All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: no NIO ethernet after add cloud
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
The following solution from user rellampec has worked for me:

topic428.html

copy and paste it here:

Hello.
I had the same problem as you. But, One solved:

First: I'd installed the last version (0.6.1).
Second: I've privileged access to my computer.
Third: I've WinXP SP3

Then. You must to Open --> Menu/Edit/Preferences...
There you will see: General | Dynamips | Capture | Pemu

It's main important to have correct Path configuration on Dynamips (mainly) and Pemu.
In some Windows No-English-Lenguage Operating System Intallations the ProgramFiles FolderName have another Name (in spanish: "Archivos de Programa"). Then, please check if you have the correct path to "C:\[YouComputer_ProgramFiles_FolderName]\GNS3\Dynamips\dynamips-wxp.exe" for Dynamips, and "C:\[YouComputer_ProgramFiles_Folder]\GNS3\pemuwrapper.exe" for Pemu. Is as easy as clicking the button with [...] (three points) and select the Application Name in its Folder.

Once you've configured the correct paths, you must to click on Apply Button, and is also better to click over Test Button (Dynamips TAB) before close the Preferences Window to be sure that all is correctly configured (the result must show you "dynamips successfully started").

Then you can create another Cloud, and see if there appears any NIO Ethernet option.

NOTE: I think is not needed to create a loopback interface if you real intention is connect your router/pix/switch to a phisical interface, since phisical interfaces appears also between the NIO Ethernet options, and they also work good if you choose them to make connections.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am 
your solution doesnt work at all !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:31 pm 
Hello All,

I'd like to share what it worked for me in Windows 7.
What i did was this.

-Open a CMD as Administrator.
-Go to the GNS3 Directory and Run Network device list.CMD and dynamips-wxp.exe
(It Appears to create some files on the directory)
-Right Click GNS3 and select properties, then Compatibility.
-Configure it to run on Windows 2000 Compat mode and run as Admin.
-Run GNS3(do Dynamips Test and ensure it runs successfully).
-Add a Cloud, Select config and vuala! Eth devices appear and then you can add them!

i did not need to disable UAC!

Hope this can be of use to all.

Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm 
I am using Win7 x64. I had the same issue while i try to use the USB-2-Ethernet to connect to the cloud. However, the drop-down NIO_Ethernet can only show my on-board Wireless and Ethernet NIC. After I follow "phungthaitrung" above solutions, it works. Just go to "Change user account control setting" feature of your account you are working with.

Thanks Phungthaitrung.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm 
I am using Win7 x64. I had the same issue while i try to use the USB-2-Ethernet to connect to the cloud. However, the drop-down NIO_Ethernet can only show my on-board Wireless and Ethernet NIC. After I follow "phungthaitrung" above solutions, it works. Just go to "Change user account control setting" feature of your account you are working with.

Thanks Phungthaitrung.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 pm 
Hi: Thanks phungthaitrung its, result. Greetings from Chile...
Hola: gracias phungthaitrung, esto resulta. Saludos desde Chile...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:20 pm 

Anyone got a proper solution?

I'm running 0.7.4 on a Win7 x64 SP1 and no luck so far.

- Dynamips (Cisco Router Simulation Platform (version 0.2.8-RC3-x86/Windows stable))
- Added loopback address
- Running with admin mode
- Compatible mode
- Several reboots
- Several cmd line options suggested

All above didn't help.

Any ideas?

One thing i noticed which was different from a working XP machine was the dos-window for dynamips-wxp.exe when editing settings for Cloud.

On that working XP machine it stayed for one or two seconds where it was just a few milliseconds on the NOT working Win7 machine.

:update:
Disabling UAC doesn't work either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:23 am 

stranger wrote:
Anyone got a proper solution?

I'm running 0.7.4 on a Win7 x64 SP1 and no luck so far.

- Dynamips (Cisco Router Simulation Platform (version 0.2.8-RC3-x86/Windows stable))
- Added loopback address
- Running with admin mode
- Compatible mode
- Several reboots
- Several cmd line options suggested

All above didn't help.

Any ideas?

One thing i noticed which was different from a working XP machine was the dos-window for dynamips-wxp.exe when editing settings for Cloud.

On that working XP machine it stayed for one or two seconds where it was just a few milliseconds on the NOT working Win7 machine.

:update:
Disabling UAC doesn't work either.

Look i have the same problem, then i have downloaded the GNS3 v0.8.3 standalone 64-bit, but in this version don't have wireshark, the wireshark is necessary to view the generic ethernet nio.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 am 

Yep, had the same problem and nothing that anyone was saying helped at all. I finally came across a few unrelated posts which dealt with making sure that WinPCap was installed and that the path and working directory were correct. I realized that what I had done was download the standalone version, placed it in some random folder on my desktop, and ran the executable.

I decided to download and execute the "all in one" version which actually "installed" gns3 in the proper location, as well as WinPCap, Wireshark, etc. Once I did that, the cloud recognized all of my network adapters. Been pulling my hair out for 2.5 hours now trying to figure this out. Hope this saves your hair.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 am 

Hello
I know it's an old topic but I have just faced the same problem and no answer fit for me. Maby it will work for somebody.

In my case the problem with empty field in Generic Ethernet NIO was due to Defense+ function from COMODO Internet Security. I switched it of and on again and after that it asked my about permissions from gns3. I accepted them and voila almos all NICs are present now.

Unfortunately not all NICs. I cannot see VirtualBox Host-Only Network