It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Insert SVG images in topology
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:31 pm 

GNS3 already has the ability to insert raster images in the topology, which is nice, but it's built in vector capabilities are very limited, to say the least. On the other hand, I don't think anyone is expecting GNS3 to be a vector image editor (I'm certainly not).

Rather than try to add individual missing pieces or refactor inconveniences, I think it might be better long term to instead support the inclusion of SVG graphics in the topology (GUI wise - from the same place for raster images).

That's already sort of supported in 0.8.7 via the addition of symbols in "Symbol Manager", which are (AFAIK) SVG graphics, but we're instead talking a stand alone SVG graphic that isn't a node, but has a purely decorative/explanatory purpose, like the square and circle. Once added, ideally, there should also be an extra allowed action on the graphic to resize it proportionally in both height and width.

On a related note, once the Symbol Manager is re-introduced (as I've read it's planned to make a return...), it would be nice to allow the addition of direct SVG graphics as symbols, i.e. not require additional development tools, just to "pack" the graphic.