It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Idle pc problem
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:44 pm 

I know you are probably thinking about how this thread is going to be a fail one, but pls continue to read.
I have 2 routers running in gns3 with the consoles opened, and the CPU utilization for dynamips wont go lower then 50%, and i don't see where is the problem.
I tried every idle pc available, lowering the idle max to 100,300,500,but still, nothing worked. Could u please help me, because i'm getting really desperate....
I'm using the c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14 image.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Idle pc problem
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 pm 

Under Edit/IOS images and hypervisors choose your IOS and restore default IDLEMAX=1500 and idlesleep=30.
On new topology, do:
1. put new 3725 router
2. start it
3. open console (right-click on the router, choose "Console")
4. wait till console appears, press "enter" a few times, you'll get the "R1#" prompt
5. right-click on the router, click "idle-pc", wait till idlepc is collected, you'll get the window with idlepc values. Do not choose anything, do not close it - leave it as is.
6. open Windows Task Manages (from Programs menu or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
7. choose (sequentially) all idle-pc values collected by clicking "apply" (and not "OK") and watch for CPU usage. Choose value that generates lowest CPU usage (it is possible you will get more than one)
8. Click "OK" and choosen value will be put as default

You have no need to set idlemax and idle sleep in Edit/IOS Images. It is not needed, really. Changing these values never worked for me. I could always get the working idlepc with above steps.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 pm 

i tried your solution already before, but still, thank you very much for the effort. Somehow, i think it had some conflict with the VMWare utility so it is fixed now. It was a weird issue,but i hope it's gone now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:09 pm 

I have seen the same issue in the GNS3v1 Beta release. The idle PC value doesn't take effect when the devices start. You will need to console into each device every time you start them in order for idle PC to work.

Please post if this also works for you, the dev team, can implement a fix for this if it does.