It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to use GNS3 with VMs on Mac OS X Lion 10.7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 pm 

Hi all,
I need GNS3 for my training and need it to work with several VM hosts that are connected to the virtual network I made in GNS3. What seems to be easy at first sight took me a few weeks to figure it all out.

I did not find much on how to run GNS3 with VMs on Lion so I started to make notes and turned those notes into a document and a few scripts on how to:
- get GNS3 running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion,
- Connect VM hosts to my virtual network created in GNS3,
- use Wireshark to sniff on this network,
and optionally:
- connect this whole virtual network to my real network (so the VM hosts could have access to for example the internet).

I know at school a few students are desperate on how to get GNS3 going on Lion, so I guess more people on this globe might be looking for it too.

To also help others, I put my document at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9671505/GNSonMa ... X-Lion.pdf

I use Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac with GNS3, but I also tested it with VirtualBox. It should normally also work for VMware Fusion.

For me this document is still a draft, but I already gave it to a few students at my school and they are since then up and running. I guess at the end of this academic year, the draft version will become final.

Updates
Update Dec 2012: IOS images
GNS3 and DynaMIPS as described in my document only support Cisco IOS images for the MIPS processor platform. It seems that newer Cisco hardware is using another platform than MIPS. Please be aware those images won't work with DynaMIPS and thus GNS3. (It results in all kind of funny things as forum member Catsix experienced. Read his comment somewhere on this page.)

Update Dec 2012: My Script Files
For those who have difficulties downloading the script files mentioned in my document, I attached them here.
Attachment:
File comment: 1, 2 and 3 bash shell scripts to launch GNS3 (1.sh), Bring your tap interfaces up (2.sh) and connect your virtual network to your real network (3.sh).
GNS3onMacOSXLionScripts.zip [4.75 KiB]
Downloaded 714 times
Attachment:
File comment: Comfort batch files for your Virtual Windows hosts.
MyBatchFiles.zip [1.17 KiB]
Downloaded 442 times

Enjoy!

Johan Havermans

Last edited by JohanHavermans on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to use GNS3 with VMs on Mac OS X Lion 10.7
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 pm 

Johan,

Great document. But I don't seem to get the terminal working.
I see some people encounter the same problem but I do not find the solution for it. (http://etherealmind.com/install-gns3-on ... x-leopard/)
The ternminal is not responding to any input, but it seems connected to the Dynamips engine.

using the default command in preferences: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "terminal" to do script with command "telnet %h %p ; exit"'

Last login: Tue Nov 29 20:44:51 on ttys001
icat:~ gerrit$ telnet 127.0.0.1 2000 ; exit
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connected to Dynamips VM "R1" (ID 4, type c2600) - Console port
Press ENTER to get the prompt.

When I telnet to port 7200 and hit enter I get this: 200-At least a module and a command must be specified

Hope you got some tips or solution for it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 pm 

Catsix,
that is indeed weird.
Don't follow the website you mentioned in your post since that one is old and assumes dynamips isn't part of gns3

a few i think of here
1) are you using /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin as executable path in gns3 preferences/dynamips?

2) disable your firewall and start gns3 again, load your virtual network and hit the green start button. Still the same?

3) launch activity monitor.app
do must see the dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin process running as ROOT.
if not, then you did not use my 1.sh script to launch gns3 as mentioned in my document.

Let me know what your milage is here.
Johan

Last edited by JohanHavermans on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm 

JohanHavermans wrote:
1) are you using /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin as executable path in gns3 preferences/dynamips?

2) disable your firewall and start gns3 again, load your virtual network and hit the green start button. Still the same?

3) launch activity monitor.app
do must see the dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin process running as ROOT.
if not, then you did not use my 1.sh script to launch gns3 as mentioned in my document.

Thank you for the fast reply!

1. That is the path I am using.

2. The firewall is disabled on my system

3. $ ps aux | grep dyn
root 954 0.1 0.1 2466540 5180 s000 S 8:05PM 0:00.29 /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin -H 7200

I will try a reinstall ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 pm 

Apparently the image I was using (c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T5.bin) did not run correctly or maybe the file is corrupt.
Thank you Johan for helping me out remotely and with a working image.
He also pointed out the image may not be running on MIPS emulator as newer hardware have Intel cores.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 pm 

Did you increase memory to 128 MB? The ios you mention needs at least that amount.

Erland.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm 

It is set to 128MB by default so it should be.