It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: IOU Wireshark problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:42 am 

Hello guys,
I have a problem with the wireshark in gns3-er-beta3.

I receive the following message when i try to open the wireshark on an IOU interface:

I even tried to it by putting a generic switch between the 2 IOU devices..

Here are my Packet Capture preferences:

Another issues that rised is that my vpcs is not getting an ip from the DHCP server..

Can anyone expain what is happening here?

Another question is how can i see the version of IOU i'm using and where can i find the newest one?

Thanks in advance!!

Post subject: Re: IOU Wireshark problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 pm 

apostolos2007 wrote:
Hello guys,
I have a problem with the wireshark in gns3-er-beta3.

I receive the following message when i try to open the wireshark on an IOU interface:

I even tried to it by putting a generic switch between the 2 IOU devices..

Here are my Packet Capture preferences:

This apparently is only a problem with the Windows version. Gns3 uses Tails to pipe the output file to Wireshark, and apparently the file variable is pointing to a default location in *nix fomat. I couldn't find a way to set the default path, this doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I couldn't find it.

You can find the capture file and open it with Wireshark but if you just open it with Wireshare, it doesn't open as a live capture. This can be found in the files\Dynamips\captures folder in the project directory.

Another quick workaround is to add a hub on the segment you want to capture, add a cloud and configure it to use a Host Only Adapter, then right click on the connection and start a capture as you normally would do. If you have "Automatically start the live capture application" checked it the "Packet capture" options, it will start Wireshark and open the file as a static. Click capture at the top, then interfaces, and start a capture from the adapter you attached to the cloud.

Quote:

Another issues that rised is that my vpcs is not getting an ip from the DHCP server..

Can anyone expain what is happening here?

Same here. Maybe someone else has a quick answer. I have some things to do an may be able to look at it tonight.

Quote:

Another question is how can i see the version of IOU i'm using and where can i find the newest one?

Thanks in advance!!

To see the current version of IOU, just open the webpage on your IOU server where you uploaded the switch and router images. It tells you the version there.

The latest one is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/files/IOU%20VMs/

It was updated to beta 4. The beta 4 of the GN3 GUI is also available: http://new.gns3.net/
I downloaded and installed it and it broke... hehe. So maybe you want to wait a while. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 am 

Hello! Thank you for your response!
But there isn't such a folder (files\Dynamips\captures) in my folders.... What could be going wrong?
I also tried installing gns3 on Ubuntu and i had the same problem... Do you know of a site with detailed installation of GNS3 on Ubuntu?

Thank you very much!

I also downloaded the beta4 and there were no routers in the Router section to import into my topology (no IOU as well)...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:56 am 

apostolos2007 wrote:
Hello! Thank you for your response!
But there isn't such a folder (files\Dynamips\captures) in my folders.... What could be going wrong?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The location of the capture file, assuming you have saved the project, will be in the projects folder.

Let's say your project folder is in the default location: C:\Users\username\Documents\GNS3\projects\

You save a project with the name GNS3_wireshark. The location of the capture file will be:
C:\Users\username\Documents\GNS3\projects\GNS3_wireshark\GNS3_wireshark-files\dynamips\captures\

Quote:
I also tried installing gns3 on Ubuntu and i had the same problem... Do you know of a site with detailed installation of GNS3 on Ubuntu?

Thank you very much!

I don't currently have a Linux only box, so the only sites I provide you would be the same ones you get from google.

Quote:
I also downloaded the beta4 and there were no routers in the Router section to import into my topology (no IOU as well)...

The 0.8.7 version is pretty stable. If you don't immediately need level 2 switches, then you can stick with that. Most tutorials use this version.

In the beta 4 version, the routers aren't added to the Router section until you save a config for them. I still haven't gotten beta4 to work quite yet. I can set up a topo but get errors when I save.

I backed up the beta 3 folder and kept the Vbox image for the IOU server so I was able to rollback. I think while 1.0 is in beta, it's a good idea to keep installs separate. Problems are expected.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 am 

Thanks for your fast reply..

I searched the folders of my projects but no captures folder was in there...

Can't understand what is going on.. Can you explain a little more the way with the cloud and hub?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 am 

apostolos2007 wrote:
Thanks for your fast reply..

I searched the folders of my projects but no captures folder was in there...

Can't understand what is going on.. Can you explain a little more the way with the cloud and hub?

Thank you!

Add a cloud to your topo. Hosts -> cloud

Right click on the cloud and left click "Configure." The node configuration window will open.

Left click on the cloud. Make sure you're on the "NIO Ethernet" tab.

The first field is "Generic Ethernet NIO." Right below that is a field with a drop-down menu that lets you select the various network adapters available on your computer. The list will show items available by going to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings.

Select a Virtualbox Host Only Adapter from the list. Then click add. I renamed my first Virtualbox Host Only Adapter VB HOA in reference to the pic below. The reason you want to use a VB Host Only Adapter

Connect this cloud to a hub. I'm sure you know this, but you want a hub because a hub sends all traffic out of every port. Though if you're just capping traffic on one link, a switch would work just fine.

Attachment:
cloud and hub.png
cloud and hub.png [ 25.78 KiB | Viewed 11523 times ]

Now just open Wireshark and start a capture on the network adapter that you attached to the cloud.

When you want to do a live cap on another segment, just delete the wire and connect the relevant ports to the hub.

This is just a workaround. I'm sure eventually they'll fix the inline capture.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

Another option is to start the tail pipe by commandline. You'll have to insert the location of the pcap (network capture) file manually: "C:\Program Files\GNS3-ERb3\tail.exe" -f -c +0b C:\gns3\projects\GNS3_1b3_Inter-VLANex2\GNS3_1b3_Inter-VLANex2-files\dynamips\captures\R1_FastEthernet0-0_to_S1_Ethernet0-1.pcap | "C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe" -k -i -