-Host" only shows the virtual machines that are not already in the laboratory." but for the rest this is gonna wait a future version.

Quote:
*Confirmed. You can't rename PIX/ASA/JunOS/ETC (Pemu/Qemu nodes) Errors exactly as "SARS" reported.

This is fixed now.

Quote:
*Confirmed. Having space characters in Project/Working/Image directorys will crash Qemu process. As "rochey" reported (and possible match "UldisD" problem).
Pemu is Ok, because you first change the working directory to Project/Working and then start pemu from there just with [... -m 128 FLASH ...] without the full FLASH path ;)
On Windows you have to be always prepared and use double quotes to solve this problem
You already do that for qemu-img.exe

Fixed as well. Needs careful testing.

Quote:
* The backup nvram export (post-mortem) is kind of broken :)
When Dynamips is down + Save button = It does the export (Rx.recovered.cfg), but after that comes this error
This is when is trying to stop again (make it red from green), but was already red (stopped)

Fixed as well. Please also test the "Export all configs to directory" feature as it calls the same function to export them.

Quote:
If you add a Router/VBOX/Qemu/Pemu inside the topology, save the topology, then delete all the nodes from the topology
and save it again, there are some trace of Qemu/Vbox, but that is not the problem.
The problem is that if you close/reopen that topology, GNS3 will have to start one Qemuwrapper and one Vboxwrapper without a good reason :)
For Dynamips all are good :D

Fixed!

Quote:
* Dynamips IDLE-PC problem and solution "On Windows" :) - Jeremy please add a "hint" for this :)
Probably most of the users(including me!) are creating a IDLE-PC value while the router is showing the prompt in console "R1>, R1#, R1(config)#"
Well, you should never do that again! :)
Create a new IDLE-PC value only when the console is in idle state, with this message on the screen "R1 con0 is now available [...] (Press RETURN to get started.)" and without any router prompt (password/R1#/etc)
In this way your IDLE-PC value will be applied by dynamips from the moment the router is started, otherwise it will have effect from the moment you open a console and press some enter keys to bring the prompt :D
I hope this is working for you as is for me ;)
PS: This will only cover now topologies files (.net), For old files, please edit the file and manually change the "idle-pc" with the new value

I added a help button to the IDLE PC dialog box. This gives some hints to get good idlepc values.

Quote:
1. Double clicking on the .net file launches GNS3 if it was closed but it doesn't do anything.

Well this is not supported on OSX. Something they (Apple) don't do like everyone else.

Quote:
2. Arabic language needs some serious work as a lot of the panels are still in English.

Someone has to update it ... unfortunately I don't speak Arabic ;)

Quote:
A lot of people download topologies from a lot of learning website. If I download a topology that has 3640 router, can I have the option to choose my own IOS instead of throwing the error that the IOS isn't found?

GNS3 will try to automatically find an alternative IOS image. I reckon this is a something to improve.

Quote:
This package crashes on my MacBook Pro with 10.7.3

This is fixed now. Please test again when I update the package soon.

Thanks for your help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next