It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ***HELP NEEDED INTEGRATING REAL SWITCHES WITH GNS3***
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hello all...

First of all, please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered in this forum numerous times. I have searched, but I still haven't found a solution that I got to work with my setup...

I have just begun my R&S CCIE preparation and I am stuck at trying to integrate hysical switches with GNS3. I am using INE's VOL.1 Advanced R&S Workbook and need to get this setup to work in order to complete the QOS and the Switching & Bridging section.

I know that there are mutliple ways to do it, but I am trying to figure out how to make it work with just the Ethernet (en0) nic on my Mac and the 5 3550s (1 used for the Breakout Switch and the other 4 as network devices). I have done some leg work trying to retrieve information, but I still haven't been able to find any detailed instructions on how to make this work....

If anyone has setup physical switches with GNS3 (especially to use with INE's Workbooks), *PLEASE* share your steps on how you made it work.

Thanks in advance!

-AD

Post subject: Re: ***HELP NEEDED INTEGRATING REAL SWITCHES WITH GNS3***
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:29 am 

Make sure the physical switch port you connect your Mac is a trunk port. (dot1q)

Now configure a zillion vlans on your Mac - you'll be able to put a cloud on every vlan, and connect the cloud to a router port - or a "generic" switch port if you want to aggregate 3 or 4 vlans into a single 1q trunk in your sim.

Ask if you need helo to configure vlans on your Mac.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm 

Thank for your assistance Red.

I did some research and this is the syntax that I found on how to configure vlans on the mac:

ip link add link eth1 name eth1.10 type vlan id 10 (with 10 being the vlan numer). Is this the correct syntax to use?

Again, thanks for your assistance.

-AD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 am 

Dreamer

I have been adding VLANs using the gui - although it is pretty painful. If the cli works you might want to stick with it!

The gui goes like this:

From System Preferences->Network:
Click the Gerar icon next to + -
Choose Manage Virtual Interfaces
Click +
Choose New VLAN

The problem with this method is that although you create a new VLAN called VLAN 10 for your chosen interface, and you allocate it a vlan tag of 10, you don't get to say what bsd identifier to use, so the first vlan you create like this shows up as vlan0, then vlan1, then vlan2 etc (like en0, en1...). When you have 50 vlans configured, doing an ifconfig to see the IP address of YOUR interface called VLAN10 is pretty tricky, unless you know VLAN10 is really bsd interface vlan34

Good luck.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 am 

Agian, thanks Red fo ryour reply.

I will try it via CLI first to see if I can get it to work. If not, then I will try the GUI.

I will let you know what happens.

-AD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:10 am 

Red,

Thanks for the info... I still haevn't been able to get it work yet, but I am almost there. I just need to make sure that I have the right configs on my breakswitch and the actual switches connecting to the switch and I should be good to good (I hope). I think that I have the Breakout switch configured correctly, but not the physical switch connected to it...

Thanks for the info you provided about the vlans. That really helped me out a lot. I ended up just using the GUI like you suggested. I saw what you mentioned about regardless of the vlan number you configured, the bsd started at 0... To not let confuse me with my numbering convention, I made vlan 100 a dummy vlan, so that way it vlan 100 started with BSD 0 and when I configured 101 (the vlan I wanted to actually start with), it started with bsd 1 and vlan 102 was bsd 2 and vlan 103 was bsd 3 and so on....

Question, as far as the vlans configurations are concerned, should I set the IP source for the vlans to none? (the mac gives you the options of DHCP, DHCP with manual, manual or none) Right now, if I view them in my network options, they are all getting a 169 ip address form DHCP... It's my understanding that these vlans shouldn't be assigned an IP address right?

Also, I get a message saying that my ethernet cable is connected, but shows disconnected because I don't have an ip address on the nic. Is that right?

Thanks again for your help!

PS
Are you studying for your CCIE?