It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: GNS3 0.8.4 RC2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 am 

actionmystique wrote:
grossmj wrote:
Hello,

GNS3 0.8.4 RC2 is now released. Because there are quite a lot of changes since RC1, we have decided to release one more release candidate version before a final 0.8.4.
[*] Qemu 1.3 has been removed from the all-in-one (not fully functional).[/list]

Does that mean that we won't be able to emulate ASA and JunOS anymore?

No, you're still able to emulate ASA and JunOS by QEmu 0.11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:13 am 

SARS wrote:
How to connect dynamips and IOU? Any tutorial out there?

This should help you
http://twopacket.zymichost.com/2012/03/ ... laris.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am 

I'm looking forward to test this release.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am 

Installation Idiosyncrasy

This is subtle, and even having done about 20 fresh installs over the past week I only just noticed it. But to a newcomer it would bewilder them!

Steps 1 & 2 of the Setup Wizard need to be reversed.

Reason? Here's the sequence of events

Step 1: Test dynamips - click OK
- At this point a pop-up window appears asking if you want to create the Image and Project folders/directories.

Step 2: Configure the path to your Image directory...

Ummmmmm - didn't I just confirm that I wanted the Images directory created at the end of step 1???????????????????

Solution: Swap steps 1 & 2 in the Setup Wizard.
Or if you feel that Step 3 (Add IOS Images to your Image directory) should follow the "Configure the path to your Image directory" step, then put the current Step 1 (Test dynamips) last.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 pm 

@Jeremy

Just discovered
Quote:
I really like having VPCS integrated into the GNS3 toolbar (nice touch), but I would like Terminal and VPCS from the Tools menu to open my default terminal type. It's very annoying to see xterm open on Linux when I use Gnome Terminal for everything else in GNS3.

Thanks! Haven't tested it fully, but hopefully will make it easier for Win 8 users - as well as the other items in Tools.

Re:
Quote:
it wasn't even supposed to be accessible for OSX/Linux.

Hey - it would be great to have it working in OSX/Linux. Have only tested in LinuxMint - I get "Cannot locate vpcs" - but I don't know where it is looking for vpcs. I put vpcs in /usr/bin/ so that it is in the path, but that makes no difference. (So where IS it looking?)

But the Tools menu actually does raise a couple of issues, but some of these were brewing anyway.

At the moment, the Console Tab in Preferences has some pre-configured options for the Cisco Console, and a "suggested" console command for VirtualBox.
Now I love the Tools menu - even if it was a mistake for Linux (haven't tested OSX yet) but it does deserve some options in Preferences

My concern is - should these preferences be configured under "Terminal" or does "vpcs" deserve it's own tab - and for that matter, should the VirtualBox console be configured under "Terminal" or under "VirualBox"?????

And the $64000 question - if there are going to be extensible commands/tools - do they each deserve their own configuration tab?

My take?
I think that the Terminal options need to be expanded to include options for the Terminal and vpcs Tools. In the future, a drop=down list of other possible pre-configured command lines might be nice - and so too for VirtualBox. In fact, for OSX/Linux, it would be nice to be able to choose one Terminal app and have all four (IOS console, VIrtualBox console, vpcs and Terminal) be instantly updated for all four. IN THE FUTURE.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 pm 

I am having issue with running ASA 8.4 in new GNS 3 0.8.4 RC2 which gives following error and reboots the ASA again and again.
error:-
grep: /mnt/disk0/.private/startup-config: No such file or directory
Starting Likewise Service Manager
Processor memory 79691776, Reserved memory: 41943040
WARNING: LINA Monitor notification queue not created
No such file or directory
IMAGE ERROR: An error occurred when reading the controller type
REBOOT: open message queue fail: No such file or directory/2
REBOOT: enforce reboot...

while this ASA image in working in 0.8.4 RC1.

what could be the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm 

actionmystique wrote:
grossmj wrote:
Hello,

GNS3 0.8.4 RC2 is now released. Because there are quite a lot of changes since RC1, we have decided to release one more release candidate version before a final 0.8.4.
[*] Qemu 1.3 has been removed from the all-in-one (not fully functional).[/list]

Does that mean that we won't be able to emulate ASA and JunOS anymore?

I believe Qemu-0.11.0 is still included, so yes you can continue to run Qemu based systems on Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:40 pm 

P.K wrote:
Does IOU provides all functionality for CCNP Switch? Which features that are impossible to emulate using ESW we will get?

Not all functionality is there, but a bunch. I'm sure it depends on your IOU switch image. I haven't vetted out all the possibilities, but it easily provides enough functionality for CCNP study.

-Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Quote:
Installation Idiosyncrasy

Interesting word :) Anyway, I agree that I should change the sequence.

Quote:
Hey - it would be great to have it working in OSX/Linux. Have only tested in LinuxMint - I get "Cannot locate vpcs" - but I don't know where it is looking for vpcs. I put vpcs in /usr/bin/ so that it is in the path, but that makes no difference. (So where IS it looking?)

Ok, right now vpcs has to be in the same directory as gns3. I know, it should at least search in all the paths in the PATH environment variable. I'll fix that.

Quote:
But the Tools menu actually does raise a couple of issues, but some of these were brewing anyway.

At the moment, the Console Tab in Preferences has some pre-configured options for the Cisco Console, and a "suggested" console command for VirtualBox.
Now I love the Tools menu - even if it was a mistake for Linux (haven't tested OSX yet) but it does deserve some options in Preferences

There is definitely room for improvement. I quickly made it made it because Windows 8 users should have a easy way to access the scripts included with GNS3. So this should be considered as temporary before I come up with an advanced implementation with extensible commands/tools.

Quote:
My concern is - should these preferences be configured under "Terminal" or does "vpcs" deserve it's own tab - and for that matter, should the VirtualBox console be configured under "Terminal" or under "VirualBox"?????

Hummm ... hard to say. I will think about it.

Quote:
And the $64000 question - if there are going to be extensible commands/tools - do they each deserve their own configuration tab?

I think yes.

Quote:
My take?
I think that the Terminal options need to be expanded to include options for the Terminal and vpcs Tools. In the future, a drop=down list of other possible pre-configured command lines might be nice - and so too for VirtualBox. In fact, for OSX/Linux, it would be nice to be able to choose one Terminal app and have all four (IOS console, VIrtualBox console, vpcs and Terminal) be instantly updated for all four. IN THE FUTURE.

This is a nice idea (to update all four) and yes, in the future... I've so much to do before ;)

Let me know when you have finished all you tests with RC2 and think it is rock solid for a final release.

Thanks for everything!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm 

@Jeremy

idlemax = 100 is the setting I used.

@tranztwww

Opening console window with CR-LF is a real timesaver, especially for large topologies. Nice work, greatly appreciated!!!

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next