It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RedNectar's GN3v1.x Suggestions [Vol II]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:32 pm 

Here are some more of my suggestions for improving GNS3 - this is a continuation from my earlier post topic7581.html
  1. Export/Import IOS Startup Configs Rethink

Firstly Export

The current behaviour is that when I Export my IOS Startup Configs (or Extract configs to a directory), I am presented with a dialogue to choose the target directory where my startup configs will be exported to. When selected, the following two things happen:
    1. A copy of the last saved (write mem) config of each router is placed in that directory
    2. The topology.net file is updated to point to this new directory for all router configs
      For example, if I Extract to the directory E:\MyConfigs - say because I want to put a copy of my configs on a USB stick in E: drive, then if I save my project my topology.net file will have an entry for each of my routers saying (E.g):
      [[ROUTER R1]]
      cnfg = E:\MyConfigs\R1.cfg

I believe the behaviour should only perform step 1 above - NOT step 2. I have a couple of reasons:
    1. This behaviour is not in keeping with the idea that a "Project" is a topology.net file in a directory with several dependant directories off that directory - including the configs directory
    2. The resulting behaviour can be quite devastating - like in the example above where the configs are extracted to a USB stick, and the project saved again afterwards. Next time that project is opened, it will be looking for the configs on the USB stick which may not be there, and even if it was, why would you expect that your configs would be anyplace else except in the configs directory where there were originally set up.

One more thing - I believe the default directory when you select the Extract to a directory option should be the project's directory - the one that has topology.net in it.

Now Import

Import works quite well and behaves as expected - no directories are changed in topology.net and the imported files are simply copied to the configs directory of the current project.

But the problem is the inexperienced user who MIGHT expect that the imported configs would be imported into the RUNNING config. I see two ways to avoid this:
    1. Simply NOT ALLOW the import option to be selected if any routers are running - perhaps with a message saying:
      IOS routers must be stopped to be able to import a startup config
      OR
    2. An alert could be presented to the user after importing the configs to remind them that
      Your imported configs will not become active until you stop and restart your IOS routers

2. GUI Enhancements
    I realise the GUI will be rewritten, but here are some features I'd like to see;

• When you hover the mouse over a device, it gives you lots of information – but NOT the x,y co-ords (or the z plane factor for that matter). I'd like to see this in the "hover-over" action
    • A new [GUI] tab in the Device | Configure option that shows you the x y z and dx dy co-ords for an object and be able to edit them. Possible move the style options (colour, font etc) here too.
    • The ability to change the font style (typeface, colour) for routers and other devices.
    • when saving topology.png, make it trim white space around the devices so you don't tiny routers in the middle of a white sea!
    • A new item View | Zoom to fit - and a corresponding Zoom to fit button on the toolbar.
      The way I see it working is that when you click the Zoom to fit option, the topology would be resized to a) fit in the available workspace, and b) remove as much white space as possible to fit and c) be centred in the screen
    • Undo move object – about the only time I want to use undo is when I’ve (accidentally) moved an object on the screen – but is not there – and it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get back to exactly the same position as it was.
    • When moving objects, have a little (x,y) counter appear on the screen (perhaps in the status bar at the bottom of the window, or a balloon just above the object) that tells you the co-ordinates of you object so you can drop it in the right place. (Moving multiple objects would give you the co-ords of the top-left hand object)
    • A "Snap to Grid" option would be nice, to make it easier to align objects. Requires a parameter to set grid size
    • A selected object should be able to be moved (by one "snap to grid" sized unit) each time an arrow key is pressed.
    • Holding the Shift key while moving an object should force it to move at an angle of 0, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 135,150, 180, 210, 225, 240, 270, 300, 315, or 330 degrees from its current position.
    • Align object centres (horizontal or vertical) would be nice! Currently only aligns top/left
    • A line tool. With optional arrows
    • I love the -1 value for the z co-ord to send stuff to the background layer. I'd like to see it so that you can send everything (including devices) to the background - and even a shortcut to send everything to the background once your topology is gorgeous!
  3. GNS3 Console

The GNS3 Console is a useful feature - I hope it is staying in V1.x, But there is one more thing I'd like it to do.

Currently, when you issue a show run command from the console, it shows the "dynagen" configuration, but not the "GNS3" GUI configuration.

I'd like to see either
    1. show run in console to show GNS3 data too
      OR
    2. a new GNS3 console command show run GNS3 which shows the topology.net config INCLUDING the x, y & z values for devices AND the config from the [GNS3-DATA] tag onwards

In my next instalment, I'll talk about IP bindings and IOS image handling

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Last edited by rednectar on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
typo

Post subject: Re: RedNectar's GN3v1.x Suggestions [Vol II]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

As usual your suggestions are excellent. I'll keep this post for later when I start to work on the GUI (right now working on the server/framework part).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

Any suggestions for IOS images and hypervisor management? (the plan his to merge this to the Preferences window and I haven't decided the GUI layout yet)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 am 

Please include Mountain Lion & Mavericks Full Screen Mode

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:29 am 

@Jermey,
I'll try to do something tonight

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
@Jermey,
I'll try to do something tonight

No worries if you can't. I am just anticipating because I plan to work on this later this month.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm 

@Jeremy:
Some questions
Firstly, re-assure me that my picture is correct.

Each hypervisor (dynamips (when started with -H 7200), qemuwrapper and vbox wrapper) each start a process that sits and listens for messages on ports 7200, 10525 and 11525 respectively.

When a user click the Start button, GNS3 then sends messages to each of these hypervisors to tell them to spawn VMs according to the topology - and in the process manages what TCP and UDP ports are used for Console/AUX and the UDP tunnels between the devices.

So my questions are -
What does the qemumanager do?
What difference does it make if I check or uncheck the Advanced option [x] Enable Qemu Manager
What does the Advanced option [x] Use Qemu Manager when importing do?
Similarly:
What does the vboxmanager do?
What difference does it make if I check or uncheck the Advanced option [x] Enable Vbox Manager
What does the Advanced option [x] Use Vbox Manager when importing do?
and
What does the Dynamips | Hypervisor Manager option [x] Use Hypervisor Manager when importing do?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:35 am 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Quote:
What does the qemumanager do?

This is an hypervisor built around Qemu because it doesn't have one. The wrapper receives commands thru the network, keeps track of the settings, creates the correct command line and start/stop Qemu binaries.

Quote:
What difference does it make if I check or uncheck the Advanced option [x] Enable Qemu Manager

If you don't check Enable Qemu Manager, then the wrapper isn't started by GNS3, you have to do it manually (this is where the external Qemu wrapper comes).

Quote:
What does the Advanced option [x] Use Qemu Manager when importing do?

It automatically starts the wrapper when you import a topology in GNS3.

Quote:
What does the vboxmanager do?

About the same as above but for VirtualBox, the difference is that the wrapper talks to a VirtualBox daemon using an API instead of starting a binary.

Quote:
What difference does it make if I check or uncheck the Advanced option [x] Enable Vbox Manager
What does the Advanced option [x] Use Vbox Manager when importing do?

Same as above but for VirtualBox.

Quote:
What does the Dynamips | Hypervisor Manager option [x] Use Hypervisor Manager when importing do?

About the same as above but for Dynamips. However, instead of a wrapper the Hypervisor Manager manages Dynamips hypervisors directly.

However note that the wrappers will be gone in the new GNS3 and most likely these options as well.