It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bridging virtual to physical interfaces within ESXi server
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 am 

Hello Chaps,

I've been using GNS3 for a little while now and i'm happy enough with creating a virtual network and getting it all up and running with routing working throughout.

I now need to take the complexity of my setups to the next level and discovering them with Network Monitoring tools via SNMP over an internal network (With public ip addressing).

Now i seem to be having issues with bridging my virtual router interface and the Virtual Machine interface that this environment is hosted on. I have full connectivity between the VM hosting my GNS3 environment and the VM hosting the Network management software so i'm 100% certain it's not a routing issue between these two points, however there is NO connectivity between VM -> GNS3 pointing to an issue with the link between Router -> Cloud -> VM.

I've done some basic configuration work but can't seem to get anything to work, things i have tried:

[*]Adding a "nio_gen_eth:\device\npf_{5dc37266-6064-4e9c-b629-3e5bb2e5b42b" line to the interface that on the ROUTER that is connected the CLOUD with the .net file within the project directory.
[*]Creating a loopback interface on the server, but it disconnects my RDP access
[*]Setting the VM to promiscuous mode from Vsphere
[*]Tried doing the following download/file.php?id=620&mode=view, but the options within vsphere are different and couldn't find the relevant configuration tab.
[*]Following various video tutorials that go through setting this up.
[*]Double checked that the ip addressing on both interfaces of the link between router -> cloud are in the same subnet
[*]I've tried running it in Vista SP2 compatability mode

Below is a picture of my setup with relevant information taken out, showing the configuration of the cloud and pointing to a possible issue with the interface that is being presented within the cloud configuartion:

If anyone has any suggestions i'm more than happy to try them and report back. Once i have this set up and working I will document what i did to help benefit the community.

Best regards,

Jeci

Post subject: Re: Bridging virtual to physical interfaces within ESXi serv
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:48 am 

Hello,

A quick update - I'm still having issues but i think I have progressed.

I've configured a loopback interface but i can't bridge it with my VM NIC as it will drop off my RDP connectivity. I can ping from the VM command line to the router ip address of the United kingdom that is bridged with the loopback int.

If anyone has any suggestions it will be very much appreciated. As far as i can see the routing is fine and shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Jeci