It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interface shutdown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm 

Hi all,

If I'm shutting down an interface of a switch (implemented by a router) using shutdown command, can i present it in GNS3? I mean, would I see a red dot that tells me that interface is down (if it is connected to another device)?

Hope I explained myself well enough.
Thanks,

Shaked

Post subject: Re: Interface shutdown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 pm 

In my opinion: NO. Why? Let's imagine that you have two routers and a switch on your desk. And you want to connect two REAL routers, but connecting them via a switch. Topology will look like:
Router_1<==>Switch<==>Router_2.

Next, try to shut down Router_1 interface towards switch. Would Router_2 interface should go down? No. There's no need to explain anything, right?
So, let's get back to GNS. You've created topology and you connected Router1 and Router2 with direct link (without using any switch available on the left panel). You're trying to send packets between your routers. What is happening?
Note that both of these routers are VIRTUALIZED, and none of them have physical interfaces. All interfaces are also VIRTUAL. So, INTERNALLY, both of there routers are connected to hypervisor, which is called by gns and is running in background (and, on top of your operating system). That hypervisor is dynamips - it makes all 'magic'. Having said that, your topology really looks like:
Router_1<==>dynamips<==>Router_2.
It looks familiar to real-world scenario when connecting routers indirectly with switch. Also, connecting Router with a switch (builtin simple ethernet switch or any router with NM-16ESW ethernet switching card) is implemented the same way: R1<==>dynamips<==>Switch - and you have still the same answer...

Note: I have no deep knowledge about dynamips and GNS, and the reasons of that 'feature' might be different. It is just my imagination about that feature...