It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: using solarwinds on gns3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:00 am 

Dear all,
I should test network monitoring tools and since I have no access to real devices I should use gns.
Would you please explain how I can use monitoring tools such as solarwinds or netflow on gns3?
Do I have to run them on VMWARE or Win 7 is OK?
Thanks a million in advance,
Kindest regards,
Faramarz

Post subject: Re: using solarwinds on gns3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am 

You can build a fairly sophisticated network with GNS3 if you have the CPU resources. To add monitoring tools, you have a couple of options:
1. Run your monitoring software in a Virtual Machine (VMWare or Virtual Box - you'll get more support here probably for Virtual Box). Run the VM on the same box as you run GNS3. Use a cloud connection to connect your topology to your virtual interface of your virtual machine
2. Run your monitoring tools on another PC. Use a cloud connection to connect your topology to your physical adapter that connects to your monitoring PC
3. Run your monitoring tools on your GNS3 host. Again, Use a cloud connection to connect your topology to your physical adapter that connects to your monitoring PC - but I've found that sometimes this doesn't work (most of my experience here is based on OSX rather than a Linux or Windows physical PC)
4. Run both your monitoring software and GNS3 in two separate VMs (as in 1.) Use a cloud connection as above, but getting the two VMs to talk to each other requires you understand how virtual interfaces on VMs work. Read my blogposts [1][2][3] on this. If you go for this option, you may wish to start with a VM that has GNS3 already installed [unashamed plug] like mine.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Post subject: Re: using solarwinds on gns3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 pm 

Hi. Thank you very much. I have only one sony viao so is there any way to use only one laptop and for instance a usb ubuntu server and vmware server to use gns3 and solarwinds for instance?
I really appreciate your help.
Best regards,
Faramarz