It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [SOLVED] GNS3 really really slow, probably QT-related
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 pm 

My GNS3, which has been running smoothly for a long time, suddenly is very slow. I have tried upgrading to the latest version, but to no avail.

When I import a (large) topology, it takes minutes to complete, almost completely freezing my machine. This used to be done in a few seconds.

During or after the import several "TypeError: expected 1 arguments, got 0" are displayed on the screen.

I have gone through the sourcecode inserting "debug(...)" messages here and there to figure out where these errors are coming from. I have traced several of them back to QT calls such as:

globals.GApp.mainWindow.treeWidget_TopologySummary.refresh()
self.setTextCursor(cursor)
cursor.insertText(unicode(text))
cursor.setPosition(pos1, QTextCursor.KeepAnchor)

I have commented out several of these calls and now no longer have these errors or the slowness. Of course it also stopped working, I guess those calls aren't there for nothing ;-), but I think it proves my theory it is something QT related. Unfortunately, my Python- and QT-skills are not so developped so I am stuck here, I don't know how to further trace this issue.

I hope I have given enough information to get someone who is fluent in Python and/or QT to figure out what is going on.

Versions:
GNS3 0.7.4, but I also had this problem in a previous version, I think 0.7.2
Dynamips 0.8.2-RC2 (tried RC3 as well, but had some other issues as well)
Python 2.7.1
QT 4.7.2
Sip 4.12
PyQT 4.8.4

All running on Gentoo Linux (amd64)

Of course I'd be happy to do any other test if that's needed to fix this...

Best regards,
Jeroen

Last edited by jeroenr on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GNS3 really really slow, probably QT-related
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 pm 

Is there really no-one who can give me a few hints on where to continue troubleshooting?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 pm 

Hi jeroenr,

If you can provide a way to reproduce this on a clean install of GNS3, a developer might look into it. If it used to work well before, do you have any idea what could have changed ? Did you upgrade something (hardware/software) ?

The best way to troubleshoot your problem is too rollback to the previous state where everything worked and figure out what exactly introduced this weird behavior. Try reinstalling the dependencies of GNS3 if you're on Linux (Qt4, PyQt4, patched Qemu, Dynamips-community).

Let's hope someone can help you figure out the root of the problem so that a developer fixes it for the next release.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm 

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. I suppose one of the Python or Qt libraries was updated with a faulty version and was updated again in a later version.