It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to run Linux MLS switch in GNS3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm 

Hi,
you can use any OS if this OS supports Qemu installation (patched with Jeremy's patch). So answer is yes, you can use WinXP with GNS3 to run LiSA.

I tested LiSA for L2 and L3 switching (through SVI). For LiSA configuration, check the 5th and 6th video, here.

http://brezular.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/simple-compatibility-test-between-cisco-vyatta-and-lisa/

Cheers,

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:21 pm 

Thanks for sharing a great work!

I have a Windows 7 OS, can you plz tell me what is the first step to make this work out.
Do I have to install CentOS on a virtual machine? Or I just download the image you created and use as quemu image?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:42 pm 

Hi,
this is how to install LiSA to Qemu image from scratch. No need to do all steps, for quick LiSA testing download my LiSA Qemu image and run it in GNS3 environment. GNS3 Win package should contains Qemu binary (patched for multicats, UDP tunnels etc).

You need to set path to qemuwrapper, qemu.exe, qemu-img (Edit-> Preferences-> Qemu-> General Setting) in GNS3 settings.

You also need to set path to LiSA Qemu image, RAm, NIC model etc. in (Edit-> Preferences-> Qemu-> Qemu Host) in GNS3 setting.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:34 pm 
Hi,
I did everything as your guide, i can start the qemu host with lisa-cen image, log in using "swcli", but it has very little commands, what i must do to have full command as in your video ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:18 am 

I got the same problem with hacuong. We don't have full command in switch configuration. Only create vlan, name it, switchport mode, and switchport access, no spanning tree or vtp.

Can you plz help us? I see you run GNS3 on linux in your video? So is that the point to have full commands?

By the way, when I run a small test with this switch, I got the duplex mismatch. It's very funny. I change the duplex of the interfaces on both routers, but then they are automatically changed to half duplex, then the mismatch message was displayed again.

See the attachment for this problem.

Attachments:
DuplexMismatch.jpg
DuplexMismatch.jpg [ 239.35 KiB | Viewed 4774 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 pm 

Hi guys,
please, think about LiSA as Cisco switch simulator which is very feature limited comparing to other Cisco Switch Simulators - Packet Tracer or Bosson.
To be honest LiSA currently supports only L2 switching and intervlan routing - for this reason I think is not suitable for people hunting Cisco SWITCH certification. The goal of my tutorial is mainly to show that some enthusiastic people can program their own Linux switch - not so powerfull as Cisco hardware switch with plenty of ASICs, but still functional.

We know that lots of standardized network protocols has been already implemented in Linux (OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, LLDP, CDP, 802.1q, VRRP, RSTP, etherchannel, RADIUS, etc.) and they can help to LISA be more featured. They can be add in LiSA userspace, CLI (check wiki on LiSA webpage) and this could be a challenge all clever people to add these protocols to LiSA source.

On the other you can't find Cisco proprietary protocols (VTP, ISL, PVST+, RSTP+, HRSP, GLBP etc.) in Linux because of its proprietary nature, (except like CDP ;-).
But they can be replaced with standards which are sometimes better (802.1q, RSTP, MST) or they are not (VRRP comparing to GLBP).

Quote:
see you run GNS3 on linux in your video? So is that the point to have full commands?

The full command you mentioned are probably from R1 output - it is Dynamips emulated router with NM-16SW switch module (it can do VTP and STP you miss in LiSA).

Quote:
I change the duplex of the interfaces on both routers, but then they are automatically changed to half duplex, then the mismatch message was displayed again

Does it change back to half dupolex when you set both speed and duplex mode manually on both routers?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:20 am 

I issued show interface on R1 and R2, and it showed that interface f0/0 on R1 (and R2) is in half duplex mode. when I changed it to full duplex on both routers, the interface was up. Then I issued show CDP neighbor, it can see lisa switch. However, few seconds later, it automatically changed back to half duplex mode.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 am 

Hi,
I tried to reproduce your duplex mismatch error but both R1 (2621) and LiSA keep duplex mode. I tested it with RTL8139 and e1000 NICs for LiSA and Qemu 0.12.5. What Cisco router, Qemu and Qemu NICs do you use?

isa#show interfaces eth0
Interface eth0, type=1, index=2
Link detected: yes
Interface status: up
Hardware address: 00:aa:00:5c:a9:00
Permanent address: 00:aa:00:5c:a9:00
MTU: 1500
Pause param: autoneg: 1, rx_pause: 1, tx_pause: 0
Supported = 0x00ef
Advertising = 0x00ef
Speed = 1000
Duplex = 1

Auto = 1
Driver: e1000, version: 7.3.20-k2-NAPI, fw_version: N/A, bus: 0000:00:03

R1#show interfaces fastEthernet 0/0
FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is AmdFE, address is c800.58ac.0000 (bia c800.58ac.0000)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 am 

I use lisa image you posted, Cisco 2691 with e1000 and quemu 0.11.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm 

Hi,
today I noticed half-duplex behaviour you had mentioned. Just manually configure speed and duplex on Cisco side - that is it.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next