It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cant Configure TFTP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am 
Hi Guyz,

I am sorry to post this topic but unfortunately i have spend over 2 days searching for a solution but couldnt find an answer.I am using ubuntu 9.10.I installed GNS3 perfectly and everything is working.Now i want to setup a tftp server.So i followed the instrucitons on
http://www.davidsudjiman.info/2006/03/2 ... in-ubuntu/
I cant understand the 2nd step.Do i have to create a directory by the name of tftp inside /etc/xinet.d and then place a file tftp inside it with all this script on step 2 or just a file in the /etc/xinet.d by the name of tftp with this script.What i did was i created a file tftp inside /etc/xinet.d and then when i started the xinet.d by the command
$ sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd start
It says FAIL
but when i restart it using
$ sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
its says OK
So does that mean i have configured the TFTP server?????
2nd problem is how the hell am i supposed to connect this tftp server to my router in GNS3.
if i type
copy running-config tftp
then it asks for the TFTP address.I have connected my machine to tftp using a tap interface and i can ping the router from my terminal and vice versa.So if i enter the ip address of my tap interface then it says
TFTP: error code 2 recieved - 16739
%Error opening tftp://192.168.10.1/router-config (Permission denied)
But i started the xinet.d as a root.I am not sure what is the name or IP that i am supposed to use in the name of the TFTP server..Also please tell me what am i doing wrong.is this an incorrect procedure.
Also what is the difference b/w using a loopback and a tap interface.I wanted to do NAT/PAT thats why i thought that its better to use tap instead of loopback.PLZ help me out

Post subject: Re: Cant Configure TFTP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:39 pm 

is the director writable ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:53 pm 
I am sorry i dont know what that means.can u explain what to do?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 am 

tftp server is win or linux based ?

try first with windows:

1. install tftp windows server
2. test it without gns
3. use it with gns

if debian/ubuntu based:

use atftp
start like this:
/usr/sbin/atftpd --daemon --tftpd-timeout 300 --retry-timeout 5 --mcast-port 1758 --mcast-addr 239.239.239.0-255 --mcast-ttl 1 --maxthread 100 --verbose=5 /home/tftpboot
chmod 777 /home/tftpboot (only if U don;t know what this is)
check firewall
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/16 -p udp --dport 69 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT (this only if U have firewall)

PS: if U would like to use linux, first learn how to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm 
Hi.Thanks for your reply but unfortunately i dont think u understood what i was asking.It's gud that u r trying to help but my main question is what is the ip address of the tftp server which i have installed?is it the same as my machine eth0 ip address or the tap0 interface ip address which i have connected to my router in gns3.Also i stated that when i tried to restart the xinet.d it says OK.I think that means that my tftp server is working(I dont know whether im right or wrong).I already installed the tftpd and tftp packages and now dont want to experiment with atftp.I also tried tftpgui.The problem is it does not start on port 69 and when i change the port number it starts beautifully.But the problem remains.WHAT IS THE IP ADDRESS OF THIS TFTP SERVER ?I tried typing both the tap0 interface and eth0 interface ip address but none works.The ping is sucessful b/w the router and the tap0 interface.Also when i tried changing the ip address of loopback interface i was unable to even drag the router to the main window.I know im new to linux but i guess i am atleast trying and if guys like u help guys like us then we will also gain some knowledge.