It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to Ask for Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 am 

If you want someone to help you, try reading Jeremy Stretch's great advice before posting:

http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/feb/17/ ... lp-online/

Here's a brief summary (with some additions):

Don't

1. Don't be clingy
Quote:
Can someone help me configure EIGRP?

Understand that any support for which you have not paid is ad-hoc and best effort; in other words, there is no guarantee you will be helped. And if someone does help, there is no guarantee that he or she will continue to help until the problem has been solved to your satisfaction.

2. Don't claim urgency
Quote:
HELP!!!! VERY URGENT!!!1 TWITTER KEEPS TIMING OUT AND I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT I NEED TO TWEET!!!!11

Don't use all capitals either

3. Don't double-post
Once is enough - and don't ask "How Do I Do x" in the HOWTOs forum. That's where you write articles like this that tell you "How To"

4. Don't ask for things you know you shouldn't
...like a copy of IOS

5. Don't post images on other sites.
Upload your image directly to your post and place it inline. I'm not going to go downloading your image to view it, or visiting some hosting site.

6. Don't zip files unless you have to
If you are uploading a whole project, go ahead - zip the folder and upload it. But if it is just your topology.net configuration, or part of a router config, copy and paste it into a
Code:
code block
  like this

Do

1. First ask yourself how someone else would know the answer
Quote:
"How can I determine whether an 1841 supports MPLS?"

is much better than:
Quote:
Does an 1841 support MPLS?

You'll find people are far more willing to loan you a fishing rod than to catch you a fish.

2.Provide sufficient detail and context
The more you provide the better your chance of receiving a productive response will be. A picture tells a thousand words - (remember point 5 in the Don'ts)

3. Include your configurations where applicable
Remember to enclose configuration snippets in code blocks for easy readability. Attach really long configs as separate text files

4. Show your work
Tell us what you've tried and the outcome

5. Provide closure
If the problem is solved (even by you with no extra help) be sure to return to your initial query and record the solution. This helps others, gives a sense of closure for those who helped and gives you a place where you can find the answer should you come across the same problem in the future.

If you like this summary - I urge you to read Jeremy's article in full http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/feb/17/ ... lp-online/ which also has some interesting follow up discussion as well.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Last edited by rednectar on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added Don't points 5 & 6

Post subject: Re: How to Ask for Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:03 pm 

Hi,

This is very funny, but I'm totally agree with you + there has to be some additional technical things to be clarified...

When someone has a problem, search the forum/documentations, but seems to be a new one and has no luck, also after googling a little still has no clue how to fix that issue :(,
that person being a smart user, which in one day will become a big network engineer, or already is and is practicing, he/she will never just come here to say 3 words, like "Is not working!", but will provide some additional info like:
1) What operating system is using Windows/Linux/Mac? What version is it? Is it a 32(x86) or 64bit? What CPU and how much RAM is using?
2) What GNS3/Qemu/Dynamips (python,Qt,Sip - Linux) versions is using? Did he/she modify or apply any patches and recompile any of them?
3) What image files, versions for IOS/PIX/ASA/JunOS/IDS are used and how does he/she intend to use them further? (to exclude cases like c2801-spservicesk9-mz.bin inside a 2600 chassis, see http://gns3.net/hardware-emulated)
4) How does this person configure the node/device with the problem (What values for image/nics models/ram/additional options is using)?
5) He/She will kindly describe the problem from the beginning. Will post logs, debugs, screenshots, configs (.net files) and all additional informations, even is he/she thinks that some of them are not so important to be provided, but maybe those can be the key to solve the problem!

If all of those steps will be followed, by any new user coming to this forum, life will be too easy :))

Post subject: Re: How to Ask for Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 am 

One day later....

Attachments:
Fail.jpg
Fail.jpg [ 197.59 KiB | Viewed 7608 times ]