It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: how to use ASA in gns3 1.0 beta 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:36 pm 

I have issues with it crashing after adding a second instance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hi rlouarn.n

In gns3 0.8.7, I never had to create manually a hda image with qemu-img.exe. It was always done automatically. With the new gns3 1.0. are we supposed to create the Disk image (hda) manually with qemu-img.exe and point that file system in the setting of Disk image (hda)

Also, do you have steps or what is the command you type to create the Disk image (hda) using qemu-img.exe command.

Thanks

rlouarn wrote:
hi,

Thanks, you're welcome :)

That's what I understood from different tests, but it must be confirmed from other users who are most confirmed than I am (I've only used GNS3 for a week).
From what I've seen, at first boot, it creates on hda the hda1 disk, and attaches it to the disk0:/. I've created a disk of 256 and then 300M to confirm that guess (doing a dir disk0:/ confirmed the righ sizes I created).
From what I've seen on many pages describing the configuration of an ASA, they are using a flash created file with qemu-img and assign it to the qemu hda option. That's why I've configured it that way.

However, I'm perhaps completely wrong, and the asa should be configured differently :) I let other users giving us the way they made their ASA working well, and if possible with the ability to save their configuration.

I haven't yet created a case because I'm looking for a solution with every possible solution on the internet. But if I can't make it work, I will :) (if I succeed I'll write a post on the HOW TO section).

B.R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 am 

Hi,

I've just done again the test with or without the hda attached to the ASA :)

Without, it seems like a flash file of 256M is created somewhere (I couldn't figure out where), it saves the files and even the startup-config, but it has a flag error which makes it impossible to be called. Here is the error message I have before the prompt, I've tested a lot of solutions found on the net for GNS 3 0.8.X but failed to succeed:

Code:
ERROR: Flash datafile is corrupt.
  Found magic number 0x0, but expected to find 0x1234567a.
Ignoring the rest of the file
Reading from flash...

With a FLASH file attached in hda, it saves the files, but can't be called on startup. In that case before the prompt I have this message:

Code:
config_fetcher: channel open failed
ERROR: MIGRATION - Could not get the startup configuration.
COREDUMP UPDATE: open message queue fail: No such file or directory/2

I'm a newbie, so not sure that I do things the right way and understand properly who it works.
I've created a FLASH file and attached it in the hda because in the boot section the ASA calls a hda disk to create the hda 1 partition, which is used by the disk0 to store the files. However, I agree with you, in the 0.8.7 it can work fine without (even if I found many tutorials using a FLASH file too). I've no clue what is the difference, I'll look more on how is it possible to fix this issue.

For information, when you attach a FLASH file to the hda disk in the QEMU VMs configuration, and then manually modify the configuration of the ASA in its configuration you have the following error :

Code:
=> Server error [-3200] from 192.168.56.1:8000: ASA8421: request validation error: '' is too short

Failed validating 'minLength' in schema['properties']['hda_disk_image']:
    {'description': 'QEMU hda disk image path',
     'minLength': 1,
     'type': 'string'}

On instance['hda_disk_image']:

That is why I've done the assumption it needs a file configured to the hda. But that's only my guess :)

To create the FLASH file I used this command :
Code:
qemu-img.exe create C:/FLASH 256M

The file is then under C:/, you could enter the correct PATH for you, this is only a simple example.

To tfontane,
I've done a test with two ASA. I managed to make it work in two ways.
1) I added two ASA directly to the topology, but didn't use the -vnc :2 none command.
With the command I had a Network connection refused error message for the second ASA, without it worked fine.
Be careful not to point to the same FLASH file however, it needs different files that you have to change manually before starting the ASA.
I found this solution better if you don't attach hda FLASH files.

2) I created two ASA configuration under the QEMU VMs panel, and used one of each on the topology.
I found this solution better if you're using FLAH files attached to hda because you don't have to modify manually the ASA configuration each time.

I hope this can help you, I'm sure that guys more competent than me will be able to give us their views and probably will correct me :)

B.R.

Sorry for my poor English level

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:52 pm 

Great work rlouarn,

thanks for showing how to create the flash file, but never really needed to do with earlier versions.

The last thing to do is, have the devs follow this thread and create another post in the developers section and point them to this topic discussion, maybe then we can get an answer to the corruption files and the issue with the saving the config files in the flash.

thanks again

rlouarn wrote:
Hi,

I've just done again the test with or without the hda attached to the ASA :)

Without, it seems like a flash file of 256M is created somewhere (I couldn't figure out where), it saves the files and even the startup-config, but it has a flag error which makes it impossible to be called. Here is the error message I have before the prompt, I've tested a lot of solutions found on the net for GNS 3 0.8.X but failed to succeed:

Code:
ERROR: Flash datafile is corrupt.
  Found magic number 0x0, but expected to find 0x1234567a.
Ignoring the rest of the file
Reading from flash...

With a FLASH file attached in hda, it saves the files, but can't be called on startup. In that case before the prompt I have this message:

Code:
config_fetcher: channel open failed
ERROR: MIGRATION - Could not get the startup configuration.
COREDUMP UPDATE: open message queue fail: No such file or directory/2

I'm a newbie, so not sure that I do things the right way and understand properly who it works.
I've created a FLASH file and attached it in the hda because in the boot section the ASA calls a hda disk to create the hda 1 partition, which is used by the disk0 to store the files. However, I agree with you, in the 0.8.7 it can work fine without (even if I found many tutorials using a FLASH file too). I've no clue what is the difference, I'll look more on how is it possible to fix this issue.

For information, when you attach a FLASH file to the hda disk in the QEMU VMs configuration, and then manually modify the configuration of the ASA in its configuration you have the following error :

Code:
=> Server error [-3200] from 192.168.56.1:8000: ASA8421: request validation error: '' is too short

Failed validating 'minLength' in schema['properties']['hda_disk_image']:
    {'description': 'QEMU hda disk image path',
     'minLength': 1,
     'type': 'string'}

On instance['hda_disk_image']:

That is why I've done the assumption it needs a file configured to the hda. But that's only my guess :)

To create the FLASH file I used this command :
Code:
qemu-img.exe create C:/FLASH 256M

The file is then under C:/, you could enter the correct PATH for you, this is only a simple example.

To tfontane,
I've done a test with two ASA. I managed to make it work in two ways.
1) I added two ASA directly to the topology, but didn't use the -vnc :2 none command.
With the command I had a Network connection refused error message for the second ASA, without it worked fine.
Be careful not to point to the same FLASH file however, it needs different files that you have to change manually before starting the ASA.
I found this solution better if you don't attach hda FLASH files.

2) I created two ASA configuration under the QEMU VMs panel, and used one of each on the topology.
I found this solution better if you're using FLAH files attached to hda because you don't have to modify manually the ASA configuration each time.

I hope this can help you, I'm sure that guys more competent than me will be able to give us their views and probably will correct me :)

B.R.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
thanks for showing how to create the flash file, but never really needed to do with earlier versions.

This shouldn't be needed in the new version too. If you do not add any disk image (hda) then a default 256 MB flash file is created.

Can someone provide me with a mini howto that I can use to make sure ASA work as expected from the command line perspective?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 am 

grossmj wrote:
Hi,

Quote:

This shouldn't be needed in the new version too. If you do not add any disk image (hda) then a default 256 MB flash file is created.

Can someone provide me with a mini howto that I can use to make sure ASA work as expected from the command line perspective?

Thanks,

Thank you admin.the ASA was works well without disk image.
But cannot save the all config files for it .
Please fix it .thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

I was able to start an ASA, change its hostname, save the config and reboot. No issues detected.

What do you see using the following command?

Code:
ASA# show file system

File Systems:

Size(b)     Free(b)      Type      Flags  Prefixes
* 268136448     267771904     disk      rw      disk0: flash:
             -             -  network   rw      tftp:
             -             -  opaque    rw      system:
             -             -  network   ro      http:
             -             -  network   ro      https:
             -             -  network   rw      ftp:
             -             -  network   rw      smb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:00 am 

grossmj wrote:
Hi,

I was able to start an ASA, change its hostname, save the config and reboot. No issues detected.

What do you see using the following command?

Code:
ASA# show file system

File Systems:

Size(b)     Free(b)      Type      Flags  Prefixes
* 268136448     267771904     disk      rw      disk0: flash:
             -             -  network   rw      tftp:
             -             -  opaque    rw      system:
             -             -  network   ro      http:
             -             -  network   ro      https:
             -             -  network   rw      ftp:
             -             -  network   rw      smb:

Hi admin, so sorry..i test again, that's good works.
maybe i didn't save it .
thany you so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:57 am 

Just one other thing i'd like to add to this discussion, when i upgraded the ASA i had to change the running config in some way for the upgraded activation key to stick, hostname works fine, but if i didnt change anything other than the activation key....the upgrade would not stick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:01 am 

jeepacation wrote:
Just one other thing i'd like to add to this discussion, when i upgraded the ASA i had to change the running config in some way for the upgraded activation key to stick, hostname works fine, but if i didnt change anything other than the activation key....the upgrade would not stick!

what means ?
can you put the screen for that up please ?