It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to setup GNS3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:29 pm 

I have am VERY new to gns3 and i have actually installed it on my Windows 7 box

The thing is i just want to use it to study for the CCNA exam. Now i also have Virtualbox installed

So how do i setup and use gns3? I am asking this because i am new to using gns3 and to be sincere i still have no idea how the whole thing work.

So can someone please help direct me in the right direction? Do i install it on Windows 7 or i should install it on the Virtualbox?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: How to setup GNS3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 pm 

i need help guys
please let me know exactly how the setup works.

if i want to use virtual box and want to use gns3 networking with the VMs..how does this work?

Also if i install directly on Windows 7 ..in what scenario do i use it?

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 am 

looks like this is another of those forum that people just dont reply.
The reply am looking for is probably a few minutes of ur time.

I just need a direction to follow to u se gns3. i want to take the CCNA 200-120 exam and that is all. I have virtualbox.

I just nee to know what exactly gns3 will help me do and how to setup the lab to practice. Yes i have searched the internet and youtube but a reply can direct me to what i am looking for. Just searching not knowing what i need is what my problem is to date.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:49 am 

It's ironic how you're calling yourself gns3guru and you don't know how to set it up :D

Check out my videos. These will help you in setting up GNS3 properly.

Depending on what operating system you're running, there is playlist for each:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GNS3Talk

As to how it is going to help you. Well, your connect two virtual routers together and setup their interfaces and see if you can ping them! Once you can do that, see if you can add a third router and setup a routing protocols or static route and check the connectivity.

If you want to check what's inside a packet, then use Wireshark (built to GNS3) to verify what's inside them.

If you have VirtualBox, then you can connect your virtual machine guest into a router and do whatever you want to do with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 am 

Khaled wrote:
It's ironic how you're calling yourself gns3guru and you don't know how to set it up :D

well i plan to be a guru soon :)

ok i have downloaded gns3 and i choose the all-in-one for windows 7
below is screenshots
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 175.22 KiB | Viewed 8244 times ]

Attachment:
2.png
2.png [ 153.44 KiB | Viewed 8244 times ]

So what is next for me to do. I also saw somewhere i need to have iOS images...i have been trying to get an iOS image but not even sure which one exactly i need...i am trying to go for the Cisco 3660 but then the first one i found in .bin and unzipped and found an empty file..so i will try search for another again but if you have an uncompressed iOS image that i can start off with please send me the link to get it.

Anyways those are the screenshots and it is not like the ones i see in videos and everywhere else..so that confuses me a little as well

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 am 

gns3guru wrote:
looks like this is another of those forum that people just dont reply.
The reply am looking for is probably a few minutes of ur time.

I can assure you the forum here is very active, with lots of contribution from everyone including the developer... But remember this, GNS3 is a free piece of software, meaning there are no guarantees of support. Everyone who helps on this forum, does through good will and due to us all having lives means we can't always reply instantly. Just bear that in mind.

gns3guru wrote:
So what is next for me to do. I also saw somewhere i need to have iOS images...i have been trying to get an iOS image but not even sure which one exactly i need...i am trying to go for the Cisco 3660 but then the first one i found in .bin and unzipped and found an empty file..so i will try search for another again but if you have an uncompressed iOS image that i can start off with please send me the link to get it.

Yes, you will need to get hold of IOS images. You will be looking for .bin files for any of the routers listed here: http://www.gns3.net/hardware-emulated/. When you import them into GNS3, it will take care of uncompressing the image for you, as they are not just a regular compressed file.

To add the IOS to GNS3 take a look at the following howto: topic7117.html

gns3guru wrote:
Anyways those are the screenshots and it is not like the ones i see in videos and everywhere else..so that confuses me a little as well

GNS3 recently had a major update and rework, so the new interface has changed slightly from what you'll see in most videos.

Hope that is of some help to you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 am 

claydon_dan wrote:
Hope that is of some help to you.

Thanks a lot..i am beginning to get an overall view with gns3 now..i have now been able to add couple routers.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 am 

Khaled wrote:

If you have VirtualBox, then you can connect your virtual machine guest into a router and do whatever you want to do with it.

How do i do that?
What video explains this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 am 

Khaled wrote:

actually never mind..found the video that addresses connecting virtualbox with gns3