It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 connected to 3560 .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:30 pm 

I finish my CCNA this upcoming tuesday when I write ICND2. I want to move right ahead with my CCNP. At work I have access to gear that I can build a lab with. We have a plethora of Dell Poweredge 2950s that I can mix and match and come up with an almost endless number of Quad core, 32 GB RAM, SAS local disk and 14 nics. We have 3 3560s sitting on a shelf right now for break/fix or future expansion. So I can use them in the meantime. I want to build out a decent environment for preparing for the CCNP Switch exam. I have connected a 3560 to GNS3 fine using a cloud and a 3725 router. I can ping the vlan1 interface of the switch from the GNS3 router and vica versa. So, here's my question. And this might just be that I'm a little brain dead today, but what do I do next? How do I use this in my topology to help advance switching studies? I can't connect virtual PCs or anything to the 3560 cloud. I'm just a little bit stalled right now and would love some tips on how to make use of this server + real switch + GNS3 combo.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: GNS3 connected to 3560 .
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 pm 

Quote:
How do I use this in my topology to help advance switching studies

@arcadius

Cisco outlines very specific goals for the CCNP SWITCH exam. You can start by visiting the Cisco website and looking into what's required. You can also purchase a CCNP SWITCH exam book, or go on-line to find lab examples.

Once you know what the objectives are, there are several ways to integrate physical switches into your GNS3 topologies; you can create an 802.1Q trunk link from a GNS3 switch node to your real Cisco switch, you can create a breakout switch, or you can create one-to-one Ethernet links for each VLAN.

With all those NICS in your work PC, you may want to go the one-to-one route. Use a Cloud node for each VLAN in GNS3, and configure each Cloud to use an NIO Ethernet interface in your PC. Plug each NIC into an access port on your real switch, being sure that each switch port has been assigned to a unique VLAN. Do this for all your VLANS. This switch can then be configured with trunk ports to other real switches. When you create your GNS3 project, link a GNS3 router into each VLAN through the GNS3 Clouds.

This is a highly condensed and simplified example of what can be done, but it should get you started. The first step is to look into what skills you need to know for your certification.

Best of luck,
Jason

Post subject: Re: GNS3 connected to 3560 .
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:52 pm 

I setup a 3750 Router and have it connected to my Physical Switch via the quad nic solution. But any PC's I put on my 3560 Switch i can't ping the Switch or the Router?

I am able to ping between Router and Switch?

Any ideas? I can provide info if needed. But really need help here.

Thanks