It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: windows 7, GNS3 0.8.2 save router config
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:51 am 

I've windows 7, GNS3 0.8.2. I'm unable to save configuration of routers so routers come up with blank config each time i close and than restart gns3. how to save configuration so that routers can come up with config whenever I start config ang load the project that i saved with router configs?

Post subject: Re: windows 7, GNS3 0.8.2 save router config
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 am 

1. Did you check the checkbox [x] Save IOS startup configurations when you started the project?
2. Did you save (write memory or copy run start) from within your router configs?
3. Did you click File | Save project from within GNS3 - AFTER completing 2 above?

If the answer to all of these is YES, then check your settings for your project directory. In your project directory, you should find a directory based on the name of your project, and in that directory you should find a configs file with your saved configs. So long as you did steps 1, 2 and 3 above.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:54 pm 

Hi, Thx for you reply.

I get error "can't create directory C:\Program Files\GNS3\PROJECTS\test123" : access denied. this is when i click on "new blank project" where "Save IOS startup configurations" option is.

could you advise?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 pm 

Quote:
If the answer to all of these is YES, then check your settings for your project directory.

To check your settings for your project directory, click Edit | Preferences, then under the General heading, look for the field called Project directory:

From the text of your error, it seems that this field is either blank, or set to C:\Program Files\GNS3\PROJECTS\

It should be something like C:\Users\UserName\GNS3\Projects, or some other location where UserName has write rights.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm 

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

so that works but now I ran across another problem.

I went to edit|preference and than changed the path to c:\documents\gns3\projects" and created new project "test123" and it got saved in the path i mentioned along with R1 router config.

than I closed gns3 and than started gns3 again. after that, I went to open test123 project so i clicked on .net file "topology" .net file (dynagen network file) that was saved in test123 folder but i'm getting and error msg "Open:permission denied".

how to resolve it?

Thanks again for your kind help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:17 am 

I suspect something didn't get updated properly.

Thought #1:
Check Edit | Preferences, then under the General heading, look for the field called Working directory: - it too should be something similar to the Projects directory - like C:\Users\UserName\GNS3\Working

Thought #2:
There is some other specific directory location somehow saved in your topology.net file.

In a Windows file browser window, navigate to C:\Users\UserName\GNS3\Projects\test123 and find the topology.net file. Right click on it and open with Wordpad - have a look and see if there are any directory names specifically mentioned in there that don't look right.

Doing this kind of troubleshooting really helos you get to know how GNS3 works.

Good luck.