It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VirtualboxVMs-How does one configure vboxwrapper?(2)[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm 

I followed the instructions on the this post http://forum.gns3.net/topic11080.html with a few minor changes noted below.

I am running Debian Wheezy, amd64, so I have had to create a python venv to run gns3.
I started the python venv, and from in that environment I did the below steps

1) clone vboxwrapper
git clone https://github.com/GNS3/vboxwrapper
cd vboxwrapper
2) installed the mondule
sudo python setup.py install

step 3 was not done, I was not using python2.7 and therefore do not know where these three files should be copied to

3) copy 3 files
sudo cp vboxwrapper.py tcp_pipe_proxy.py vboxcontroller_4_3.py /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/

Below are the directories where the vboxwrapper.py is located, there was no vbox(anything) in /usr/local/bin, there was a vboxwrapper.py in /usr/share/gns3/ (shown below).

[email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper/vboxwrapper# ls -l
total 88
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 25 16:54 adapters
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 25 16:54 __init__.py
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 25 16:54 nios
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18114 Sep 25 16:54 tcp_pipe_proxy.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28684 Sep 25 16:54 vboxwrapper.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22398 Sep 25 16:54 virtualbox_controller.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1167 Sep 25 16:54 virtualbox_error.py
[email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper/vboxwrapper#

[email protected]:/usr/share/virtualbox# cd /usr/share/gns3/
[email protected]:/usr/share/gns3# ls -l
total 292
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2736 Jul 1 02:21 gns3
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Sep 17 11:30 GNS3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1045 Jul 1 02:21 GNS3-0.8.6.egg-info
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53586 Oct 22 2013 qemuwrapper.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48923 Sep 17 11:30 qemuwrapper.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17404 Oct 22 2013 tcp_pipe_proxy.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13935 Sep 17 11:30 tcp_pipe_proxy.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37283 Oct 22 2013 vboxcontroller_4_1.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21914 Sep 17 11:30 vboxcontroller_4_1.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40871 Oct 22 2013 vboxwrapper.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35906 Sep 17 11:30 vboxwrapper.pyc
[email protected]:/usr/share/gns3#

In the virtualbox prefs tab in gns3 beta3 when I enter /home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper/vboxwrapper.py I get this error
Could not get the VM list: Couldn't connect to vboxwrapper on 127.0.0.1:11525 :[Errno 111] Connection refused

In the virtualbox press tab in gns3 beta3 when I enter /usr/share/gns3/vboxwrapper.py My running gns3 beta3 freezes, nothing happens, there is no response from anything, and I can't cancel the action, in the terminal window where the python venv is running the below output is what I get. At this point I have to force shutdown my terminal window and start the process all over again.

(python:8704): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.G3FOMX': No such file or directory

(python:8704): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(python:8704): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.FMGOMX': No such file or directory

(python:8704): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

Any help...will be much appreciated.

Last edited by drogers on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Virtualbox VMs - How does one configure vboxwrapper?...(
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 am 

Additional information/t-shoot

I found the vboxwrapper.py here /root/gns3v1-python/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ I then copied vboxwrapper.py tcp_pipe_proxy.py vboxcontroller_4_3.py to this locations

step completed
3) sudo cp vboxwrapper.py tcp_pipe_proxy.py vboxcontroller_4_3.py /root/gns3v1-python/lib/python3.4/site-packages/

Now when I use this location in the virtualbox prefs. I get the error message vboxwrapper.py is not an executable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 am 

Vboxwrapper needs to be installed with Python 2.7.

The cp command won't be needed any longer, since we now have a working setup script (setup.py)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:17 pm 

VBox works fine with v0.8.6, so I am assuming that was installed with Python 2.7. When it did not work with the beta3 I did the instructions listed in the previous thread. Am I missing something? I can remove it from the venv and then rm the files I copied, but that will only put me back to where I was before I installed it in the venv, sitll not working.

Im lost here,

Vr/
Darren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:53 pm 

drogers wrote:
VBox works fine with v0.8.6, so I am assuming that was installed with Python 2.7.
VBox in 0.8.6 worked slightly differently. Basically there is no Python 3 vbox interface so we have to use Python 2.
drogers wrote:
When it did not work with the beta3 I did the instructions listed in the previous thread. Am I missing something? I can remove it from the venv and then rm the files I copied, but that will only put me back to where I was before I installed it in the venv, sitll not working.
Yes, remove it from the venv and remove the files copied manually and install it again using:
Code:
python2 setup.py install
this way it doesn't matter if you're in the venv or not as you're explicitly specifying python2
drogers wrote:
Im lost here
Stick with it... It's not easy but it's worth the wait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
VBox in 0.8.6 worked slightly differently. Basically there is no Python 3 vbox interface so we have to use Python 2.

For info, plans are to get rid of vboxwrapper soon and just use vboxmanage for our backend on all platforms.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm 

grossmj wrote:
For info, plans are to get rid of vboxwrapper soon and just use vboxmanage for our backend on all platforms.

Sounds good to me! One less package to get into Debian... when I do (after release) :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 pm 

Dan,

removed: vboxwrapper.py tcp_pipe_proxy.py vboxcontroller_4_3.py /root/gns3v1-python/lib/python3.4/site-packages/

(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper# python2 setup.py install

output omitted

(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper#
(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3#

Awesome!!! All worked well...almost

my virtualbox prefs. in gns3:/usr/local/bin/vboxwrapper (this was the path I saw in the output I omitted generated from the vboxwrapper installation process.
my virtualbox vms are working perfectly after refreshing list

when I attempt to start a virtual box host in gns3 I get this error:

Code:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

This appears in the gns3 console window

Code:
GNS3 management console. Running GNS3 Early Release (ER) version 1.0beta3 on linux (64-bit).
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 GNS3 Technologies.

> Server error [-3200] from 127.0.0.1:8001: CAINE-4.0-vbox03: unable to start instance 'CAINE-4.0-vbox03': WARNING:vboxwrapper.virtualbox_controller:cannot unlock the machine for CAINE-4.0-vbox03, retrying 1: 0x8000ffff (The session is not locked (session state: Unlocked))
WARNING:vboxwrapper.virtualbox_controller:cannot unlock the machine for CAINE-4.0-vbox03, retrying 2: 0x8000ffff (The session is not locked (session state: Unlocked))
WARNING:vboxwrapper.virtualbox_controller:cannot unlock the machine for CAINE-4.0-vbox03, retrying 3: 0x8000ffff (The session is not locked (session state: Unlocked))
ERROR:vboxwrapper.vboxwrapper:Could not unlock the machine after 4 retries: 0x8000ffff (The session is not locked (session state: Unlocked))

I am guessing I need to install the virtualbox drv with python2 in the venv, is that correct? If it is, I'm not sure how to do that.

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 am 

drogers wrote:
Dan,

removed: vboxwrapper.py tcp_pipe_proxy.py vboxcontroller_4_3.py /root/gns3v1-python/lib/python3.4/site-packages/

(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper# python2 setup.py install

output omitted

(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3/vboxwrapper#
(gns3v1-python) [email protected]:/home/darren/Downloads/gns3#

Awesome!!! All worked well...almost
Excellent!

drogers wrote:
Code:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

This here is the problem... as it says "Kernel driver not installed".

You can try running the command it gives in the that message.... or if you haven't already done so install virtualbox via apt-get (this is what I have)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 pm 

WOW...twice now I'm eating crow, after posting what the problem was/is and how to solve it. One would think I didn't read the stuff I post.

Anyway, just tested vbox after running the suggested command from inside venv, vbox works perfectly now.

Thank you,
vbox issues solved.