It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bridged Interface on Fedora Host (Solved)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 pm 

Hi all,

I set up a bridge on a Fedora 20 box and added the ethernet interface to it. Then I installed dynamips-0.2.13/GNS3-0.8.7 from source. I created a simple topology in GNS3 and added a router along with a cloud pointing to the br0 bridge on the hosting machine and now I can't ping the Fedora IP but I can ping other devices on the local network (i.e. the default gateway for the network).

Very simple topology but the bridge on the machine hosting gns3 seems invisible. I kind of assumed the router interface that is connected to the cloud would act as if it were plugged into a switch along side the hosting Fedora 20 box's ethernet interface. Is that not the case in this simple topology? Should the cloud point to a different interface on the hosting machine?

Wireshark on the bridge on the hosting machine shows the pings to the default gateway in both directions during a successful ping. During a failed attempt, it also shows the ECHO REQUEST to the hosting IP address but the hosting machine simply ignores it. I'm confused as to how this would be possible. If Wireshark sees it, I thought the network stack must see it also.

I'm _sure_ this is something silly I've forgotten but I've been looking at this for 2 hours now, hence the post request.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

I found this post which explains the configuration of GNS3 when bridging with a linux host:

http://www.blindhog.net/linux-bridging-for-gns3-lan-communications/