It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 v1.0 Alpha 8 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit LTS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:56 am 

I managed to install GNS3 v1.0 Alpha 8 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit LTS without any issue after reading several postings & various forums .

So, i have put together all the bits and pieces of information from different authors and contributors about the installation. Please feel free to add to it :

//====================================================

Since we are creating a practice GNS3-IOU CCNA/CCNP/CCIE LAB therefore PC security is not our great concern here, standard PC security should be ok

INSTALLING & RUNNING GNS3-1.0-ALPHA8-IOU ON UBUNTU 14.04 LTS 64-Bit LINUX

//==============================================================================================//
STEP A:
//==============================================================================================//

Obviously, grab your UBUNTU 14.04 LTS Distro and install it on your PC or Laptop or Virtual box or VMware or whichever computer you are using.

Very Important! Be sure to name your computer

gns3-iouvm

exactly or you will have issues with IOU permissions later on

STEP 1:
//===============================================================================================//
To login as root instead of the pain of using sudo everytime , this is the solution that works:

1. load the Terminal
2. type: sudo passwd root
3. input your user's password when prompted
4. create UNIX password when prompted

In Ubuntu 14.04 the file lightdm.conf is no longer located in /etc/lightdm. It's in /etc/init and has been totally modified
The file to edit is now located in /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d, and is called: 50-ubuntu.conf and 50-unity-greeter.conf

4a. Step 1. Execute the following commands in terminal.

1. sudo gedit /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-ubuntu.conf

2. sudo gedit /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-unity-greeter.conf

4a. Step 2: Add the following statement in each of them.

greeter-show-manual-login=true

4a. Step 3: Save and close gedit.

Now, restart your Ubuntu machine. You will see a ‘Login’ as one of the option in login prompt

5. At the login screen there is now an option to login manually. login with username 'root' and the password you created at step 4

STEP 2:
#GNS-ALPHA IOU Downloads. Make sure you have your GNS3 membership , it is worth it believe it

wget https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-gui/archiv ... alpha8.zip
wget https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server/arc ... alpha8.zip
wget https://github.com/GNS3/dynamips/archive/master.zip

STEP 3:
#packages to install:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libelf-dev uuid-dev libpcap-dev python3-dev python3-pyqt4 python3-setuptools python3-ws4py python3-pip python3-zmq python3-tornado python-netifaces cmake

STEP 4:

# Dynamips install:

#### Compiling

Either download and extract a source tarball from the releases page or clone the
Git repository using:

if you are building and making dynamips :

OPTION A -- it will be installed in /usr/local/bin/dynamips

wget https://github.com/GNS3/dynamips/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd dynamips-master/stable/
cmake ..
sudo make install

OR

git clone git://github.com/GNS3/dynamips.git
cd dynamips
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
sudo make install

OPTION B

if you have already compiled the dynamips or have an already built dynamips: then

downlaod and unzip file
cd [dynamips folder name]
make
sudo make install

# To test dynamips:

dynamips -H 7200

STEP 5

# - Install the following packages

sudo pip3 install pyzmq
sudo pip3 install tornado
sudo pip3 install netifaces or sudo pip3 install netifaces-py3

STEP 6

# - Install gns3 server

cd [gns3 SERVER folder name]
sudo python3 setup.py install

STEP 7:

# - Install gns3 gui

cd [gns3 GUI folder name]
sudo python3 setup.py install

STEP 8:

# - Fix the missing libraries for IOU

sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0
sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0
sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0:i386
sudo apt-get install libtinfo5:i386
sudo ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.4

STEP 9:

# – Install iouyap , Change HostId & get the IOURC file

(this contains only iouyap)
Download iouyap.tar.gz from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/f ... z/download
tar zxvf iouyap.tar.gz
cp iouyap /usr/local/bin/iouyap

This contains all 3 files ( iouyap, HostId script & iourc license file )
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/553 ... dFiles.zip
unzip NeededFiles.zip
cp iouyap /usr/local/bin/iouyap

# - Run to change HostID to generate your license file

./sethostid.sh 00000000

STEP 10:

1.- Launch Gns3 Server then GNS3 GUI

cd gns3-server-master
gns3server

#Leave terminal open

#Open New Terminal window to launch GNS3 GUI

cd gns3-gui-master
gns3

2 - Specify your IOURC License file

You will need a License for IOU. It is a text file named “iourc” or “IOURC”.
Start a xterm or a console
Run GNS3 by typing “sudo gns3″ and <ENTER> in the console
window you just opened. You will need to give your Membership
Number and email address.
Go to: Edit->Preferences->IOU on UNIX->General settings
In “Path to IOURC:”, specify the path of your IOURC file.
Click “Apply” button
Click “OK” button

STEP 11:
# – Specify the location of iouyap

Go to: Edit->Preferences->IOU on UNIX->General settings
In “Path to iouyap (local Linux server only):”, specify the path of your
iouyap file. In my case, it is “/usr/local/bin/iouyap”. Modify step 4
if you want another location.
Click “Apply” button
Click “OK” button

STEP 12:

# – Specify your IOU images (e.g. i86bi-linux-l3-ipbase-12.4.bin)

Go to: Edit->Preferences->IOU devices->IOU images
In “IOU path:”, specify the IOU image
Click “Save” button
Click “Apply” button
Click “OK” button

# – You are ready
Now play with GNS3 v1.0 ALPHA8-IOU. Your IOU devices are ready to be used.

STEP 13:
# Installing VPCS 0.51a which works with GNS3 V1.0 Alpha8 , Please refer to the following post

topic6784.html

STEP 14:

#run

# - as normal user
sudo gns3

or
# - as root
gns3

I hope it helps ease the installation pain a little. I am able to Run 40 Routers and 5 switches with IOS 15.2 without my Laptop crapping out or crashing ( intel Quad core 2.80GHz CPU, with 8 Gig Ram & 320 Gb ) -- it is only using about 18% CPU and 36% Memory when all the routers & switches and consoles are all opened and firing on all cylinders . I will probably bump up the RAM to 16 GB and then i am set to take another crack at the CCIE Labs ( The Godzilla of exam Labs) without spending a fortune

This is Great , Thank you GNS3 folks and all the forum contributors. You guys rock -- have been using GNS3 since 2006.

Last edited by developer on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GNS3 v1.0 Alpha 8 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit LTS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
Everything is working except I can not get VPCS to work in GNS3 when i try to start it while connected to A Router or Switch . Any help on this

Yep, the minimum VPCS version supported by the new GNS3 is 0.5b1.

0.21a will not work.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 am 

nice tutorial
but to install sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0:i386 and sudo apt-get install libtinfo5:i386 must first install sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 and sudo apt-get update then those
thx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:35 pm 

taurus8 wrote:
nice tutorial
but to install sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0:i386 and sudo apt-get install libtinfo5:i386 must first install sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 and sudo apt-get update then those
thx

Thanks , i was using a 64-bit system and i did not install sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 and sudo apt-get update. it is required i will add it to the tutorial. Are sure it is required in a 64-bit architecture on UBUNTU 14.04 LTS ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 am 

I tried to follow step-by-step (the installation process) as I am not that familiar with Linux, however I still encounter issues along the course of the installation - particularly step 9. In here, I am getting an error (see below).

[email protected]:~$ cp iouyap /usr/local/bin/iouyap
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/usr/local/bin/iouyap’: Permission denied

Please help.

Regards,

Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 am 

Jonathan Raon wrote:
I tried to follow step-by-step (the installation process) as I am not that familiar with Linux, however I still encounter issues along the course of the installation - particularly step 9. In here, I am getting an error (see below).

[email protected]:~$ cp iouyap /usr/local/bin/iouyap
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/usr/local/bin/iouyap’: Permission denied

Please help.

Regards,

Jonathan

Use sudo cp iouyap /usr/local/bin/iouyap or switch to root before trying to copy iouyap to /usr/local/bin/