It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 ver 1instalation and Python 3.3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 pm 

Hi,
I did install python 3.3 ad followed the how to but whenever i run gns3server i get the error that python3.3 or above is required.
Note: python3.2 also gets installed whenever i tried to install setup tools but python3 --version always yeilds python3.3.

rohit@Rohit:~/GNS3/gns3-server-master/gns3-server-master$ python3 --version
Python 3.3.5

rohit@Rohit:~/GNS3/gns3-server-master/gns3-server-master$ gns3server
GNS3 server version 1.0-alpha1
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 GNS3 Technologies Inc.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/gns3server", line 9, in <module>
load_entry_point('gns3-server==1.0-alpha1', 'console_scripts', 'gns3server')()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/gns3_server-1.0_alpha1-py3.2.egg/gns3server/main.py", line 50, in main
raise RuntimeError("Python 3.3 or higher is required")
RuntimeError: Python 3.3 or higher is required

Post subject: Re: GNS3 ver 1instalation and Python 3.3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 am 

Any help please perhaps any clue ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:42 pm 

I had a similar issue on Ubuntu 12.04, where it seemed like I accidentally installed the gns3server with it pointing to the wrong Python version. I'm not really sure of an easy way to fix it, so I just wiped the VM and loaded Ubuntu 13.10 instead, which already has Python 3.3 (3.3.2 actually I think) by default and no other Python3 version.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had a similar issue on Ubuntu 12.04, where it seemed like I accidentally installed the gns3server with it pointing to the wrong Python version. I'm not really sure of an easy way to fix it, so I just wiped the VM and loaded Ubuntu 13.10 instead, which already has Python 3.3 (3.3.2 actually I think) by default and no other Python3 version.

Yes the current version won't run with Python 3.2. I am thinking allowing it in the next alpha release because so many Linux flavors still come with python3.2 and no easy upgrade available (i.e. Debian Wheezy).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Yes the current version won't run with Python 3.2. I am thinking allowing it in the next alpha release because so many Linux flavors still come with python3.2 and no easy upgrade available (i.e. Debian Wheezy).

If that's possible I think it would certainly be a good idea, I'm not sure when the next Debian release is due.. but it won't be for a while since Debian 7 "Wheezy" hasn't long been out, and unless python 3.3 gets backported.. wheezy won't see it!

I need to run some tests and see if some of the other packages can be backported to wheezy.. ie: python3-netifaces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If that's possible I think it would certainly be a good idea, I'm not sure when the next Debian release is due.. but it won't be for a while since Debian 7 "Wheezy" hasn't long been out, and unless python 3.3 gets backported.. wheezy won't see it!

I have tried to make things work on Python 3.2 this morning but there are a lot of small differences between 3.3 and 3.2, like the Exception hierarchy, timeouts for subprocesses, the .clear method for list etc. I am afraid trying to support Python version < 3.3 will just bring more issues. An alternative would be to freeze the applications (gui & server) for systems that don't have Python 3.3 using something like cx freeze http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/ This is already what I do on Windows.

Quote:
I need to run some tests and see if some of the other packages can be backported to wheezy.. ie: python3-netifaces

python3-netifaces is not an hard dependency. It is used only to get the OS's network interface list in 'cloud' devices, this could be replaced by a similar package but I am not aware of any other than this one.

Code:
        try:
            import netifaces
        except ImportError:
            raise DynamipsError("The netifaces module is not installed")
        self.send_response(netifaces.interfaces())

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am 

josephraa wrote:

may be that can helps you
http://askubuntu.com/questions/244544/h ... python-3-3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am 

grossmj wrote:
Quote:

I have tried to make things work on Python 3.2 this morning but there are a lot of small differences between 3.3 and 3.2, like the Exception hierarchy, timeouts for subprocesses, the .clear method for list etc. I am afraid trying to support Python version < 3.3 will just bring more issues. An alternative would be to freeze the applications (gui & server) for systems that don't have Python 3.3 using something like cx freeze http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/ This is already what I do on Windows.

Ack.... In that case I shall have a look at the possibility of backporting python 3.3 to wheezy-backports

grossmj wrote:
Quote:

python3-netifaces is not an hard dependency. It is used only to get the OS's network interface list in 'cloud' devices, this could be replaced by a similar package but I am not aware of any other than this one.

Code:
        try:
            import netifaces
        except ImportError:
            raise DynamipsError("The netifaces module is not installed")
        self.send_response(netifaces.interfaces())

Ack... I shall run some tests shortly and see what I can figure out!

Edit: Just had a quick look and I don't backporting python3.3 is going to work! There are so many dependencies not present in Wheezy, that I don't think it's going to be practical... But if I have some time I may look at exactly what other packages would be needed

Last edited by claydon_dan on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Add more info