It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: is VPCS supposed to be same as virtualbox?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm 

alpha 6 is vpcs supposed to be same? I clicked the help and selected the VM section and it shows how to do the old gns3 8.xx VM's. It does not show how to do the new. Are their instructions somewhere or is VPCS not for VM's? ( I want to add in my virtual box iosxr routers).

Post subject: Re: is VPCS supposed to be same as virtualbox?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 am 

VPCS is not the same as Virtualbox.

VPCS just creates a "Virtual PC" you can ping/traceroute to and from, it doesn't actually run an operating system

Virtualbox allows you to 'virtualise' an operating system.

So if all you need is somthing you ping/traceroute etc... I'd use VPCS. If you want to be able to for example view a webpage through your virtual network, Virtualbox will be the way to go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:50 pm 

thank you very much for the information. I do have a very good feel for all of the words that you have written. I can read them and they are understandable. Does: VPCS have the ability to import a VM as did the older gns3? if that is not clear I will try a new way to write and ask it.

Prior to the release of all gns3 alpha, gns3 had a selectable gui feature. It was located under EDIT. then preferences. then virtualbox. edit\preferences\virtualbox. this is were I would import VM features. I only used it to import IOSXR vm's, I created those with Oracle virtualbox. I do not want to do any other task, only import IOSXR vm's. Does gns 3 alph do it or not? If yes is it the selectable VPCS? I tried the gns3 help and it directs you to the old gns3 instructions.
thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am 

VPCS won't let you import a VirtualBox VM... but fear not... VirtualBox integration is around the corner... and should be present in the next release I believe