It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gimme the green icons back. Pretty please.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am 

Late call for a small change to the new start, stop and pause icons.

I hadn't realised until today how often I refer to the "GREEN" start icon - in soooo many written documents and in everyday speech.

I was taking a class through an MPLS simulation today, and told them all to click the GREEN start icon, then realised that the new Start icon is not Green. In fact, it is quite hard to describe without its colour attribute.

I know that 0.8.2 is about to be released, and I'm sure whoever designed the new icons thinks they look beautiful - but PLEASE - can we get some colour back into the Start, Stop and Pause Icons????

Just think of the hundreds of documents around the place that refer to the icons by their colours!! A google search for gns3 green icon gives over 100K results - we need to think how much these documents help us in the long run.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Post subject: Re: Gimme the green icons back. Pretty please.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm 

Quote:
I know that 0.8.2 is about to be released, and I'm sure whoever designed the new icons thinks they look beautiful - but PLEASE - can we get some colour back into the Start, Stop and Pause Icons????

Ow, you should talk to Claire about that, she's taking care of all the GUI changes. I know there has been some regression on the icons, I don't remember the state on the default branch though.

http://redmine.gns3.net/issues/18#change-267
I updated Claire's task to ask her to change the icons back.

Quote:
Just think of the hundreds of documents around the place that refer to the icons by their colours!! A google search for gns3 green icon gives over 100K results - we need to think how much these documents help us in the long run.

Very interesting. We should take this into account in the future too. As a side note, the google query returns few results for "green icon", the quote matters, it goes down to "About 96 results" and few are relevant.

Overall I think we can restore the old icons for now and new icons will be accessible through the themes in the 0.8.3 release. Changing the default theme might happen later, but for a major release.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 am 

The new icons are sexy. But even if there was a touch of colour to distinguish the green "Go" icon, the red "Stop" icon and the yellow "pause" icon would be sufficient I think.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 am 

Done in revision 1072.

I guess what Claire tried to make is to make the GUI feel more interactive. When the mouse pointer was over the icons, they would change immediately to display the colors and feel 'activated', but at some point it's harder to spot them. Now there's still a hover action, but we switched the icons.