It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: etherswitch router
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

Good evening.
I have a problem when I use the device etherswitch router.
Look at the following topology -

As you can see , i can not ping from the computer to r1 .
is anyone know why ?

b.t.w - in the red message in wireshark , there's a bad checksum . Is it related?

thank you all .

Post subject: Re: etherswitch router
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:03 pm 

1. Change your Etherswitch router to simple ethernet switch (builtin into gns3). Can you ping between R1 and PC? if answer is no - check configuration of R1 and PC. Else:
2. Did you use correct interfaces on ESW1? Remember that Fast0/0 and Fast0/1 are ROUTED interfaces, and you CAN NOT use them for connecting devices. If you used it - change it (use Fast1/0 to Fast1/15 on ESW1). ELSE:
3. did you configure ESW1 properly? both interfaces on ESW1 (towards R1 and towards PC) are in state up/up? And both interfaces are configured as access ports? And belong to the same vlan? Can you provide result of "show vlan-switch"? Could you create an SVI for that vlan and check "show interfaces status"? Is your SVI up? Can you ping R1 and PC from ESW1?

If all of above will fail - please post your topology.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 pm 

abort wrote:
1. Change your Etherswitch router to simple ethernet switch (builtin into gns3). Can you ping between R1 and PC? if answer is no - check configuration of R1 and PC. Else:
2. Did you use correct interfaces on ESW1? Remember that Fast0/0 and Fast0/1 are ROUTED interfaces, and you CAN NOT use them for connecting devices. If you used it - change it (use Fast1/0 to Fast1/15 on ESW1). ELSE:
3. did you configure ESW1 properly? both interfaces on ESW1 (towards R1 and towards PC) are in state up/up? And both interfaces are configured as access ports? And belong to the same vlan? Can you provide result of "show vlan-switch"? Could you create an SVI for that vlan and check "show interfaces status"? Is your SVI up? Can you ping R1 and PC from ESW1?

If all of above will fail - please post your topology.

Of course i can ping if i change the switch to simple one .
i want to know what is the problem with etherswitch , maybe because he is 3 layer device ?
and yes , they both access mode .
and yes , they both in vlan 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 pm 

Topology, please.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

abort wrote:
Topology, please.

What thats mean " topology?"
For me is just the network .. explain please

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 pm 

You have created a project (I hope so)
Project with router, etherswitch router and PC.
You can (and you should) save that (and any other) project for future use (expanding, rebuilding and so on).
When creating project you are prompted for project name, optionally you can specify different directory.
Inside that directory you'll find many files and other directories. That is, at least startup config for ESW1 and R1. And also ALL connection between ALL devices (as well as IOS filename/version you use) - in "topology.net" file.
Create ZIP file of that directory and attach to your post - it will help me to help you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 pm 

abort wrote:
You have created a project (I hope so)
Project with router, etherswitch router and PC.
You can (and you should) save that (and any other) project for future use (expanding, rebuilding and so on).
When creating project you are prompted for project name, optionally you can specify different directory.
Inside that directory you'll find many files and other directories. That is, at least startup config for ESW1 and R1. And also ALL connection between ALL devices (as well as IOS filename/version you use) - in "topology.net" file.
Create ZIP file of that directory and attach to your post - it will help me to help you.

Oh , so that is topology .

Please re-quote me and when I'm on the computer (from the mobile at the moment) i will upload the file .
Thank you very much for the help by the way !!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 pm 

OK, no prob, but in Eastern Europe it's almost midnight so you'll have to wait.
Or maybe someone else from other timezone will help you.
Anyway, I'll take a look here tomorrow ("my" tomorrow) :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am 

abort wrote:
OK, no prob, but in Eastern Europe it's almost midnight so you'll have to wait.
Or maybe someone else from other timezone will help you.
Anyway, I'll take a look here tomorrow ("my" tomorrow) :)

Last edited by aaaaa1 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 pm 

Unfortunately, I can not run your topology - you're using new gns1.0 Early Release; and I still use old gns 0.8.6. But I think I found problem with your topology:
In my first answer (dated 2014-09-18 23:03:00) I wrote: "2. Did you use correct interfaces on ESW1? Remember that Fast0/0 and Fast0/1 are ROUTED interfaces, and you CAN NOT use them for connecting devices. If you used it - change it (use Fast1/0 to Fast1/15 on ESW1)."

In "untitled.gns3" file (which holds all topology description) there is a section:
Code:
            {
                "description": "Link from ESW1 port FastEthernet0/0 to R1 port FastEthernet0/0",
                "destination_node_id": 1,
                "destination_port_id": 1,
                "id": 5,
                "source_node_id": 4,
                "source_port_id": 12
            }

Which means that you did not read my answer carefully and you're still using F0/0 on ESW1 (it is used to connect R1 f0/0). IT WILL NOT WORK. Change that interface to anything on F1/x (where 0<x<15).
After that, it should work.