It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 am


All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:19 am
Posts: 192
Location: Australia
Jeremy,

Where do we submit cosmetic changes and enhancement that GNS3 might need to?



_________________
ImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Canada
Hi Khaled,

You can post that in the development section.

Thanks,

_________________
Jeremy, GNS3 Programmer & Benevolent Dictator for Life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 411
Location: [email protected]
Hi,

Well, I've got something, but not bugs (I'll test GNS3 later)

Stuff related to 0.8.2.1:

* Still uses the old "securecrt.vbs" script for SecureCRT !

* Is it necessary to keep 2 versions of "cygwin1.dll" one in GNS3 directory and one in vpcs?
I've tested it and works the same with the one from GNS3 directory
Also check the file "filelist.txt" and remove all but windows related stuff (delete: vpcs32,vpcs64,vpcs.osx,cygwin1.dll) to save 3.7MB
I ask you this because right now the GNS3 all-in-one package is 46.4MB ;))

* Another duplicate file situation (same MD5): msvcm90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcr90.dll (from GNS3, GNS3\imageformats, GNS3\iconengines)

* I've updated all cmd/batch scripts ;))

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Canada
Hi,

Excellent :)

Quote:
Still uses the old "securecrt.vbs" script for SecureCRT !


I simply forgot to add it to the all-in-one package ... ;)

Quote:
Is it necessary to keep 2 versions of "cygwin1.dll" one in GNS3 directory and one in vpcs?


You are perfectly right, one DLL is enough and both dynamips and vpcs work with the same.

Quote:
Also check the file "filelist.txt" and remove all but windows related stuff (delete: vpcs32,vpcs64,vpcs.osx,cygwin1.dll) to save 3.7MB
I ask you this because right now the GNS3 all-in-one package is 46.4MB ;))


I will do that, even if we only save a few MB ;) Be green!

Quote:
Another duplicate file situation (same MD5): msvcm90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcr90.dll (from GNS3, GNS3\imageformats, GNS3\iconengines)


This one is on purpose cause I could not have the compiled version of GNS3 work otherwise ... Don't worry the dlls are packaged only once in the installer.

Quote:
I've updated all cmd/batch scripts ;))


Good, I'll use them.

Thanks,

_________________
Jeremy, GNS3 Programmer & Benevolent Dictator for Life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 411
Location: [email protected]
grossmj wrote:
I will do that, even if we only save a few MB ;) Be green!


Hi,

About green stuff, WinPcap is also included in Wireshark... (and required by Dynamips)
But, users may say: "I want GNS3, but not Wireshark...", so if no WinPcap = troubles :))

PS: I've uploaded again the cmd scripts, because I've changed a line inside one of them :D


Attachments:
Scripts-Update.zip [4.37 KiB]
Downloaded 128 times
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:17 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Canada
Good job for the scripts :)

Quote:
About green stuff, WinPcap is also included in Wireshark... (and required by Dynamips)
But, users may say: "I want GNS3, but not Wireshark...", so if no WinPcap = troubles :))


I know about that and as you said what if users don't want Wireshark ;) This would be a shame, Wireshark should be installed on everyone who is serious about networks!

Thanks,

_________________
Jeremy, GNS3 Programmer & Benevolent Dictator for Life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 411
Location: [email protected]
I've just come to say hi ;))

Issues in GNS3 0.8.2.1(2) :
* The "Check for update" feature must be tuned a little bit.
This test version 0.8.2.1 is the last available and it reports that a new one is on the site...
I think that the function is just comparing 2 strings and if are different in any kind ask to update.

* Please check the "vpcs-start.cmd" script! I've let some comments just for you and shouldn't be in the official release ;))
REM I'm not sure why you change its working dir (probably security stuff, UAC), because this tool also have a initial config file (startup.vpc) and a history file (vpcs.hist) located in its directory
CD /D "%~dp0\vpcs"
REM If still used add "/D" because some users may not have GNS3 installed in "C:" drive.
REM CD /D %TEMP%

* Please don't select by default "Launch this command using system default shell" this is useful only for telnet.
Which by the way can be started with another command "CMD /C telnet %h %p & PAUSE" or just "telnet %h %p"
If is used, then for each putty process for example will open and keep in memory one cmd.exe, until putty is closed!
This because GNS3 is opening the program "cmd /c program args" and not "cmd /c start "" program args"

* Why do you still use Putty 64bit/32bit options for terminal settings? GNS3 already has one installed by default + patch update
Anyway users can put any program there with any path and args.

* In "IOS images and hypervisors\external hypervisors" the "Base AUX port" is "0" and remain unchanged after saving one hypervisor

* Fix the "Recent Files", because right now is showing only the "*.net" files opened by GNS3 and should also show all projects/topologies saved by a user

* Well there is a tail on my screen! ;)) Can you hide its window?
The tail process is creating a window (not minimized) and users may accidentally close it, and is not cool anyway ;))

* When I say "Save project as.." it did not save the routers configs (export them...) in the same time so I have to press also (Save/CTRL+S)

* Capture is on when a router has no links attached to it! (but has no options, and if you hit ok this happens)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GNS3\Scene.pyo", line 643, in slotCapture
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startCapture'

* There are some weird things going on with the "snapshots" (Honestly, I never use it! But has to be tested) ;))
- The button Delete form "snapshots" is not working!
- You can create multiple "snapshots", but after loading one of them and access it again, that list is empty, all are gone! (just the list, not on HDD)
Probably because is cascading the path with each new snapshots created "X:\...\Projects\GNS3_Test\topology_Test1_snapshot_130512_143538\topology_Test2_snapshot_130512_143745"

* "Delay between each device start when starting all devices" is "0" by default. Is it Ok? I always use "1".

Good to have, but works anyway - not to be ignored ;):
* "Add a note", I'm not sure if this is not a duplicate report, but setting the border and ALT+LEFT,RIGHT has no effect...

* Can you add a "don't ask again! (never ever)" option for the pop-up message "layer position" on rectangle and ellipse :D


New features for GNS3 0.8.3:
* When you have some routers on the topology and start putting wires between them, would be nice to have the option to press "ESC"
to finish with "Add a link" mode without clicking on that button.

* Allow the user to "drag and drop" a topology file inside GNS3 window.
Right now is enabled, but has no effect...
I asked this because I use this way to open GNS3 X:\..\GNS3\gns3.exe --configdir "X:\..\GNS3-global-files"
and if I double-click/enter on a ".net" file, will open a new GNS3 process using the config form "%APPDATA%" folder.

* Allow the user to switch a router from a Hypervisor to another or to a new one (of course the router will be stopped/restarted)...
I ask this because sometimes when you configure a router completely different from the rest (all part of the same dynamips process) the CPU raise
So, to solve this I have to manually edit the .net file and create some new hypervisors and assign the routers depending on my needs

* Add some more items inside drawing/annotate tool-bar, like arrow and line (anyway it can be done by inserting a picture)

* Add BES – Battle Encoder Shirase 1.4.5 functionalities inside GNS3 (the source code is available! C/C++)
So users may be able to control how much CPU to allocate for a dynamips/qemu/pemu process.
http://mion.faireal.net/BES/#download

* The "Node configurator dialog" window for one device always show the group containing that devices: Routers cXXXX, Ethernet Switches, Clouds, etc
but inside has only one device, the one user selected "Configure" option.
I have 2 proposals for this:
1 - Show/(allow to configure) all devices from that group ex: Routers cXXXX and also select the one user choose the "Configure" option from that group (This was working in a old release if I remember right)
2 - Remove the group thing and just show that device configuration and select the general tab from that node
Also here in general tab allow all general stuff to be configured: hostname, symbol, console port, aux port, (idle-pc, start-up config - for dynamips), etc...

* In "terminal settings" -> "terminal command" should have a new option that can be used by users like %h="ip" %p="tcp port" %n="hostname"
called ex: %x="Dynamips - Console port" or "Dynamips - AUX port" or "Qemu - Console port" or "Pemu - Console port"... (depending on what type is the device)
This would be nice, to create a decent title for putty/telnet/teraterm/etc..

* Add a global option in GNS3 for 'debug' command values 0,1,2,3 so it can be configured once and that it!

* Add a new "Tool-bar" in GNS3 in which users can add shortcuts to custom scripts/programs... (Already added to TODO list)

* Baseconfig for the EtherSwitch router (see the attachment)
Attachment:
File comment: Router with a SW module inside (NM-16ESW)
baseconfig_sw.txt [2.45 KiB]
Downloaded 128 times


Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Canada
Hi,

Quote:
Please check the "vpcs-start.cmd" script! I've let some comments just for you and shouldn't be in the official release ;))
REM I'm not sure why you change its working dir (probably security stuff, UAC), because this tool also have a initial config file (startup.vpc) and a history file (vpcs.hist) located in its directory
CD /D "%~dp0\vpcs"
REM If still used add "/D" because some users may not have GNS3 installed in "C:" drive.
REM CD /D %TEMP%


I didn't know what to do for this one so I deleted the 2 lines. I don't think there is any need to start VPCS as an administrator.

Quote:
Please don't select by default "Launch this command using system default shell" this is useful only for telnet.
Which by the way can be started with another command "CMD /C telnet %h %p & PAUSE" or just "telnet %h %p"
If is used, then for each putty process for example will open and keep in memory one cmd.exe, until putty is closed!
This because GNS3 is opening the program "cmd /c program args" and not "cmd /c start "" program args"


This part is from the old days of GNS3, when is was ugly ;) I changed as you suggested.

Quote:
Why do you still use Putty 64bit/32bit options for terminal settings? GNS3 already has one installed by default + patch update
Anyway users can put any program there with any path and args


I agree with this one too. I cannot think of a reason why a user would want another Putty than ours. This part was from the old days too, before we integrate Putty in our packages.

Quote:
In "IOS images and hypervisors\external hypervisors" the "Base AUX port" is "0" and remain unchanged after saving one hypervisor


Fixed.

Quote:
Fix the "Recent Files", because right now is showing only the "*.net" files opened by GNS3 and should also show all projects/topologies saved by a user


This is done and I put the most recent file first in the menu.

Quote:
Well there is a tail on my screen! ;)) Can you hide its window?
The tail process is creating a window (not minimized) and users may accidentally close it, and is not cool anyway ;))


It was supposed to be hidden, then I added this test ... you know the rest of the story ;)

Quote:
Capture is on when a router has no links attached to it! (but has no options, and if you hit ok this happens)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GNS3\Scene.pyo", line 643, in slotCapture
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startCapture'


Ok this one I have been too stupid not to test it ... shame on me ;)

Quote:
* There are some weird things going on with the "snapshots" (Honestly, I never use it! But has to be tested) ;))
- The button Delete form "snapshots" is not working!
- You can create multiple "snapshots", but after loading one of them and access it again, that list is empty, all are gone! (just the list, not on HDD)
Probably because is cascading the path with each new snapshots created "X:\...\Projects\GNS3_Test\topology_Test1_snapshot_130512_143538\topology_Test2_snapshot_130512_143745"


I do not use the snapshot myself. If you ask me this would need a complete re-thinking ... Anyway it was because we could open many snapshot windows, creating a mess.

Quote:
"Delay between each device start when starting all devices" is "0" by default. Is it Ok? I always use "1".


Done, this should be ok as long someone doesn't start 100 routers.

Quote:
* "Add a note", I'm not sure if this is not a duplicate report, but setting the border and ALT+LEFT,RIGHT has no effect...


Well, it was hard to find some keys not conflicting with the other ones used in GNS3. I wasn't very inspired to I picked up ALT + P (for plus) and ALT + M (for minus). Please tell me if you have a better idea.

Quote:
Can you add a "don't ask again! (never ever)" option for the pop-up message "layer position" on rectangle and ellipse :D


Well this is not gonna be never ever but only once during the same GNS3 execution. I have to study the way to do never ever ;)

Quote:
New features for GNS3 0.8.3


Well, this will have to be added to the redmine. Any volunteer? :D

Quote:
Allow the user to "drag and drop" a topology file inside GNS3 window.


Exceptionally done just for you :)

Thanks for this very detailed report and your great contribution. Next release is gonna rock!

_________________
Jeremy, GNS3 Programmer & Benevolent Dictator for Life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 411
Location: [email protected]
Hi,

grossmj wrote:
Quote:
Allow the user to "drag and drop" a topology file inside GNS3 window.
Exceptionally done just for you :)
Thanks for this very detailed report and your great contribution. Next release is gonna rock!

Thanks a lot for all you done!
But I still got some more ;))

Please don't be angry on me, but I'll post all related to this version (duplicated or not)
File=GNS3-0.8.2(1)-test-all-in-one.exe
MD5=6c7e2f4ceaa5a3aa2de4058cce4dc492

* There is a problem for users that had a old version of GNS3 where Dynamips was "dynamips-wxp.exe" and now decided to update to this GNS3 version
Just modify that field to "hypervisor_path=dynamips.exe" if it is "hypervisor_path=dynamips-wxp.exe" inside the config "gns3.ini" file, only if is exactly that value (clearing user config should not be considered)

* Last update to vpcs.bat :))
Code:
@ECHO OFF&SETLOCAL

TITLE Virtual PC Simulator for Dynamips/GNS3

REM Temporary add GNS3 folder in system PATH, so "vpcs.exe" will load "cygwin1.dll" from that folder prior to any other location
SET PATH=%~dp0;%PATH%

REM Change the working dir to VPCS folder... (Here it has its config and history file)
CD /D "%~dp0\vpcs"

REM Launch a local copy of vpcs...
vpcs.exe
PAUSE


* "Add a note" Suggestion (By the way works great, thanks!!!)
Can you change ALT + "M", "P" with ALT + "+", "-" (numpad included)

* In "IOS images and hypervisors\external hypervisors" the "Base AUX port" starts from "0" TCP port, the incrementation works fain...

* Fix the "Recent Files" - I remember you said something that it is the first in the file menu, well mine is the third one (I'll hate myself if this is not the last test version)
At my work computer is doing what is designed and more, but at home is a mystery to my self!
Also there is a problem when a topology/project is deleted, it alerts the user that is not a valid file and that it. (That entry should be deleted by gns3...)
- Open by "drag and drop" = Pass :)) Thanks for this!!!
- Open project or topology file = Pass
- Save project or topology file = Pass
- Save topology file as = Pass
- New blank project = Fail! (saved again have no effect)
- Save project as = Fail!

* The "snapshots" is creating everything ok, you can load any version from the list, but after that the list is empty, and the delete option is not working at all.
The path are still combining...
Ex:
- you create the project/topology called "Test", do something, save it
- create a snapshots called "version1", do whatever you do, save it
- create the second snapshots called "version2", etc.., save it
- create the third snapshots called "version3", etc.., save it (all 3 snapshots are in the list)
- delete snapshots "version1" - Fail!
- load snapshots "version1" - Ok (it will change the directory to "topology_version1_snapshot_140512_190148" and open "topology.net" from there)
- check the snapshots list - Fail (aaaaa, the list is empty, because there is no directory called topology_LABEL_snapshot_DATE_TIME)
- from this loaded snapshots "version1" do some staff, save it, create a new snapshots called "versionX" :))
- check the snapshots list - Pass (versionX is there) , versionX
- directory path to versionX "topology.net" = X:\...\Projects\Test\topology_version1_snapshot_140512_190148\topology_versionX_snapshot_140512_190224\topology.net

So, I have a idea put all topology.net files in the same folder and name them like topology_versionX_snapshot_140512_190224.net, topology_version1_snapshot_140512_190148.net
"dir Test"
topology.net - file for the normal project
topology_version1.net - the first snapshot
topology_version2.net - the second snapshot
topology_version3.net - the third snapshot
topology_version4.net - the X snapshot ;)
configs - folder the normal project
working - folder the normal project
topology_version1_snapshot_140512_123424 - directory for the first snapshot
topology_version2_snapshot_140344_103424 - directory for the second snapshot
topology_version3_snapshot_142523_191524 - directory for the third snapshot
topology_version4_snapshot_143412_144624 - directory for the X snapshot

Cheers!


---Edit---
* For rectangle and ellipse the hint said A+M,P, but it is using Alt+left,right (Alt + "+", "-" my suggestion)

* I'm a little bit crazy, doing this, but I've found the bug ;))
Deleting all GNS3 SW (Ethernet switch) ports result in this...
------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GNS3\Ui\ConfigurationPages\Page_ETHSW.pyo", line 128, in slotDeletePort
ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence
------------------------------------------------

* HAHAHAHAHAHa I've got something HUGE!!!!!!!!! (Sorry but I can't keep myself )
Console for VirtualBox :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Linux guys will love it! (me too)


Tested on windows!
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?page_id=38
for Linux check
http://lgallardo.com/en/2010/11/26/usan ... irtualbox/
http://technostuff.blogspot.com/2008/10 ... albox.html
http://automatthias.wordpress.com/2008/ ... irtualbox/
Code:
Configure the serial port of the VM (in VirtualBox VM parameter) this way :
    Port number: COM1
    Port mode: Host Pipe
    Create the pipe : Yes
    Path : \\.\pipe\vbox_whatever1
    Start the VM...

Start your Putty
    Create a connection with the following parameters : type=Serial, Serial line=\\.\pipe\vbox_whatever1, Speed=9600 (speed depends on what is set in the device)
    Open the connection
    putty -serial \\.\pipe\vbox_whatever1 -sercfg 9600,8,n,1,X
    putty -serial \\.\pipe\vbox_whatever1 -sercfg 9600
    putty -serial \\.\pipe\vbox_whatever1

PS: I think this also works in VMware....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bugs GNS3 0.8.2
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Canada
Hi,

Quote:
There is a problem for users that had a old version of GNS3 where Dynamips was "dynamips-wxp.exe" and now decided to update to this GNS3 version
Just modify that field to "hypervisor_path=dynamips.exe" if it is "hypervisor_path=dynamips-wxp.exe" inside the config "gns3.ini" file, only if is exactly that value (clearing user config should not be considered)


I have added a message box asking for the user if he wants to clear their old configuration. This is safer as too many things have changed.

Quote:
Last update to vpcs.bat :))


I've added the file :)

Quote:
"Add a note" Suggestion (By the way works great, thanks!!!)
Can you change ALT + "M", "P" with ALT + "+", "-" (numpad included)


This is not easy on a laptop with no numpad. So I support both ways. ALT and + (or P) / ALT and - (or M).

Quote:
In "IOS images and hypervisors\external hypervisors" the "Base AUX port" starts from "0" TCP port, the incrementation works fain...


Should be ok this time.

Quote:
* Fix the "Recent Files" - I remember you said something that it is the first in the file menu, well mine is the third one (I'll hate myself if this is not the last test version)
At my work computer is doing what is designed and more, but at home is a mystery to my self!
Also there is a problem when a topology/project is deleted, it alerts the user that is not a valid file and that it. (That entry should be deleted by gns3...)
- Open by "drag and drop" = Pass :)) Thanks for this!!!
- Open project or topology file = Pass
- Save project or topology file = Pass
- Save topology file as = Pass
- New blank project = Fail! (saved again have no effect)
- Save project as = Fail!


I made more adjustments and if a user click on an entry that has a non-existing path, the entry it is cleared.

Quote:
The "snapshots" is creating everything ok, you can load any version from the list, but after that the list is empty, and the delete option is not working at all.
The path are still combining...


Well for snapshots I am gonna pass for this release. As I said it needs a complete rethinking (both logical and code). Don't think many people use it as you are the first to report issues ... ;)

Quote:
I'm a little bit crazy, doing this, but I've found the bug ;))
Deleting all GNS3 SW (Ethernet switch) ports result in this...
------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GNS3\Ui\ConfigurationPages\Page_ETHSW.pyo", line 128, in slotDeletePort
ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence
------------------------------------------------


You have to be crazy to test these things ... anyway shame on me again on this one ;)

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHa I've got something HUGE!!!!!!!!! (Sorry but I can't keep myself )
Console for VirtualBox :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Linux guys will love it! (me too)


I have added it to the redmine.

Quote:
When you have some routers on the topology and start putting wires between them, would be nice to have the option to press "ESC"
to finish with "Add a link" mode without clicking on that button.


I have added the option to cancel with Escape.

Cheers,



_________________
Jeremy, GNS3 Programmer & Benevolent Dictator for Life.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO