It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Other Qemu binaries?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:00 am 

In beta3, the "qemu-sparc" and "qemu-arm" binaries are missing, but were in GNS3 0.8.7.

Would they come back eventually? ARM in particular I think is useful for emulating tablets and the like. I don't personally care for sparc, though I'm sure others are.

ALSO

After looking a bit at Qemu's manual, I noticed it actually has a few other interesting binaries (that I hadn't even heard of before...). Some of them I'd REALLY want available. Most notably "qemu-system-mips" and "qemu-system-mipsel", because if they work as advertised, they should be able to emulate MikroTik's RouterBOARD hardware. I mean, sure, one can already emulate a MikroTik router using x86, but there are some features available only in some architectures. Not to mention bugs.

Other binaries would be nice, though I realize simply including "all" may greatly increase the installer's size beyond what would be reasonable. Maybe maintain binaries on the GNS3 site, and install them on demand during installation? Bundle just x86 and x64, as currently.

Post subject: Re: Other Qemu binaries?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:03 pm 

Hi,
in case you want to compile Qemu by yourself, this how-to looks good:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28834

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
In beta3, the "qemu-sparc" and "qemu-arm" binaries are missing, but were in GNS3 0.8.7.

Would they come back eventually? ARM in particular I think is useful for emulating tablets and the like. I don't personally care for sparc, though I'm sure others are.

I can totally include them back. Actually if you really want them now you can install all the Qemu binaries using this package: http://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/qemu-w64-setup-20140801.exe

Quote:
Other binaries would be nice, though I realize simply including "all" may greatly increase the installer's size beyond what would be reasonable. Maybe maintain binaries on the GNS3 site, and install them on demand during installation? Bundle just x86 and x64, as currently.

This is the reason I haven't included all the Qemu binaries in our beta3 all-in-one package. I will see what the total size with all of them included and take a decision from there for our next release.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thanks.

I installed Qemu from that link, and to my pleasant surprise, GNS3 was able to detect all binaries... How do you do that detection anyway :-P ?

Given this detection, I guess the ideal approach then would be to download and install the entirety of Qemu, similarly to what I'm guessing is happening with SolarWinds Response Time Viewer and Wireshark.

On a related note, it would be nice if VirtualBox is linked in the same fashion, i.e. again not included, just downloaded and started during installation (if selected, of course).

(BTW... MIPS... Doesn't exactly work as advertised. I need a firmware in order for it to even boot from PXE, and I'm so lost as to how to do that... crap... then again, I half-expected things to be harder than they appear...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:23 pm 

boen_robot wrote:
GNS3 was able to detect all binaries... How do you do that detection anyway :-P ?

After a bit a digging I found it for you (gradually getting used to the layout of the new GNS3 code!)

The -gui requests a list of qemu binaries from the server. This is done by the qemu_list function in the qemu server module (https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server/blo ... __.py#L612)

What this does is to look for qemu any binaries that start with the name qemu-system, in the system path and current working directory.

Hope that answers the question!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:41 pm 

That's what I thought at first too, but... The Qemu installer installs the files in "C:\Program Files\qemu", and this path is detected, but is not in the PATH environment variable.

Now that you pointed me to the source, I see this path is ALSO explicitly included in the folder list, regardless of the absence in the PATH environment variable, which is how Qemu is discovered in my case.

BTW, I'm not very familiar with Python, but...
Code:
os.environ["PATH"].split(":")

Window uses ";" as a folder separator.

Shouldn't ":" be replaced with os.pathsep?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Shouldn't ":" be replaced with os.pathsep?

You are totally right! :) Nice catch for someone not familiar with Python ;)

I am going to fix this soon.

Thanks!