It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: unable to ping 2 routers in the topology with virtualbox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:45 am 

hi,

i am working on a project where i have to penetrate the ipsec vpn with backtrack5.

the vpn is placed between 2 routers and they have Virtualpcs connected to them.

those two routers are connected to a third router which is connected to virtualbox containing backtrack5.

the problem is i m able to ping my topology with any virtualpcs to any part of that particular topology, but unable to ping the virtualbox.

moreover i am able to ping from virtualbox to the external interface of the 3rd router which is connected to virtualbox itself, but then again it is not pinging with the other routers and at the same time its not able to ping with the interface of that particular router which is connected to other routers.

on my physical OS i have windows7....n i have my firewall disabled on both physical as well as virtualbox...

any help would be very benefical....thanks...

Post subject: Re: unable to ping 2 routers in the topology with virtualbox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm 

Can you share the running config of all routers? and also a screenshot of the topology would be great :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:24 pm 

hi,

thanks for the reply...

i have attached the configs of those 3 routers (in a zip file)..along with 2 screenshots of the topology..

well i m able to ping from Vpcs1 to any part of the topology till right router's f1/0...

but i m unable to do that to BT5 (Backtrack5)..which is on virtualbox...moreover i m able to ping from BT5 to right router f1/0...n vice versa...but as i try to ping s0/1 of it..it shows "network is unreachable"..

i havnt set any ipsec vpn by now on (which i m thinkin to configure btw left and central routers)...

n through BT5 i would like to penetrate it...thts the plan...but so far it only shows except f1/0 of right router...tht "network is unreachable"...

thnks in advance for any help...

Attachments:
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG [ 134.25 KiB | Viewed 5876 times ]
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 32.19 KiB | Viewed 5876 times ]
router configs.zip [1.36 KiB]
Downloaded 294 times

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:25 pm 

Can you provide a show route output from the three routers?

And also a traceroute from the BT5 Virtual to all remote nodes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm 

well i have attached ip routes of those 3 routers....

but as far as traceroute from BT5 (virtualbox) to remote nodes is cncrnd...it is showing = "network is unreachable"...

except..to the f1/0 node...to which is it already connected...with it..its pinging well...n the traceroute is workin fine.....but with rest other part of the topology it isnt pinging at all....as it claiming to b unreachable...

1 more thing...even telnetting is not working frm virtualbox to routers in gns3...whenever i m tryin to do tht....its showing...connection lost by foreign host...if thts the prb...then what should i do it to fix it...

thanks in advance...

Attachments:
routes.zip [1.49 KiB]
Downloaded 273 times

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Why don't you use a VirtualBox node? This is possible directly from GNS3 (see Preferences -> VirtualBox), no need to use a NIO_UDP!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:31 pm 

hi..

well i guess NIO_UDP are used for the Vpcs in m topology...n as far as their connection is crncd...they are working absolutly fine...the prb is commin on just the connection of the right router wth the virtualbox...well its connection fine...n the points are pinging wth each othr....its jst that...the virtualbox connection is not connection (or pinging) wth other ports of tht router (right)...n the topology itself...

or is it tht i have to connect it from virtualbox node...i dont knw too much abt tht...as i havnt worked wth tht before...any light on it...will b grt...

thnks in advance....

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm 

hi,

moreovr now i hav found another problem with it...n that is i m not able to telnet routers with each other...as it shows "connection closed by foreign host"...could tht b the prb for virtualbox not pinging with other nodes of the topology...

if so...then how can i fix it...any help would b grt...thnks