It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: console onto a switch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:10 am 

Hi Guys,

my first post so please be patient. I've installed and configure the software. I was able to get the gns3 activate and a few ios downloaded. My first project is on inter-vlaning and so I have 2 routers and 2 switches that i'd like to do some tests.

I can't seem to get into the switches. Is there a trick? I can get on routers but how do I get into a switch to assign a managed ip address?

Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: console onto a switch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:36 am 

You need to be a little more specific as to your "switch."

Do you have physical switches? If so you need to have a console server or a usb to serial adapter or something connected to the console port on the switch. Once you configure the switch you can telnet into it via a VTY port.

You can get a console to the routers because dynamips opens port 2000+ for console connections to the virtual routers. If you mean a GNS3 switch then there is no console as it is simply a gui based config and all it does is basic vlan tagging and trunking, no IP addressing or any of that cool stuff. If you mean the GNS3 etherswitch then getting console connection there should be the same as the virtual router.