It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need to simulate ISP Router Network
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:44 am 
Hi All!

I need to simulate an ISP's network with at least 20 routers, I can use IOS images and topology which i have with me.
I wish to run some test cases on this setup and following are my queries:

a. What kind of system can host 20 virtual routers? I need to know the hardware configuration required for the host system with CentOS/Ubuntu Linux?
b. What precautions needs to be taken to move/replicate a setup from one machine to another, once this setup is done we may need to replicate it on some other machines also?
c. I created a simple topology with two routers and both are able to communicate with each other on serial and FastEthernet ports but how to connect my host machine with this as i wish to replay some collected data on these virtual network.

I am working on a project and doing some test cases, so once these setup is complete and test cases are done, i will upload the complete findings to share with others.

Wish to get an informative response.

Thanks & Regards,
Parveen Khera

Post subject: Re: Need to simulate ISP Router Network
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 pm 

Hi,

Did you managed to create the network ? Can you send me an example of it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

Hi Parveen,

I Believe that you can run this scenario in Linux(Debian or Xubuntu) with 3GB ram memory.

You can connect your machine to GNS3 with loopback interface, but you need to run the GNS3 with Root Privilege(Or Admin Privilege in Windows)

If you need to collect data between to router, try to use Wireshark.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm 

parveen.khera wrote:
Hi All!
a. What kind of system can host 20 virtual routers? I need to know the hardware configuration required for the host system with CentOS/Ubuntu Linux?

1. CPU:
My GNS box is Athlon II X2 255, 8G of RAM and I use Linux Debian. CPU is 2-core unit, so max CPU usage is 200% for single process (as reported by top). So, in my case: having 100% CPU means 1 core is funnning at full speed while second is idle. Or, both of two cores are running at half speed.
I created topology with 12 routers (c3660-jk9o3s, some of 12.4 line) and have 90-110% cpu utilization, with pure routing (no access lists, IPSec and so on), and witout generating or capturing traffic on project's network. So, in theory, I can have 20-30 routers running.

According to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 255&id=139 - My CPU scored at 1838, so having system with CPU score 2500-3000 (of course more is better) should handle any topology with 20-25 routers, even in worst scenario. If you're about upgrade your current platform, you can check CPU scores based on CPU socket and check if your system is worth upgrading.

2. Memory
My (mentioned above) topology consumed circa 1.1GB of RAM, and I took high memory mark with all routers running (with my config) for a few minutes, with console access to all routers (konsole). The low memory mark was taken after closing topolgy AND gns3.

parveen.khera wrote:
c. I created a simple topology with two routers and both are able to communicate with each other on serial and FastEthernet ports but how to connect my host machine with this as i wish to replay some collected data on these virtual network.

IMO you should read:
1) http://www.gns3.net/documentation/gns3/ ... opologies/
2) http://www.gns3.net/documentation/gns3/ ... -networks/

and, you should download and read an old but still valuable document named "GNS3-0.5-tutorial.pdf" (google for that name, it's available from sourceforge).