It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How To - Install JunOS on GNS3 -- [Awesome Detailed Steps]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:43 am 
[Edit - a more simplified method is documented here topic6557.html - RedNectar]

Just wanted to share my experience i have tried and tested it, an awesome link .. Do let me know if you face any problems. Cheers!
A very detailed and helpful link with all the important steps listed. Do let me know about your feedback so i can post more on this ..
[MODERATOR removed link - original article at http://blog.gns3.net/2009/10/olive-juniper/ ]

Post subject: Re: How To - Install JunOS on GNS3 -- [Awesome Detailed Steps]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:52 pm 

Hi,

originally this Tutorial is made by Jeremy (Developer of GNS3) and it is published in the official GNS3 blog:

http://blog.gns3.net/2009/10/olive-juniper/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
Wait a minute! I don't quite get it: in GNS3 there is a special device type called 'Juniper Router' and as far as I can conclude from all these tutorials they only deal with qemu directly which results in a lot of routine work and somewhat unclear integration with dynamips units. What is then that mysterious 'Juniper Router' type used for? Can one just supply JUNOS image, FreeBDS image (if necessary) and simply place the box in the network diagram all within one PC, link to Cisco virtual boxes and be happy with that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm 

Hi,
Quote:
Can one just supply JUNOS image, FreeBDS image (if necessary) and simply place the box in the network diagram all within one PC, link to Cisco virtual boxes and be happy with that?

It is as it works now. For doing this you need to create and run multiple virtual machines - qemu images. Each qemu image (VM) contains FreeBSD with JunOS installed. That is why we need to use Qemu if we want to run multiple Juniper routers on one PC - virtualization is needed.

Another possibility is using VMware for running multiple VMware images with FreeBSD and JunOS installed but VMware is not integrated in GNS3. If you want to use VMware, you need to connect Junipers to Cisco emulated router via cloud (loopaback or tap interfaces).

As I said Qemu is integrated in GNS3 - it means you can control (create/start/stop/delete) your Qemu Junos images directly form GNS3 desktop - no need for doing this from cli. Everything what you need is to create your base-image (http://blog.gns3.net/2009/10/olive-juniper/ and set Qemu and JunOS parameters (path to base image, type of interfaces, RAM, Qemu acceleration). You do it only once. After that you can drag and drop Juniper routers to GNS3 desktop, start routers and qemu (qemu-img), controlled by qemuwrapper create, start Juniper for you.

If you don't like virtualization and you have many old computers you can install FreeBSD and JunOS on these computers and connected them via Ethernet cards. It will works too.

Cheers,

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:52 pm 

You have to do all this because of delivering Olive image is illegal....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
I don't understand.
Everybody knows you can run Junos in vmware since it is for x86 architecture.
For the same reason you can do it in qemu. But why did the integrate 'Juniper Router' device and how can I use it?
It's not mentioned in the tutorials I've read. Can it use a software image somehow derived from qemu instance or what is it about?