It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mouse wheel to scroll instead of zoom?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am 

Hello,

Is this possible (the title of this thread)?

If not, this can be considered as a wishlist as I think it's a nice to have feature (maybe a selection through the settings if it is not desirable from everyone) :)
Many programs use the mouse wheel to scroll and when you press the ctrl key and mouse wheel to zoom in or out.
If you have a laptop with a multi touch touchpad it very handfull if you can scroll up/down/right/left using the two fingers :)
Also another good way to navigate in your workspace inspired by photoshop...
Press the space bar (hold it down) and left click somewhere in the workspace. Then move your mouse.

Post subject: Re: Mouse wheel to scroll instead of zoom?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:08 am 
Site Admin

I recently implemented a way to scroll the scene, use middle click or right and left click at the same time. Maybe this is not the standard way it should work, let see what others think ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 am 

grossmj wrote:
I recently implemented a way to scroll the scene, use middle click or right and left click at the same time. Maybe this is not the standard way it should work, let see what others think ;)

Good to know :)
It works and two buttons at the same time it's quite simple even for a touchpad!
The way I suggested is a more "standarized" one though (at least I've seen it in more programs) but let's wait to see if anyone else will answer!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:46 pm 

I'm with cyberang3l - this is something I'd dearly love for two reasons:
1. I think it is more intuitive to have the scroll wheel actually SCROLL the page move up/down than zoom in/out (and if you mouse supports left/right, like the Apple magic mouse, then scrolling left/right should, you know, scroll left/right)
2. I find that I often zoom the scene in or out of existence when I accidentally move the scroll (VERY easy to do with the magic mouse)

Sorry Jeremy, but I don't see the middle-click or right/left click thing being much use

My suggestion would be:
Scroll up/down - moves the page up down, just like it would in a word processing document
Scroll left/right - moves the left/right, just like it would in a word processing document
Hold down SHIFT (configurable?) and scroll - zoom in/out - as per the current implementation

The only reason I haven't suggested this before is because I see it as a cosmetic feature, and there are more important issues at the moment. But, if the code is already written, then it would be nice to have it used in the time honoured way.

BTW - I just tried the middle click thing on the latest 0.7.3 debugging version and I couldn't get the page to move up/down or left/right - the scroll wheel is the way to go! I think you'll find a lot of people will have special functions assigned to left+right click as well - by default =middle click for most PCs I think. Bit cumbersome to use three fingers too.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 am 
I don't know, I would much rather be able to zoom with the mouse wheel rather than scroll. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

How about we figure out a good compromise?
What about a button on the menu bar that toggles between a scene translate mode (left click drags the scene/mouse wheel zooms/hand cursor) and a selection mode (left click selects objects/mouse wheel scrolls/normal arrow cursor)?

The scene does zoom a rather large amount for a small amount of mouse wheel movement. Maybe we make it less sensitive?

What do you think? I'm a programmer so I don't always have the best UI ideas.

But I am going to be out of contact for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow so I won't be able to work on it until I get back.
I get to trek out into the middle of nowhere to learn about extreme cold weather survival. Considering it's been -30 F here for the last couple of days it should be pretty exciting. Hopefully I return with all my fingers and toes. Just Kidding I'll be fine.

I'll experiment with it when I get back. I'll see if I can figure out an intuitive solution that makes most everyone happy.

-Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:00 am 
grossmj wrote:

You implemented a way to scroll the scene? :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 am 
SpookyCW wrote:
grossmj wrote:

You implemented a way to scroll the scene? :)

Now that I think about it... I actually implemented a way to scroll because I was frustrated that there was no way to do it with the mouse wheel.
Maybe it would be better if it was flipped around so that pushing the middle mouse button zooms( when you move the mouse forwards and backwards) and rolling the wheel scrolls?

Still not going to be able to change it for a while though. Sorry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Now that GNS3 0.7.3 has been released, I'm gonna wait if you can do it ;)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm 

I can make the lef+right button thing work with my mouse, but not my touchpad.

And those of us that use touchpads will know the frustration that you get when you accidentally move the scroll when in GNS3 (which is pretty easy to do on a touchpad or magic mouse) - for me, I find I am always resetting the screen zoom, and the most frustrating part is that scrolling in the opposite direction does not necessarily bring the topology back to the same part of the screen as it was even after the zoom level is restored.

I really think implementing this as "Mouse wheel to scroll instead of zoom" would be a far better idea - and then have SHIFT+mouse wheel to zoom (not CTRL+wheel, because CTRL+scroll zooms the whole screen for those of us who use OS X)

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:05 am 
I'm back!

I'm working on this I should have changes posted very soon.
I'm going to change the middle mouse wheel to scroll instead of zoom the scene as asked. I don't think the scene drag code should be removed as I believe it's a useful feature. I have seen the middle mouse button used in several programs translate the view. EX: blender, Adobe Fireworks, etc. I added left+right click functionality for PC users who don't have mouse wheels at all.

-SpookyCW