It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The cisco switch performance
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:02 pm 

Cisco say that 2960-24PC-L switch has performance 32Gbps, can anybody explain me in detail formula for calculation of 32Gbps?
We know that, this switch has only 24 port 10/100Mbps and 2 ports 1Gbps = 24*100*2(ful duplex)+ 2*1000*2(full duplex) = 8800Mbps or 8.8Gbps.
How is calculated 32Gbps?

Post subject: Re: The cisco switch performance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:10 am 

It was explained to me once that the number is the amount of traffic that can be handled within the switch not what is being passed along. I'm not 100% true that is the case either.

Post subject: Re: The cisco switch performance
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm 

It refers to the backplane speed of the switch (the actual hardware in the switch) and how fast a packet can be transferred from one port to another. The packets are processed through an ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit) chip which is a bit like a CPU and passed to the appropriate port that a specific MAC address has been learned. The MAC address table is held here so the switching can be done through hardware and not software (which is a much slower process, much like routing). This is the reason why true managed switching has never been available on GNS3, but with the new update coming up soon, this is going to possible... a very exciting time for GNS3 users everywhere :)