It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OS X Alpha8 Local Dynamips Switch Remote IOU Server
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 pm 

I'm currently on Alpha 8, with the GUI running in OS X and the IOU server running in a VM. My question is, what is the status of being able to connect a switch running on the local dynamips server with a remote IOU instance? My ultimate goal is to be able to connect local cloud instances (e.g., XRv, CSR1000, vSRX, ASAv, etc.) with IOU instances without having to create the network connections in the VM hypervisor. Currently, the only way to approach it is through a local switch instance, but it doesn't appear to see the traffic to/from the cloud instance or the remote IOU instance.

Conversely, is a future build likely to support the connection of a local cloud instance with a remote IOU instance?

Post subject: Re: OS X Alpha8 Local Dynamips Switch Remote IOU Server
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

A cloud is always local to the machine where it is created. You do not need a cloud to connect IOS to a remote IOU instance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 am 

I believe mikej is asking if it will eventually be possible to do a direct local cloud interface connection to a remote IOU connection. For example, the current implementation requires an intermediate Dynamips switch to connect a local cloud interface to an IOU device.

Will a local cloud interface eventually be able to omit the Dynamips switch for a direct connection to the IOU device?

Just think if we could could substitute all these Dynamips switches, connected to VMware appliances, with L2 IOU switches. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Oh ok I see, make way more sense with screenshoots ;) Well I like the idea. I am going to add it on my long TODO list :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 pm 

Thanks!

The problem I'm having is that in the first scenario, the local switch (SW1) isn't forwarding traffic between the tap0 device and the remote IOU instance. For now, the work-around is to use cloud objects on the remote IOU VM with a ton of virtual NICs for bridging to various VMs. The big downside of this is that either the IOU VM OS (Debian 7) or VMware fusion itself seems to have problems with passing tagged frames, so 802.1q trunks between VMs doesn't work.