It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: IOU Device support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm 

Hi,

Just GNS3-ER-Beta1. But can't connect to IOU device. It gives this error:

'Could not connect to server 192.168.56.101:8000: GUI version 1.0beta1 differs with the server version'

(I've attached the error picture)

GNS3 IOU VM is running in the back on VirtualBox, which I used for Alpha 8 release.

Is there a way I can use IOU device without depending on VirtualBox running in back or pls let me know how can I use IOU device on this new GNS3 -ER-Beta1.

Attachments:
2014-07-22 13_12_28-Unsaved project — GNS3.jpg
2014-07-22 13_12_28-Unsaved project — GNS3.jpg [ 11.97 KiB | Viewed 12036 times ]

Post subject: Re: IOU Device support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:44 pm 

All you need to do is login to the virtual machine (should be 'root' and 'cisco') and update the gns3-server package.
If you would like to make it easier, you can just setup a script and run that everytime you want to update it, else you could probably run it as a cron. You will need internet access for the VM though, so be sure to change the adapter to bridged or nat for the update.

Here's the script I use for it:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
GNS3_DIR="$HOME/GNS3/src"
if [[ ! -d "$GNS3_DIR" ]]; then
    echo "Please wait, setting up GNS3 server"
    mkdir -p "$GNS3_DIR"
    git clone -q --branch=master git://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server.git $GNS3_DIR/gns3-server
    cd $GNS3_DIR/gns3-server
    python3 setup.py -q install > /dev/null 2<&1
    echo "GNS3 server installed successfully"
elif [[ -d "$GNS3_DIR" ]] && [[ -n "$(ls -A $GNS3_DIR/gns3-server/.git)" ]]; then
    echo "Please wait, updating GNS3 server"
    pip uninstall gns3-server -y -q
    cd $GNS3_DIR/gns3-server
    git pull origin master
    python3 setup.py -q install > /dev/null 2<&1
    echo "GNS3 server updated successfully"
fi

If you need step-by-step instructions, here you go:
1. Make sure the VM is shutdown
2. Open up the VM settings and goto network
3. Set the network attachment to "NAT" or "bridged adapter", whichever works best to provide internet to the VM
4. Start the VM
5. Login with username "root" and password "cisco" (without quotes for both of those)
6. Update your package sources.
Code:
apt-get update

7. Make sure you have git and wget installed.
Code:
apt-get -y install git wget

8. Make sure you're in the home directory (as that's where we'll download the script) by entering the command:
Code:
cd ~/

9. Download the script (I put a copy on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/ZJFYdf91)
Code:
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nCHtiYJa -O- | tr -d '\r' > update-server.sh

10. Make sure the script has execute permissions
Code:
chmod u+x update-server.sh

11. Run the script (while still connected to the internet) via
Code:
./update-server.sh

12. Now shut the server down again
Code:
shutdown -h now

13. Change the adapter back to host-only, and start it back up. You should now be running the latest and greatest gns3-server release!

After you've done the above at least once on the same VM, regularly updating is as simple as booting with the internet connected (again, NAT or bridged), logging in, and then running
Code:
bash ~/update-server.sh

I'm sure you could even setup two network connections (one for the internet, the other host-only) to avoid the hassle of changing the adapter during each update, but I haven't messed around with that (yet). I would think you could even just have the script run via cron if you set it up that way, but that's assuming you're also leaving the VM running regularly.

Edit: Added photos and another step.

Last edited by Veglatodoth on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 am 

Hi Veglatodoth,

Really thank you for replying to my post with very useful info. I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 8 all along.

I installed the BETA1 in Windows 8. So, based upon your post, should I need to get my GNS3 VM server updated? If that's the case, where can I get it? Usually, until Alpha 8 release, the GNS3 VM gets downloaded automatically as a separate file and I just import it on the Oracle VBox with of course 'Host-only' adapter setting.

So, for Windows users like me, should I need to update the GSN3 VM server as well to match this new BETA1 release? If so, from where can I get it?

Just a small note - I followed your instruction (i.e. changing to adapter to NAT and started the GNS3 VM server) and tried to put this command - 'apt-get install git wget' - it said command not found.
May be because I am running it under Windows 8?

Thanks,
smithjsp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:21 am 

The instructions above are for the GNS3 IOU VM. All of the commands are typed into the vm's command line.
Yes, the problem is the GNS3 VM server, the version of the server needs to match the gns3-gui version, else you get the error message you got. I don't know where you can download an updated VM, but the instructions I gave will update the VM so you don't have to download a new one each time.

The VM should be running a linux distro, debian, I think. Just to be sure, after logging into the VM, type
Code:
uname -a
and then post back here what the output is. Your VM might be on a different distro with a different package manager.

It wouldn't be because you're using it on Windows 8. Remember a virtual machine is just that, a virtual machine, so whatever you execute in the "box" is pretty much separate from your host OS (in your case W8).

Don't worry, we'll figure it out. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 pm 

I am also having difficulties with this. I have a mac and I have everything working but the IOU. I also get the same guy error. Following the instructions above, I see where the script has to be entered (following the line by line instructions). But when I enter the "wget ...." line to point to the web site to pull the script, it fails. It says that it doesn't recognize the wget command.

Any advise?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 pm 

sandognr1 wrote:
I am also having difficulties with this. I have a mac and I have everything working but the IOU. I also get the same guy error. Following the instructions above, I see where the script has to be entered (following the line by line instructions). But when I enter the "wget ...." line to point to the web site to pull the script, it fails. It says that it doesn't recognize the wget command.

Any advise?

Thanks

What do you get when you run the following command?
Code:
apt-get install wget

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:43 am 

I followed the steps and no error encountered. But still has the same problem. Also when i ran the script

./update-server.sh .. There isnt anything happenning no error or something. Then when i change back to host only and tried. I got the same error in gns3.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:30 am 

The only output that is given will be when it is done. Depending on your internet connection, it could take a short while before it is done. Were you able to shut it down with the command I gave, or did you force it to shut down?

I have added two lines of code that show that the script is running (just echos), and I will add pictures for the step-by-step soon.

Edit: I have added pictures to help clarify the steps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:40 am 

Hi Guys, this other post might be useful. I had this similar issue and executed the following command while the VM is connected to the internet:

pip3 install gns3-server==1.0beta1

topic11134.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:58 pm 

I ran through this process and it worked great. Now I see I am running v1.0beta3.dev1, but when I launch GNS3 and try to add an IOU device I still get the error. The GNS3 version shows GNS3 1.0 beta 2. I downloaded this version from the GNS3 members area. I too am running Windows 8.1. Any ideas?

Tricia.