It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Request for feature: qemu-system-sparc inegration
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 am 

ccnaccnpccie2013:

IOU runs (also) on Linux / x86, on commodity hardware. (And maybe on Solaris x86 via Linux zones)
SPARC justification for neither Solaris nor for IOU doesn't hold water. Both run on x86 Intel/AMD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 am 
Site Admin

The best and most up-to-date IOUL2 images run only on Solaris SPARC. They don't get the stupid bugs found in x86 ones.

Ona (a user on this forum) tested many of them. Here is what he told me, this is quite complete:

Quote:
ALL the L2 sparc IOUs don't have problems with looped topologies. With the list of L2IOU below, I have found that sept16-ec is the most stable. What I mean stable is, you can basically do "most" switching features with it, and that includes pvstp/mstp/rstp, spanning tree features like root/loop guard, uplinkfast, bbfast, portfast edge/trunk, and l2/l3 etherchannels. but still, sometimes you will get issues with l3 etherchannels using the "mode on" command. You first need to shutdown the ports before configuring it as l3 portchannels, or else do a reboot. Pagp/lacp doesn't work..

unixl2-upk9-ms.july9-blue_flag -09-Jul-10 (compiled date)
unixl2-upk9-ms.june21-blue_flag -21-Jun-10
unixl2-upk9-ms.sept16-ec -16-Sep-10
unixl2-upk9-ms.port-security -30-Sep-11
unixl2-upk9-ms.june3-ec -03-Jun-11

Sometimes I use port-security image when there's a task asking about port security feature, as its the only IOU on that list that supports port-security.

Here's the result of my tests with those L2IOU:

unixl2-upk9-ms.july9-blue_flag and unixl2-upk9-ms.june21-blue_flag:
-these images are pretty much the same feature wise. only noticeable problem is l3 etherchannels. its very difficult to set it up on both of these image. but all spanning tree technologies works on these images. i might missed some features as i didn't test these images as often as the sept16-ec version.

unixl2-upk9-ms.sept16-ec:
-my favorite image. only problem is it doesn't support voice vlan and port-security.

unixl2-upk9-ms.port-security:
-this is the only image that supports port-security feature. mac addr sticky,shutdown/restrict violation command works just like the real thing. pretty awesome.

unixl2-upk9-ms.june3-ec:
-this is pretty much the same stability of sept16-ec. BUT, and i mean a very BIG BUT, it doesn't work with
iou2net.PL script. which means, we can not use it with gns3. aside from the unix sockets at /tmp/netio0 directory, it also generates another directory named /tmp/netl10, that i don't really know the purpose, on which the iou2net.PL script wasn't accounted to work with. i think you guys who are elite programmers/developers can revised the iou2net.PL script to fix the issue.

Features that are NOT SUPPORTED on ALL L2 ious:
1. mls/catalyst qos
2. private-vlans (commands are supported, but doesn't really work, see below for config sample)
3. pagp/lacp L3 etherchannels (commands are also supported but port-channel interfaces doesn't come up)
3. protected ports
4. storm control

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm 

Hi,
I can't get working more than one NIC on sparc machine (SS5, SS20) run by Qemu. NIC is not created and there is an error message in console.

/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-sparc -bios /usr/local/share/qemu/ss20_v2.25_rom -M SS-20 -nographic -boot c -hda ./36G.disk -cdrom /home/brezular/packages.iso -serial telnet:0.0.0.0:3000,server -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=00:aa:00:60:00:01,model=lance -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap0,script=no -m 512 -cpu "TI SuperSparc 60" -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:aa:00:60:00:02,model=lance
QEMU waiting for connection on: telnet:0.0.0.0:3000,server
Warning: requested NIC (anonymous, model lance) was not created (not supported by this machine?)
QEMU 1.0.50 monitor - type 'help' for more information

Just want to let you known, guys.

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm 

We should take that up to the Qemu devel list.

Anyways, I think this might help your tests: post18116.html#p18116
One NIC might still be enough if you connect it to a switch or any device that can act as a bridge. I didn't take time to test it more than that, I hope the community will find a use for this.