It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Failed to start Dynamips
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 am 
I followed the installation instructions for Windows XP. Under Preferences->Dynamips, I clicked the ellipsis by executable and there is no bin file in the installation directory. I only see dynamips-wxp.exe so I point it there by when I test, I get "Failed to start Dynamips"

Post subject: Re: Failed to start Dynamips
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 pm 
I went to the working directory and ran dynamips-start.cmd This launched a DOS window that starting the Dynamips server and everything went well from there on. I did close out the window and tested connectivity to the DB, no problems. I suspect that after a reboot you will have to restart the server since it is not running as a service.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm 
In Windows XP, Go to the control panel > windows firewall > exceptions > add program. Add GNS3.exe and Dynamips-wxp.exe. Then go to add port and add UDP Port number 7200. Then OK and Reboot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 pm 
I know this is old, but just got the same problem and since nothing from the posts above mine solved it - here is my solution: check your working directory in GNS preferences -> dynamips subcategory. The directory must be already created by you, since dynamips service is CLI based and cannot create directories alone.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:20 am 
gns3: failed to start dynamips - Solved

This is how I solved it.

Added the GNS3 and Dynampis Executables to Windows Firewalls exceptions. Added port UDP 7200 to Firewall Exception. Restarted the Firewall/ICS service from Services.msc.

>Change the preferences path under Dynamips from default to something like “C:\DynampsTemp” (Make sure you create the folder yourself. I think it doesn’t like the Space in this path)

>Then, click the Test Button under Edit > Preferences > Dynamips and see “Dynamips sucessfully started”

Wasted a lot of time fixing this, hope someone sees this later by arriving here through Google and also realise the value of sharing and learning.

God bless.

Take Care,
Zoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:47 pm 
WOW. Changed the working directory and couldn't start the Dynamips.
It`s happen after working with GNS for more than a year ))

Remember to configure the paths correctly !!!

Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm 
looks like adding program exception and the port required Admin Privilege.
I didn't got my winpcap installed due to this issue as well.

any available workaround?
if i can get the program exception added into the firewall (somehow), will dynamips still run without winpcap?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 am 
Hi,

Im a novice as well with GNS3. Ive also been getting the same message every time I drag a router like c2600 in, saying "Hypervisor.. Please test the path to Dynamips in preferences ". What should I do to get it started? Do I need to config something inside my PC?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm 

Thanks sunzoom, the configuration set worked perfect, all i have to do is to download ios image for gns3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm 

Problem:
When trying to drag over a router to create my topology, I was getting the cant connect to hypervisor situation and when I clicked the "test settings" button for dynamips it would come back with "failed to start dynamips" error. All I did was to change the "working directory for dynamips" to c:\dynamips
The default location was going to "c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\"
I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 with 4GB ram.

This did the trick for me.. thanks to others in this forum and google for leading me into this forum. :-)