It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Qemu maximum Adapter 8 Limitation on new gns3 for windows
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 pm 

Hi Experts,

i notice in new gns3 if we emulate anything i qemu we get maximum 8 interface only.why such limitation in new gns3 and how can i activate more than 8 interface in qemu running on windows machine.as i am not a linux guy or not very good with linux and qemu.so i need you guys help to activate my qemu for more than 8 interface on my windows machine...

please share the method

thanks in advance

Praveen

Post subject: Re: Qemu maximum Adapter 8 Limitation on new gns3 for window
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:37 am 

Hi Experts

still waiting for your response pls answer to this thread...............

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

This is a Qemu limitation if I remember correctly. Can someone else confirm we cannot have more than 8 interfaces in Qemu?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:05 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Hi,

This is a Qemu limitation if I remember correctly. Can someone else confirm we cannot have more than 8 interfaces in Qemu?

Thanks,

Yes. Some OSs obviously have limits. I checked with Tinycore and Microcore. Tinycore wouldn't ping out of the NIC 9, so must be limited to 10. Microcore didn't have any problems with 16.

I used GNS 0.8.7 because it allows setting the adapter number higher than 8.

Last edited by twv on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Jeremy, in old version of Gns3 there is more interfaces .pls check and if possible pls find solution to overcome this limitation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 pm 

Jeremy is correct... It is a qemu limitation (that is well known with a little google search).

It's possible to modify qemu to support more as mentioned in the following post: post6979.html#p6979

And the file in question can be seen in full in the Qemu Github mirror: https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/maste ... net.h#L163

From a GNS3 point of view, I feel it's most sensible to stick with what Qemu has as it's default (otherwise we're going to run into problems with people not running a modified version).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
From a GNS3 point of view, I feel it's most sensible to stick with what Qemu has as it's default (otherwise we're going to run into problems with people not running a modified version).

I agree. Ideally, we should have this changed upstream. I wonder what is the reason to have a low value like this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 am 

claydon_dan wrote:
Jeremy is correct... It is a qemu limitation (that is well known with a little google search).

It's possible to modify qemu to support more as mentioned in the following post: post6979.html#p6979

And the file in question can be seen in full in the Qemu Github mirror: https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/maste ... net.h#L163

The QEMU version (0.11.0) that comes packaged with the All-In-One GN3 0.8.7 seems to limit the number of adapters to 8 but the QEMU (2.1.0) bundled with the beta works fine if you point the 0.8.7 GUI to use the beta 4 version.

I used a standalone install of QEMU on Windows 7,was able to use the qemuwrapper and qemu-img that were bundled with GNS3 but changed the executable path to the standalone Qemu.

So just to be clear: GNS3 0.8.7 gui, qemuwrapper.ex, and qemu-img.exe was used with the QEMU (2.15.0) binary installed as a standalone.

The results were that I was able to bump the NICs up to 16 in the QEMU config for Tinycore connect it to a hub, put a router on the other side, and ping back and forth with eth15. I didn't check every adapter available and I can't account for stability because I don't have a use for 16 ports on one guest yet.

So current limitation is a matter of the GNS3 1.0's hard limit of 8 adapters max.

Attachments:
File comment: Tinycore (Qemu) pinging R1 (GNS3)
QemuPingEth15.JPG
QemuPingEth15.JPG [ 143.64 KiB | Viewed 8060 times ]
File comment: Tinycore eth15 static ip set.
tinycoreEth15.JPG
tinycoreEth15.JPG [ 40.12 KiB | Viewed 8060 times ]
File comment: Tinycore w/ 16 nics, eth15 connected.
tinycore16nics.JPG
tinycore16nics.JPG [ 57.12 KiB | Viewed 8060 times ]
File comment: Topology
TCandRouter.JPG
TCandRouter.JPG [ 15.73 KiB | Viewed 8060 times ]
File comment: Qemu Configuration
QemuConf1.jpg
QemuConf1.jpg [ 82.26 KiB | Viewed 8060 times ]

Last edited by twv on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 am 

I also tried it with the Qemu (2.1.0) that was bundled with beta 4 and got the same results. Once again, I'm using the 0.8.7 gui because beta4 bugs out if I try to load a saved topo and beta3 has a 8 adapter limit in the Qemu setup window.

I had some time so I went ahead and tested all 16 interfaces. Initially when Tinycore booted up, the interfaces above eth9 were shutdown. I ran dhclient on each interface to pick up addresses from the DHCP server I configured on R1 in the topo.

Eth10-eth15 picked up the same DHCP address as eth0 even though the MACs where different. However, I was able to manually configure an ip address on those interfaces.

I then ran a ping through each interface with a packet capture. All sent normal ICMP traffic and got a response from R1.

Attachments:
File comment: Qemu setup GNS3 1.0 beta4
QemuConfBeta4.JPG
QemuConfBeta4.JPG [ 81.69 KiB | Viewed 8056 times ]

Last edited by twv on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 am 

twv wrote:
claydon_dan wrote:

The QEMU version (0.11.0) that comes packaged with the All-In-One GN3 0.8.7 seems to limit the number of adapters to 8 but the QEMU (2.1.0) bundled with the beta works fine if you point the 0.8.7 GUI to use the beta 4 version.

I used a standalone install of QEMU on Windows 7,was able to use the qemuwrapper and qemu-img that were bundled with GNS3 but changed the executable path to the standalone Qemu.

So just to be clear: GNS3 0.8.7 gui, qemuwrapper.ex, and qemu-img.exe was used with the QEMU (2.15.0) binary installed as a standalone.

The results were that I was able to bump the NICs up to 16 in the QEMU config for Tinycore connect it to a hub, put a router on the other side, and ping back and forth with eth15. I didn't check every adapter available and I can't account for stability because I don't have a use for 16 ports on one guest yet.

So current limitation is a matter of the GUI's hard limit of 8 adapters max.

Hi Twv,

thanks buddy for sharing your trick .would you pls tell from where u get QEMU (2.15.0) binary installer for windows .as on gns3 portal i search but not get i also search on qemu there also its not available.please help me to get it share your QEMU (2.15.0) binary installer with us....

thanks once again