It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: uninstall defecates on itself
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 am 

<superKlingonStrengthProfanityFilter>

I installed the latest GNS3-0.8.5 package. I specified the CCNA directory where I have a lot of stuff that I have not backed up in accordance with Murphy's Law. After the installation, I realized I had brain-farted and not given it a subdirectory so all its files were all over the place in that directory. No problem, I thought. I'll just use the handy uninstaller and remember to install in CCNA\GNS3 rather than in my root CCNA directory. The uninstaller removed CCNA\ICND2 and wiped out all files in CCNA\ICND1 as well as everything else. It went bonkers. I saw all kinds of files scrolling up and was about ready to pass out. I've lost about a week or more of work. Some of it I don't even know is gone yet. Doesn't Windows have some kind of tar -xvf that will list the files that YOU CAN LOG and use those to delete?

Why is Windows software in general like herpes? You can't get rid of it and it is all over places you expressly don't want it to be. When I was working on commercial UNIX, we would just enable varying levels of debug until every command exactly as executed was logged. You can then run this in reverse. Using this, how hard could it possibly be to write an uninstaller that doesn't defecate all over a user's hard drive?

I'm also surprised an open source site would host very shady ads right in forums. A nice big green Download button on the download page that is an ad? Cmon.

I guess my real request here is suggestions for a good undelete. Most of them look like they have malware.

Post subject: Re: uninstall defecates on itself
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

<superKlingonStrengthProfanityFilter>

Quote:
I installed the latest GNS3-0.8.5 package. I specified the CCNA directory where I have a lot of stuff that I have not backed up in accordance with Murphy's Law. After the installation, I realized I had brain-farted and not given it a subdirectory so all its files were all over the place in that directory. No problem, I thought. I'll just use the handy uninstaller and remember to install in CCNA\GNS3 rather than in my root CCNA directory. The uninstaller removed CCNA\ICND2 and wiped out all files in CCNA\ICND1 as well as everything else. It went bonkers. I saw all kinds of files scrolling up and was about ready to pass out. I've lost about a week or more of work. Some of it I don't even know is gone yet. Doesn't Windows have some kind of tar -xvf that will list the files that YOU CAN LOG and use those to delete?

I am sorry you lost your data, the current uninstaller will delete EVERYTHING in the install directory which I agree is not great at all. We used a method provided by the installer software we use (NSIS installer) back a few years ago and haven't changed that since. Logging all the installed files so that the installer only delete these one would definitely be the way to do it. I'll have this on our TODO list.

Quote:
Why is Windows software in general like herpes? You can't get rid of it and it is all over places you expressly don't want it to be. When I was working on commercial UNIX, we would just enable varying levels of debug until every command exactly as executed was logged. You can then run this in reverse. Using this, how hard could it possibly be to write an uninstaller that doesn't defecate all over a user's hard drive?

Windows, at least for a development point of view, sucks (Registry, DLLs etc.) The all thing is just a big mess.

Quote:
I'm also surprised an open source site would host very shady ads right in forums. A nice big green Download button on the download page that is an ad? Cmon.

I am sorry you feel that way too but open source doesn't mean we shouldn't get something out of our work. Ads pay the bills and even a bit more. Besides that, we do not control what ads are displayed, Google does.

Quote:
I guess my real request here is suggestions for a good undelete. Most of them look like they have malware.

I took good note and this will be done in GNS3 1.x versions.

Thanks for suggesting it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

I don't mind open source making money at all. It is just the deceptive, shady ads that would catch a casual user. The fake download ad I almost clicked myself. It makes you look cheesy rather than intellectual.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't mind open source making money at all. It is just the deceptive, shady ads that would catch a casual user. The fake download ad I almost clicked myself. It makes you look cheesy rather than intellectual.

I understand, I do not like these kind of ad either. I would prefer ads directly related to technology/networks that actually bring something to interested users. I will see if I can filter out shady ad like the fake download button.

Do not hesitate to let us know what can be improved in GNS3, ideas are always welcomed.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm 

To the OP - for Windows, putting your project and directories outside the GNS3 is one way of ensuring they don't get overwritten by updates and uninstalls. Another way is to back up your important work.

How technology has changed our lives. No longer do you hear "the dog ate my homework". ;-)