It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [SOLVED] IOU problem GNS3 1.0a7 - re-naming issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am 

Hi Guys,

Bit of a strange problem going on with IOU on v1.0a7.

Did a fresh install of mint 17 x64 - added all the relevant packages and install from the newly released v1.0a7.

IOU works fine in topologies - UNLESS i change the name of the device.

Let me explain : build a topology of 6 IOU devices - 1*L2 and 5*L3 - configure to my hearts content - save - come back another day start the same topology and everything is sweet.

Do exactly the same thing again - but when i initially drag the IOU icon from the left panel to the work area and then change the name via a right click and configure - it takes the name and everything works fine - up until the point i save the topology shutdown my pc and then later wish to restart my configs - then it say the ioudevice i.e. iou device-1 does not exist.

I browse via my home directory and all the gns3 config's and iou instances inc sub files and folders for the project are present.

I have had to revert back to 1.0a6 as this does not occur in this version.

I have reproduced the same error many times trying to understand where the problem occurs, and it occurs when you rename the IOU instance when creating your initial topology - does any one have a fix so i can move up a version please.

regards,

Dogscahonas

Post subject: Re: IOU problem GNS3 1.0a7 - re-naming issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the issue, I've recently figured this bug out. This will be fixed soon (dev version & for alpha8 to be released next Monday).

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] IOU problem GNS3 1.0a7 - re-naming issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:05 pm 

Cool! Had the same problem - I thought it was because I was reading from an "older" .gns3 file. Looking at the file (.gns3) I noticed that there was no label attribute tied to the device ID. I went in an re-created the <project>/iou/<device-n, n=1,2,3 ...> folder structure, according to ID<->label mapping and could open the file back up - oh, and had to copy nvram000[n] back into approriate device-[n] folder .... :-)
<enthusiasm>
Gotta love a program that makes you do so much work - :-) But it is definitely WORTH it.
Great release aplha 0.7, btw - bringing back labelling, text additions, graphics makes GNS3-1.0 infinitely preferable to using Visio - bar none! You can draw a network diagram with enough information to maake it readable by someone else, and test it at the same time - extremely valuable. Great work guys!
</enthusiasm>

Kim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:42 pm 

H1, i have same issue here i don't understand what recreation of folder
structure should be, can you please make an example based on this output?
Thx

Working directory /home/gns3/GNS3/projects/ine ccnp switch/iou/device-5
doesn't exist

"description": "IOU device",
"id": 26,
"iou_id": 5,
"label": {
"color": "#000000",
"font": "TypeWriter,10,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0",
"text": "IOU5",
"x": 9.8515625,
"y": -25.0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 am 

Anyone feel free to chime in if this isn't up-to-snuff... this used to be a problem, but not with the current released beta-1v3...
I think the issue was with the order of the steps to create a project. This was also with an earlier (beta-1.0v1, I think) of the software ...
1. Create a diagram of your desired network structure, without changing the device names, but including the creation of links between devices;
2. start up the topology, then look at the folder structure in ~/Documents/<project-name> - you should see a list of device directories ("device-1", "device-2", "device-3", etc.)
3. now enter some configurations, save them (within the device consoles).
4. now change the names of the devices, by right-clicking on the devices and clicking on "Configure"
- for each device, change the device label from the assigned default, click "Apply" then click "OK"
5. Now save the overall project and stop all devices.
6. quit gns3 client program.
What used to happen before is that the ".gns3" project file seemed to "lose" the association with the device's changed name and the device-id. IN the latest version that I tried (beta-1.0v3) this does NOT happen, and the program behaves as it should.
You could recover the configurations from the nvram_NNN files and simply copy the contents of each of the "device-n" folders back ... but the format of the ".gns3" file has changed (been corrected...?) and the behaviour hasn't re-appeared (for me, at least, on some pretty "heavy" configurations).
I might suggest that you forget about trying to recover your previous-versions design and move to the newer version of released beta - and chalk things up to experience :-) The folder structure has not changed (right?) and devices are appropriately tracked in the "gns3" project configuration file.
My 2-cents...
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 pm 

muma wrote:
Anyone feel free to chime in if this isn't up-to-snuff... this used to be a problem, but not with the current released beta-1v3...
I think the issue was with the order of the steps to create a project. This was also with an earlier (beta-1.0v1, I think) of the software ...
1. Create a diagram of your desired network structure, without changing the device names, but including the creation of links between devices;
2. start up the topology, then look at the folder structure in ~/Documents/<project-name> - you should see a list of device directories ("device-1", "device-2", "device-3", etc.)
3. now enter some configurations, save them (within the device consoles).
4. now change the names of the devices, by right-clicking on the devices and clicking on "Configure"
- for each device, change the device label from the assigned default, click "Apply" then click "OK"
5. Now save the overall project and stop all devices.
6. quit gns3 client program.
What used to happen before is that the ".gns3" project file seemed to "lose" the association with the device's changed name and the device-id. IN the latest version that I tried (beta-1.0v3) this does NOT happen, and the program behaves as it should.
You could recover the configurations from the nvram_NNN files and simply copy the contents of each of the "device-n" folders back ... but the format of the ".gns3" file has changed (been corrected...?) and the behaviour hasn't re-appeared (for me, at least, on some pretty "heavy" configurations).
I might suggest that you forget about trying to recover your previous-versions design and move to the newer version of released beta - and chalk things up to experience :-) The folder structure has not changed (right?) and devices are appropriately tracked in the "gns3" project configuration file.
My 2-cents...
Kim

but i have this issue on beta3, and topology was created on beta1, then continued on beta3

isn't it possible to get configs for IOU through GNS3 OVA?