It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Graphical representation of throughput and latency
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 am 

I'm quite new to GNS3. I'm working on effects of IPV4 and IPV6 option fields on router. With the help of GNS3 doc, I've been able to install,configure and do a few other things except for the graphical result which is proving very difficult for me now. My question is 'Can i get a graphical representation of the throughput, latency and maybe ene-to-end delay of the network i created in GNS3? If yes how?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Graphical representation of throughput and latency
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 am 

GNS3 is an emulator (more precisely, dynamips is the emulator, gns3 is the glue that allows you to simply connect multiple instances of emulated routers. Enough of that!)

Dynamips takes binary MIPS code and tries to reproduce it as best it can. However, don't ever expect that things like timers and speeds are emulated.

So - to answer your question:
Quote:
Can i get a graphical representation of the throughput, latency and maybe ene-to-end delay of the network i created in GNS3

...the answer is "No - not accurately"

To emulate end-to-end delay, latency and throughput you had best use real equipment. This is NOT what dynamips was designed for.

HTH

Footnote for any readers who don't like this answer. Dynamips is open source=free=you didn't pay for it, so if you want it to support a feature that it doesn't currently support then download the dynamips code and make it work the way you would like it to work and submit it back to the community so we can all benefit. There have been many improvements over time, perhaps someone can actually make this kind of thing work, which would be great.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:25 am 

Thanks rednectar for the responds. With regards to your quote below.

[...the answer is "No - not accurately"]

Since i can't get it accurately,is there a way i can get an idea of what the throughput, latency and end-to-end delay of the network looks like? if possible a graphical means or any other. Or what other simulator can do it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am 

Your can use solarwind engineering toolset..WAN killer is one of the tool it has for you do link test..