It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Patches for Qemu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Benjamin,

Do you know when the Qemu team will release a version including your udp patch?

Qemu 1.0.1 released on 17th of Feb has not the udp backend yet.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:13 pm 

Oddly my commit was integrated in January: http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commi ... d09f316c8b.

I looked more and apparently when they tag a revision, they don't tag on the head of the repository. The last commit before the 1.0.1 tag was on 2012-01-10. Basically this makes sense, they freeze their tree, continue to commit new features but it won't go into the release. Only fixes may make it, and they created a stable branch for the 1.0 for it. My commit was integrated a few days after the freeze. Dang...

Which is not bad, we do the opposite, we freeze the default branch and create feature branches while waiting for the release. Which may not be the best solution. But we'll see later, we're not big enough to care about this details I guess ;).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

I couldn't tell from the posts or the commit page links, but were the patches to resolve the issue of console window failing when trying to run an ASA or something else? Even though qemuwrapper.exe shows a successful start of the device, TCP/3000 is never listening. I've scoured the web and hit almost all Google results I can find relating to this problem. It seems to be primarily affecting Win7 64-bit systems.

benjamin wrote:
Oddly my commit was integrated in January: http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commi ... d09f316c8b.

I looked more and apparently when they tag a revision, they don't tag on the head of the repository. The last commit before the 1.0.1 tag was on 2012-01-10. Basically this makes sense, they freeze their tree, continue to commit new features but it won't go into the release. Only fixes may make it, and they created a stable branch for the 1.0 for it. My commit was integrated a few days after the freeze. Dang...

Which is not bad, we do the opposite, we freeze the default branch and create feature branches while waiting for the release. Which may not be the best solution. But we'll see later, we're not big enough to care about this details I guess ;).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 am 

Patches only affect networking between VMs, they make Qemu support UDP tunnels as a network backend.

I'm quite busy, I hope others can help you reproduce and confirm a problem that WE can fix, you might want ask assistance in the General Issues section of the forum if you don't get enough attention here. This is not the right thread anyways ;).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:42 pm 

benjamin wrote:
Dnard wrote:
I've tried it on three different new setups and each time if I didn't attached the cable first and then start up it wouldn't work.
Attaching the cable first is important. Did you expect to be able to add the cable after the nodes have been started?
This will work for the next next release (0.8.3) though, however adding a NIC will always require a reboot (automatic).

Guys how about what we talk 2 years ago ;)) back in "Patch for Qemu 0.13.0"
We can use the monitor area (Qemu build-in) for the hot link add/remove! + many others things...
Code:
-monitor telnet:127.0.0.1:9991,server,nowait

Also described here, probably the patch must be updated and improved + Update for Qemuwrapper
post8887.html#p8887

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 am 

Using Qemu monitor will require a major rewrite of GNS3 code-base.

Are you volunteering for the task ? (@[email protected])

(Hint: I don't care, because I use VirtualBox. After all: Open-Source is about scratching own itch. )

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:05 pm 

Technologov wrote:
(@[email protected]) - I don't care, because I use VirtualBox.

I see that this is irritating you, but remember that VirtualBox doesn't means everything!
Are you able to emulate ASA/PIX/IDS with VirtualBox? (Probably NOT)

So, if there is o option that is waiting to be exploited, which can highly improve GNS3, then all that is required are time and skills to achieve it...
I'll be more than excited to help, but my programing skills and not my strong allied in this fight :(

PS: I don't force anybody to do it (for me), if this is considered a waste of time and resources!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

FYI, Qemu monitor is on our TODO list. http://redmine.gns3.net/issues/4

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Hi,
FYI, Qemu monitor is on our TODO list. http://redmine.gns3.net/issues/4
Cheers,
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:40 am 

Actually it's done, I commited it a month ago or so, but we didn't release yet, we're waiting for someone to build the latest qemu on windows so we can include it and test properly.

There will be an alpha as soon as this is done, we'll have several other features as well as some GUI changes. It's mostly depending on some volunteer not slacking off :), so I can't tell precisely when it'll be done. Hopefully before August, I really don't want to support problems in the old qemu or deliver an unstable version.

FYI, we have this in the pipeline:
- Broker server for dynamips: avoid distributing IOS and provide a reliable way for universities and schools to provide IOS functionnality to their student and make the configuration *way* easier.
- GUI improvement
- Simpler project/topology managment
- Study labs
- PDF export (a kick ass one, for deployment purposes)
- Other Qemu backend to reach out to the real world
- Handling bugs, unit tests, ...

We'll set up a Twitter account soon, stay tuned.

PS: If you test the dev version, in the console you can access qemu monitor mode like this:

> qmonitor QEMU1 help
> qmonitor QEMU1 info network

Some stuff aren't working as well as I'd like to, the problem is on qemu's side though, some bugs or stuff in progress, it's a huge work and they're doing great, if you want to help contribute to qemu I can explain what needs to be done to make GNS3 better. Especially, packet dump (-net dump) and hotlink.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next