It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Which qemu?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 am 

rednectar wrote:
Thanks for sharing your notes.

Re seeing the command line that qemuwrapper passes to qemu, just start qemuwrapper BEFORE you start GNS3 - you'll get a message about qemuwrapper not being shut down when you exit GNS3, but in the window where you stared qemuwrapper you will see something like:

HTH

Thanks, I'll make a note of that. Running on Windows 8 at present. Qemu creates stederr.txt and stdout.txt in the directory where the .exe resides (Windows specific) - I use these a lot for debugging too. One of the really annoying thing on the earlier Windows ports for Qemu/Pemu was the working directory being created somewhere in the user's temp directory structure. I discovered that this has changed in 0.8.4-RCx to be under the project working directory - great move! I can now find and manage those FLASH files much easier!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 am 

nickbeee wrote:
rednectar wrote:
Thanks for sharing your notes.

Re seeing the command line that qemuwrapper passes to qemu, just start qemuwrapper BEFORE you start GNS3 - you'll get a message about qemuwrapper not being shut down when you exit GNS3, but in the window where you stared qemuwrapper you will see something like:

HTH

This doesn't work for me with RC3 on Windows 8. I had to start it as qemuwrapper -n. Checked with netstat -p tcp and it's listening on 10525 tcp. When I start GNS3 and create a new ASA project I can see a connection to port 10525. Once I start the ASA this connection closes. I can't see qemu console listening on port 3001.

It all works perfectly from within GNS3, I can see the parameters when I hover over the ASA. And yes, I probably should try RC4 too...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm 

@ nickbeee
Curious. The output I posted was from Win8 (standard). All I did was:
Code:
cd "\program files\GNS3"
qemuwrapper.exe

Then started GNS3, added an ASA device and hit START.

You are correct, qemuwrapper listens on port 10525 by default [Trivia: it is port 10525 because, as Thomas Pani explained to me "The PIX 525 was highest model pemu emulated at that time, but we wanted an unprivileged port, 1525 is IANA registered, so 10525 seemed nice."]

In fact, you could even telnet to 127.0.0.1 10525 and issue some commands - if you knew what the commands were! Best to leave that to GNS3
Here's a couple of commands you could use:
qemu version
qemuwrapper close
qemuwrapper stop

See the source code for more.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm 

rednectar wrote:
See the source code for more.

OK, I found my problem. If you run qemuwrapper.exe stand-alone it expects to find qemu.exe in the same directory or the later qemu-system-i386w.exe in a subdirectory qemu\ ...

Code:
if platform.system() == 'Windows':
    if os.path.exists('Qemu\qemu-system-i386w.exe'):
        QEMU_PATH = "Qemu\qemu-system-i386w.exe"
        QEMU_IMG_PATH = "Qemu\qemu-img.exe"
    else:
        # For now we ship Qemu 0.11.0 in the all-in-one
        QEMU_PATH = "qemu.exe"
        QEMU_IMG_PATH = "qemu-img.exe"

I'm using the latter (1.5.0 Win64). Thanks for those pointers, I've grabbed the source code and compiled it.

I'm currently exploring options to get the console listening on other interfaces for console connections - it's only listening on 127.0.0.1. If I wanted to use a router in GNS3 as a console server then I would need to configure it to listen on, say, the MS loopback interface. If I run it outside GNS3 it listens on all interfaces by default but when called by GNS3 it's only listening on 127.0.0.1. Edit - found that in advenced settings -

Attachment:
qemu advanced opt.jpg
qemu advanced opt.jpg [ 49.63 KiB | Viewed 3283 times ]

Nick.