It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: bridge VM to GNS3 cloud
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:49 am 
I've been through a ton of tutorials on the web and posts on this forum and I still can't seem to do what I need to do. I am trying to study for CCNA Security and this requires the use of SDM. Ideally, I would like to run GNS3 on my mac os x host and connect SDM from a windows VM, since SDM won't run on mac.

I have successfully created a tap interface and start GNS3 as root on OS X, set an ip using ifconfig etc. My virtualbox VMs have no issues connecting to the host or www, of course. Trying to create a bridged or host only interface that connects to tap0 crashes virtualbox. I have tried to add the interface through the command line virtualbox management option but that failed miserably.

At this point, I can connect my windows VM to the host and I can connect my GNS3 cloud to the host....I just can't seem to get traffic to flow between the virtual router and virtual machine.

I need to do one of two things-

1) connect my GNS3 cloud to the same ethernet interface my VMs connect to (VB adds it as a bridged interface)

-or-

2) configure routing between tap0 and en2

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.3. Host resources aren't too much of an issue as I am running a 2.4GHz i5 processor with 8GB DDR3 ram.

There is a workaround but it's less than ideal. I created a second VM and am running the windows (xp) version of GNS 3 but even giving that VM access to 2 cores and 3.5 gigs of ram dynamips still causes the thing to run like molasses in january. I've tried processlasso and that helps a bit but the VM is still so slow I can't run more than 2 routers at a time and typing in to console is literally like- type some characters, wait 20s for them to slowly appear on the screen, type some more characters, wait, repeat..... I have no issues with GNS3 on the host OS and would *much* rather run it from there.