It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bugs/new features in GNS3 0.7.3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 pm 

Here I'll post all Bugs for this release (0.7.3 for Windows)

There are some real problems with Ethernet Switch:
*) When a SW is connected with a Cloud with a Real NIC (NIO Eth) the communication is no longer working (no firewall active)
With VMWare NICS is working good
EX: [R1 Fa0/0]--[P1 WS1 P2]--[REAL_NIO Cloud] is not working, or is working ~50% or less (worst), but
EX: [R1 Fa0/0]------------------[REAL_NIO Cloud] is working great!
Youtube: [GNS3 0.7.3 Release - Weird connection with "Ethernet Switch"] (Video is unlisted)
Please use HD quality for view! (720p)

*) On mouseover to Switch, shows double messages for the connected links (Attached Screen-shot)
Attachment:
Sw-bug.jpg
Sw-bug.jpg [ 27.58 KiB | Viewed 12433 times ]

*) If you delete a link between a SW and a Cloud, on mouseover the connection is still there and is PING is still working :))
You can save, close GNS3, reopen that topology and that link will reappear on the map.
You can delete cloud as well, but will reappear at .net reopen with the link to the SW!
The only solution is to delete the SW...

-----------------[Update]------------------

*) I've make that simple topology do some pings, tests, etc and later when I try to save the project "Save project as..."
and checking "save NVRAM and ISO startup configs" it crash. The sniffer capture was started on R3.
Attachment:
Save-error.jpg
Save-error.jpg [ 103.48 KiB | Viewed 12449 times ]

*) If you use Dynagen 'shell' command and execute something GNS3 remains stuck (waiting) until that something is over...

[Improvements]
*) Implement the possibility to drag'n'drop a .net topology inside GNS3, because with option "gns3.exe --configdir <DIR>" as favorite :))
opening a .net file by "double-click" will open a new GNS3 window with the default location of configdir

*) Remove from Dynagen console history (hist + arrow keys UP DOWN) empty lines (CR-LF and LF)
If you press enter for a few times, then you must press up arrow for the same number of times to see your last command.

*) Possibility to load the images/IOS when you drag a new node with more than one images in the order that they are in gns3.ini file
Now it is not respecting that numbers and is not sorting alphabetically...
Will be great to have the option to sort them manually from options (drag one above/blow another)
Attachment:
sort.jpg
sort.jpg [ 140.78 KiB | Viewed 12460 times ]

-----------------[Update]------------------

*) There are some problems with "Show interface labels" sometimes it works great, sometimes don't :)
In release notes you said: "Preventing unsaved interface labels to show up after loading a topology. This can be reset using the 'show interface labels' button."
With "Show interface labels" on, if I delete a label and press back "Show interface labels" hides all of them, again shows all without the one I deleted.
This is ok, but there is no possibility to reset back those labels except to save the topology, reopen and press that button 2 times.
Please make it ask that question on doubleclick or after deactivate/reactivate. Also per node in the right click menu.

*) GNS3 allows to run multiple instances which is very good if you have remote labs or statically assigned hypervisors in topology files correctly configured to not overlap each other with there own "workingdir", unique consoles ports, etc (same for qemuwrapper)
But by default opening a new "GNS3.exe" and adding a dynamips node it tries to create a hypervisor on port 7200, sees that is occupied and ask user to kill that process. If you say no, it will hang there until you close previous GNS3 instance when will say that it can not create that VM nod (Both are named R1)
The point is that: "2 GNS3 instances can't communicate with one dynamips process in the same time".
So the idea is that if it detects that another hypervisor is on port 7200 ask user to kill that process or to create a new one on a higher TCP port Ex: 7200+(10 from the last unused port>7200), to let some room for new hypervisors created by previous GNS3 instances. Thats because of dynamips limits for the maximum number of emulated nodes per process.

*) Selecting a text in Dynagen console is weird. You have to doubleclick first to make a new selection start point and then select something up or down from there.
Paste function (Right click menu only, CTRL+V is broken) just put the text inside, enter after that does nothing.

*) Border style modification in "Add a note" has no effect... (Or it doesn't suppose to have :))

*) Sometimes reload function on router (right click menu) crashes dymamips -> "It may have crashed. Check the dynamips server output"
A short delay can solve this.

Last edited by tranzitwww on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bugs in GNS3 0.7.3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hi Guys,

Im trying to change symbol for cloud. It is ok while project is opened. After save and reopening project cloud symbol returning back to cloud.
example; I was changing cloud (wmvare station wit wm NIO) to IP Phone symbol. OK still Im in project, after save it returns back to cloud symbol.
Seems that problem can be solved if I adding this symbol in node type list on the left with correct symbol associated with cloud. If I using these nodes/symbols all is OK, symbol stays as I like.
I found this problem on cloud node.
If I changing any of routers node to other symbol all is OK, after saving stays as new choice.
Please explain it, maybe some points Im doing wrong....

Small thing, but if I receiving some labs from my friends, all changed symbols what works well on friend PC, become clods on my. Nothing help other than change all topology using my nodes.

Uldis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

You did nothing wrong, just a bug. I'll fix that for a future release.

Thanks for reporting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm 

I've add the video for the strange [SW <-> Real_NIC_Cloud] behavior where the MAC is flapping from one port to another of the SW.
Packets are coming ok from one side from GNS3->REAL and no response comes back (When traffic is generated from GNS3).
And case 2 from REAL->GNS3 only ~50% goes to GNS3 and all reply comes back...

I'm not sure if is a bug or just my computer have a issue, because I don't have right now a new clean OS to test on it!
Please confirm if anybody else have this problem! (Watch the video!)

I've also updated the list of bugs. (Jeremy, I hope you don't get mad on me, because I heavy stress you ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hey don't worry, I'll kill you later ;)

Thanks for these debugs!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 am 

After a hard "work" I finally got the IDS to work on windows too, but now there is a issue with qemuwrapper.exe

Because Qemu 0.11.0 (0.13.0 is not working at all) has some problems with smbios stuff (wrong strings parsing)...
Ex from [-smbios type=1,product="long text containing space characters"] with smbios_bios_info will have ["long]

I've find a workaround to solve the problem using the command like this:
Ex from [-smbios "type=1,product=long text containing space characters"] with smbios_bios_info will have [long text containing space characters]

Now comes qemuwrapper which says that you can't use double quotes inside the Qemu options command
and because Qemu doesn't work with single quotes, using smbios command in GNS3 is impossible!
The only workaround is to use smbios binary files, but you have to care about 2 more files...

Please add the possibility to use double quote as well as single quote.
I've try also with (\") and got a new error ;) => *** Error: 203-Bad number of parameters (8 with min/max=3/3)

Code:
-------Single quote case-------
#IDS with those Qemu options
-smbios 'type=0,vendor=Phoenix Technologies Ltd.,version=1.10,date=09/30/2002,release=A04' -smbios 'type=1,product=IDS-4235,manufacturer=Cisco Systems,version=1.0,serial=12345789012,uuid=E0A32395-8DFE-D511-8C31-001FC641BA6B,sku=011,family=IDS-4235/4250'

#qemuwrepper output. Why do you segment all those fields in such manner?
command: [ ... '-smbios', "'type=0,vendor=Phoenix", 'Technologies', "Ltd.,version=1.10,date=09/30/2002,release=A04'", '-smbios', "'type=1,product=IDS-4235,manufacturer=Cisco", "Systems,version=1.0,serial=12345789012,uuid=E0A32395-8DFE-D511-8C31-001FC641BA6B,sku=011,family=IDS-4235/4250'"]

#Qemu crashes when are using single quotes (') in command line, but the command get there as expected (In one piece)
smbios: must specify type= or file=
Wrong smbios provided

-------Double quote case-------
#IDS with those Qemu options
-smbios "type=0,vendor=Phoenix Technologies Ltd.,version=1.10,date=09/30/2002,release=A04" -smbios "type=1,product=IDS-4235,manufacturer=Cisco Systems,version=1.0,serial=12345789012,uuid=E0A32395-8DFE-D511-8C31-001FC641BA6B,sku=011,family=IDS-4235/4250"

#qemuwrapper.exe complaining that the qemu options contains double quotes (")
Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 30143)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SocketServer.pyc", line 558, in process_request_thread
  File "SocketServer.pyc", line 320, in finish_request
  File "SocketServer.pyc", line 615, in __init__
  File "qemuwrapper.py", line 573, in handle
  File "qemuwrapper.py", line 591, in handle_one_request
  File "qemuwrapper.py", line 581, in __get_tokens
Error: newline inside string

#GNS3 Dynagen debug
=>   DEBUG: sending to qemuwrapper at 127.0.0.1:10525 -> qemu setattr IDS1 options "-no-quit -no-acpi -smbios "type=0,vendor=Phoenix Technologies Ltd.,version=1.10,date=09/30/2002,release=A04" -smbios "type=1,product=IDS-4235,manufacturer=Cisco Systems,version=1.0,serial=12345789012,uuid=E0A32395-8DFE-D511-8C31-001FC641BA6B,sku=011,family=IDS-4235/4250""
Error: lost communication with qemuwrapper server 127.0.0.1
It may have crashed. Check the qemuwrapper server output.
Exiting...
---------Traceback lines (saved in exception.log)----------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "GNS3\UndoFramework.pyo", line 200, in redo
  File "GNS3\Node\AnyEmuDevice.pyo", line 166, in set_config
  File "GNS3\Dynagen\qemu_lib.pyo", line 472, in _setoptions
  File "GNS3\Dynagen\dynamips_lib.pyo", line 4768, in send
DynamipsErrorHandled
-----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am 

*) Qemu 0.13.0 has a serious smbios problem (Is not working at all)
topic2949-10.html#p9040

*) Because rednectar is right and people probably want to test interconnectivity between multiple Dynamips chassis or IOSes
it will be great for GNS3 to start a new dynamips process (hypervisor) for every chassis or IOS and smartly group all (in its limits depending on model) per chassis and IOS

This meaning that if a user has a topology with two 2611XM nodes with identical IOS and one 3725 node, GNS3 should create two hypervisors, one for both 2611XM and one for 3725
I think that this workaround can boost the performance and allow a better interconnectivity only if those multiple hypervisors can communicating fast enough to fill the difference :))
rednectar wrote:
General Tips for keeping CPU under control
Always use the same image for ALL routers in your topology if possible.
This means using the same router model as well. If this is not possible, use the same image for all routers of the same model.

*)In the annotate menu can you add a "draw line" or "draw arrow" and also implement the backgrounds functions ;)
Helpful to point a note to a specific node, etc...

*) Now a old issue with "IOS images and hypervisors"...
I don't know how to report this a 'bug' or a 'good friendly feature' ;)
I guess that it can be called a feature for users with real external hypervisors on other servers.

Every time I open a old .net topology where the binding for Dynamips was "[localhost:7205]" (Because later in global settings I've changed it to 127.0.0.1)
it automatically added a new "IOS image" entry in the "IOS images and hypervisors" list and a external "hypervisor" called localhost:7205
And than remains there forever, saved into configuration if is not manually deleted :))

This is very annoying when you drag a new Dynamips node inside the topology and that list appears with all kind of stuff you never configured...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 pm 
@tranzitwww , though qemuwrapper has some limitations, you can still use smbios type command in GNS3. You "don't" need to use smbios custom files. Solution is to NOT use any quotes in smbios type. e.g

Under Qemu Options :

-smbios type=1,product=IDS-4235,serial=12345789012,uuid=E0A32395-8DFE-D511-8C31-001FC641BA6B,sku=011,family=IDS-4235/4250

You won't see unsupported hardware error anymore & you can create virtual sensors as well.

Screenshots here:

http://www.brainbump.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ipsa.png
http://www.brainbump.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ipsb.png

Thanks.

Last edited by tariqccie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm 

In my attempting to make it work (IDS) I was using double quotes because some of the strings ex : {manufacturer=Cisco Systems} are containing space characters
and Qemu requires them in order to work properly...

Thanks for your time and workaround!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:12 pm 

Hi Jeremy

Any ETA for a fix to that "Ethernet Switch" <-> "Cloud Real_NIC" bug?
It is difficult to create a lab with "NIO eth" without...

Using a router with NM-16ESW doesn't solve the problem.
It is much strange than the emulate one, it creates CDP neighbor with it self on the interface connected to the cloud,
and all my loopbacks,vmware,wifi,tap,etc interfaces are disabled, except one single real NIC. So, where is the loop?

It seems that the traffic is working if the link is created between cloud and NM-1FE-TX (duplicated, but works), but not with NM-16ESW (and vlan interface)
Router is sending the traffic duplicated to the cloud in all cases (details with dynamips filter capture), but same data from live Wireshark in the real interface appears normal (O.o)

PS: Please remove that message "Capture stopped" !

Attachments:
Real_NIC.jpg
Real_NIC.jpg [ 174.57 KiB | Viewed 12401 times ]
R1_to_Real_NIC.jpg
R1_to_Real_NIC.jpg [ 233.13 KiB | Viewed 12392 times ]