It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: GNS3 v1.0 BETA forgot all it's developers !!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm 

Thanks for clarifying this for us Alexey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm 

I contributed and my name does not appear to be listed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:30 am 

Pyzon wrote:

For confidentially of those who contributed and didn't want their name in the software - we have made it so that you have to sign up through the members portal to get your name in the software. http://members.gns3.net/name-in-source-code/

If you have entered your name - then we are doing a final update at the end of Beta for all the remaining names.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:05 am 
Site Admin

@Pyzon
Quote:

Sorry about this, unfortunately the list hasn't been updated with the last names we received. It will for sure in the next beta.

@adecisco
Quote:
Even all the early bird member are no more there. Does that mean we are no more relevant? What a better way to reward or slight the group that make gns3 what they are today.

No you are very relevant and we are sorry if you name doesn't appear yet in the list.

@Technologov

I am sorry you feel that way but I don't think we have been disrespectful here. It is true we forgot to give credits in the about dialog but we were simply focused on building features. I apologize for this. However, this version of GNS3 is a complete rewrite and the number of people who have contributed to this version is limited.

Quote:
That's completely untrue.
He still uses dynagen/dynamips/vboxwrapper/... written by other people.
There is no 95% code written by Jeremy.

Actually around 95% code of GNS3 itself is written by me. The software you mentioned are external tools/dependencies. To be more specific:

- Dynagen is not used at all in the new GNS3.
- Dynamips is a completely separate project, even if I agree we could never thanks Chris and the people who contribute to this project enough.
- Vboxwrapper is also an external dependency that I did not plan to use but did anyway because of the vboxapi/xpcom module not working with Python3.

The only pieces of code I have taken are from vboxwrapper (and are actually yours) and I have modified them a bit, you can have a look by yourself: https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server/blo ... vm.py#L704

Quote:
I recommend adding new tab to Help->About

Help->About->Developers (tab)
should list developers (including of critical components, that were done for GNS3 specifically: Dynamips/Dynagen/confDynagen/pemuwrapper/qemuwrapper/vboxwrapper ... + VPCS, as it was done for GNS3 specifically).

Not required to list generic Open-source component developers: pyQt/Qt/VirtualBox/python/putty/wireshark... as those projects were not developed for GNS3 specifically. Although those projects could be mentioned by project name...

This should also mention translations.

Quote:
Original developers of GNS3-specific software (Dynagen) should be written in our help->about... as for new contributors... we can add once in a while to our list. (there aren't many)

We will take these suggestions into consideration for the next release.

One last thing: relax! This is only beta ;)

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 am 

The idea is that people who write portions of the code, should also include their name with a GIT push into the project. If they do not do that, this means they are not interested to see their name there.

For open-source projects which are incorporated into GNS3, which most probably are under GPL licenses, please just post a link to the project. And redistribute your software based on a compatible license. For example when you incorporate a MIT license, there is no reason to do anything.

We should look into this only from a Legal Perspective, otherwise there will be resources spent on tasks which are not important at all, like maintaining lists of names. And this will translate only to a lower quality of the final product.

As an example, please look at Wireshark, an amazing product: do they keep a list of names?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am 

People written themselves in v0.8.x code, but suddenly got removed by v1.0.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm 

Yes... to reiterate what Jeremy said...

grossmj wrote:
However, this version of GNS3 is a complete rewrite and the number of people who have contributed to this version is limited.

GNS3 0.8.x (https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-legacy) is a COMPLETELY different codebase than that of GNS3 v1 (https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-gui, https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server)

So those developers who contributed to GNS3 0.8.x the work isn't lost (see the legacy repo). As people contribute code to the new version, I am sure that Jeremy will not hesitate to give them credit where it is due.

As for things like Dynamips, VPCS etc... I don't feel there is a need to include all the developers of those in GNS3. They are seperate programs (and whilst they work hand in hand... they could/can/are used seperately). Recognition of work/contribution is a matter for each individual program.